I know it sucks, but that is well known if someone’s got problem, would like to hear how someone else deal with the same. Mine problem is swelling that is really hard in the jowl area. I have noticed this side effect, beside some more after I had face lift recovery. I would like to know if there is someone who is recovering too or has been recovered of face lift. I would like to hear some advice how to make these side effects of this surgery easier.

I think that I can relate to what you are going through, since I had face lift few years ago. I think mine was even scarier, because I have done facelift, neck lift, chin/neck liposuction and upper eyelid lift. I hated to feel that hardness and lumps under the skin. I had the greatest problems with jowl area and near my ears and cheeks. I have to disappoint you and say it could take even few months to become soft again. But I could say there is something which could make it easier to you. Try with gently massage of these areas, especially when you are in the shower or putting on some moisturizer. Also try with normal turning of the head and face expressions, which helped me to become smooth and soft. My doctor told me it is possible even to takes up to one year to fully heal after face lift. I really hope you will go fast through this recovery period and you will be happy with your look when all that passes.

I had a Face lift/neck lift 1 month ago...doing well but I was wondering about my under chin area...I had a incision there...as well as around both ears...the ears are doing perfect...the chin has a lot of scar tissue...I am having ultra sound treatments to soften them but ...so far not much difference. (six treatments) anyone else had this problem? and if so did the scar tissue/swelling ever go away? ( in my fourties) Thank you

Hi, I noticed your posts on facelift swelling. I am the nurse/office manager at a plastic surgeon's office and we began using a product called the AqueCool by a company called Aqueduct Medical about 6 months ago. It's a cooling masque that applies constant cooling, and let me tell you, the difference it makes with the facial surgical patients is remarkable. Much less swelling and bruising, and the masks are very soothing. Patients feel much less pain and discomfort, and use much less, if any, pain meds. At first I was skeptical, but I can tell you from 1st hand experience, the AqueCool works. Patients recover in half the time.

I have also had the longer-than-expected complications with extreme scar tissue:
But First, a reply about the comment:"just deal with the pain" :
altho I am dealing as best as I can (7 weeks post) my dr recently told me that in order for this scar tissue to resolve, I need to be out of work since I have a very physical job. Well. I cannot afford to quit my job, and if I take more time off, I will lose the job. These are tough economic times.
I had the lift so I'd look young enough to keep working for 5 more years, since i work with much younger people. Ha.
If anyone had told me I could lose my job, I would never have chosen to do this procedure. Not in ANY discussion or ANY written info did anyone ever say anything about such long term effects, or about detrimental re-injury of scarring tissue.
Apparently, I "re-injure' this tissue daily. So I am getting nowhere fast. I was told I'd be good to go at three weeks post. So telling people "deal with the pain" is a very one sided and unsupportive comment; your situation/reactions do not apply to everyone.. Working (and i mean literally working) through this pain is almost unbearable.

It can be really bad. I cannot hold a telephone to my ear(s) for more than a minute, I cannot turn my head in either direction and cannot look up or down since there is so much scar tissue under my chin. On many days at work, I do think about just giving up, quitting, rather than deal with the pain anymore....but i can't survive financially w/o a job. So, I am still trying to get by. Also, my limitations are pretty obvious and I do fear for my position if it does not get better. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.,,,,,,
So.......... i understand people's pain and fear. I wish I had advice, I hope for all of us that it does get better over time..................

Just wondering how you are foing now?

You are definately right on about not being informed about the recovery process. I am almost six weeks in from a neck and mid face lift, and I too, can't hold a phone to my ear. I have very hard lumps on my jawline and cheeks, and still some bruising! It is very frustrating when you are not properly informed, and basically soft selled the recovery. Two weeks my A#%!

I had a mini mid face lift April 23, & it's been 10 days. I'm having more swelling then I ever expected. I can't go out in public yet.
There is like a bubble or fat pocket along my right cheek. I have a very large hematoma under along my right jaw.
My left side isn't bad at all..but still very black & blue.
The swelling comes and goes but mostly stays. There are hard places in my cheeks.
I'm black & blue & some parts r turning yellow.
Sounds like some of us had the same extreme swellings.
So ..I hope this resolves itself & was worth it.
Should I ask to have my Doctor try to drain these..or do they just come back?

I may be too late for this discussion but I was so glad to just read about others who were surprised at how miserable they are recovering from a facelift.

I am 2 months out today from a total lift with eyes too, and am 66. I also got necrosis due to the Dr cutting the flaps too thin over my ears so I will not have hair over my ears anymore. I am actually dealing with that fine. At least there isn't blood on my pillow anymore as of 2 days ago. I still have the ropey neck thing behind the ears that I am massaging and have been for weeks with little improvement. Now the feeling is coming back I am actually having more problems getting comfortable sleeping especially on sore ears. This whole ordeal was "over glossed" to the point where the truth was not told as to what the actual recovery period is.

About the necrosis...I have never smoked in my whole life, have no hi BP or diabetes. Just had a great physical exam. It was the Physicians error but I have no recourse. I take that risk, I signed the paper.

I was glad to find that I wasn't the only one bothered with this swelling and neck irritation

Lexxy

I am 17 days post op. from a face lift and eye surgery. I am depressed and scared, but, hanging in there and hoping for the best. My drains were removed 9 days post op. I was told the delay was due to not eating enough protein, which, may be the case. I am bruised and swollen to at least twice my normal size. The high neck area is hard and feels as if a strap is wrapped tightly around it and being pulled. It is difficult to turn my head as the neck hurts when stretched. My entire jaw region is also swollen and hard. My ears are numb, swollen and feel as if they've been boxed. It is difficult to use a phone. My eyes are beady and red and the surrounding skin is hard. The sides of my face are numb, yet hurt if touched. My scalp tingles and must be combed VERY gently. It will be a long time before a hairdresser will be able to touch this head. Three weeks of sleeping on my back at a 45 degree angle has caused my back to become stiff yet I cannot yet have a massage (cannot lie down on massage table) or do yoga to correct this problem. I go out only when necessary and only with BIG, black sunglassses. I have put all activities....friends, work, yoga, excercise, etc.......on hold. I suspect this is going to be a three to four month recovery. I am 49, eat healthy, excercise regularly and am in good condition. My Dr. came highly recommended. I have seen some improvement over the last few days and am hoping for the best.

you describe it all very well but actually you are just on the brink of getting better. Just when I thought I was going over the edge mentally from all the discomfort that I didn't expect...and you really hit all the descriptions, like you were inside me... I some how got better or was able to withstand one more day. That was at about one month. That's when I actually let folks see me and went out in public with light make up. Of course that's when I got the necrosis and the areas over my ears started to die and turn black in a few places...just a charming thing...I wouldn't get near a hair stylist and have been hacking it myself. I still can't wear contacts from too much tension on my eyes from the swelling at more than 2 months.

I am far away from my doctor and sent him several detailed photos and he replied with the news that it was probably going to be 3 more months before all the swelling is down but no one else seems to see it...but I sure feel it. Sleeping is difficult every night. I still am not supposed to get sweat in my healing areas which makes exercise hard in the heat and exercise is suppose to help circulation...a conundrum! I am in a remote marina on a sailboat with no gym available.

You have the advantage of age and healing faster...hang in there.

8-|

"This is the first website I came across that discusses the reality of recovery. As well put by another poster, "Two weeks, my ((&$@%!" Most the advertising and marketing I read prior to the surgery stated, "Two weeks, two weeks" and, after the surgery and until l I found this site and read otherwise, I was beginning to think, "Oh, oh, I'm in trouble. It's been two weeks and I look like a freak." At least now I'm learning, "Yeah, it's a long, hard road with lots of bumps, dips and valleys." That's what I needed to know to settle me down and see me through. Now I can mentally prepare and realize, "This is the way it is. This is going to be your life for the next few months. Period." I can't even imagine the difficulties for those who thought they'd be back at work in two weeks and don't have the luxury of being able to hide out for at least one month.

I was able to go on a bike ride today....at night, so no one could see my face. First time in 18 days I've had any excercise or been outside without hiding behind sunglasses. Also, because of the forced inactivity, I've had to be extremely cautious with my diet.....fruits, vegetables, protien, no sugar, no salt, no desserts, no junk.....or, along with the face lift, I'll end up with another twenty pounds.

Sleeping propped at a 45 degree angle. Still swollen...look like a chipmunk. A part of my ear that used to be round and soft is now hard and square. Feels like the Dr. did something with the cartilage. Neck still tight, face numb. Using eye drops thoughout the day. The shape of my eyes is much less attractive than before....my eyes used to be almond shaped but are now slanted and beady. I am hoping this is temporary.

My life is on hold until this thing is through. My one saving grace is the fact my Dr. came highly recommended. I have my fingers crossed.

My sympathies to all who are having more difficulties than myself. My heart goes out to you. Thank you for sharing.

It's good to be able to talk about the disappointment. Don't worry about your eyes...and I cried for days over mine...so please trust me...they have a lot of changing to do. I called myself lizard eyes. Now my problem is I can't wear stud earrings because there is no room for the backs and I have some nice studs but most are wires and my hair is longer over my ears anyway.

The swelling will really start to go down with activity and warm compresses...have you been recommended that yet?

At least you will be looking better and better as the days go on even tho it will be nothing like you look now with the distortion. I still see a chipmonky look and my earlobes are a bit stikyouty for me but that come with that ropy thing that takes months to go down behind my ears. I had no idea my ears were so touchy. I have trouble sleeping on my sides and am tired of sleeping on my back altho I don't have ti sleep propped on 4 pillows. I only did that for 2 weeks.

I agree that it felt good to find one place where someone has been honest about what really happens even if you and I are the only ones who check in.

Lexxy,

How are you doing? What's going on with you now? Let me know. I'm interested.

I'm writing an update on my conditon for the benefit of future bloggers:

25 days post op.

Face still numb from they eyebrows to the jawline on both sides of the face.....everywhere except the forehead, nose and chin. One side is less numb than the other. It's painful if I push on it and just putting face lotion on is uncomfortable, especially aroudn the eyebrow and temple area.

The "pulled strap around the neck" feeling is gone only to be replaced by a "your skin is glued to something that has no give" feeling. I am able to turn my head from side to side, but, am still cautious. No yoga stretching! Skin under the chin is hard and poofy ( is the poofiness from the fat injection?). Jawline is sensative.

The sensitivity of the stitched area around the entire ear has finally subsided (I had wondered at one time if I would ever be able to wash around my ears again). I was able to get in there with shampoo and clean the stitches which allowed the scabs (yuck) to come off. Feel much cleaner. Was not able to touch that area for at least three weeks. I am putting Vitamin E on the scars each night, which means I now have greasy hair each morning!

The ears feels like a big, fat nothing and hurts if I push on them. Again, one side is more numb and sensative than the other. I can use the phone only gently with one ear; I do not use the phone on other ear. I hold the phone with my hand and do not use my shoulder to "cradle" the phone; the speaker phone helps.

Swelling has gone down, but, I'm not sure how much of this is swelling and how much is from the fat transfer. I hope some of this is swelling; I have high cheek bones and as I aged the cheeks had sunken in, so, I'm not used to a "fat" face, which, apparently is supposed to be "youthful".

Cannot yet sleep on my stomach or side. I can sleep 1/2 on my back and 1/2 on my side and tilt my head to a certain angle so I'm not on either of my ears. That gives me three sleeping positons. Back, 1/2 side and 1/2 of the other side. I no longer sleep at an angle, but feel a bit more poofy in the morning because of it. Dr. said I can sleep on my face; told him I was afraid too. He said I can do so now as long as it's comfortable; that I can't "hurt" anything.

Back still a bit sore as I've not been able to do yoga. I have been riding my bike and walking to excercise.

Still wear sunglasses when I go anywhere. I never did wear makeup and still do not do so. Besides, in this heat and with my face already so uncomfortable, the last thing I'd want to do is add to it.

I asked dr. if I should massage any of the areas. He said "NO. You can let the water from the shower head gently massage the areas for no more than five minutes per day with lukewarm water only. And, put Vitamin E on the scars."

Eyes still look like lizard eyes. Slanted, not open. The scar on the eyelid is a big red slash red and evident when my eyes are closed. That is the one area that looks "frankensteinish". Sewed body parts. The Dr. said to put vitamin E on it, so, I assume it's going to take at least six months (?) for that to diminish. Eyes are still swollen. Teary eyed sometimes. The skin around the eyes feel as if someone put glue on it and then it dried and is pulling. Eyes get sore if I read too much. The feeling of sand in my eyes has gone away. The skin below and beside the eye is still red from the stitchtes, so, all in all, my eyes look red. I just keep tellig myself, "They're still healing, they're still healing. This isn't the final product." Hope that's true. There's no way I could walk into a room without people who knew me saying, "What happened to you?" In the end, I believe all will turn out OK, but, wow, the recovery period is something else.

(I had a funny experience. I FINALLY had to get out of the house and I went to meet with a meditation group. As we began to meditate I closed my eyes, and suddently realized, "Dang, I can't shut my eyes. I'd scare everyone off with these big gashes across the eyelid." So, I learned that night to meditate with my eyes open. Heh, as far as the meditation went, I learned something new. )

All in all, I would just like to get back to NORMAL. This has been a long and life changing experience and if I had to do it over again, I'm not sure that I would. My life is still on hold. I still do not look "normal". I look OK, but, it's obvious something is amiss. I'm still hiding out. My face and life is still uncomfortble. I miss my friends, family and daughters but, I didn't tell anhone about the surgery and am too self concious to go back until I look "normal". I'm not complaining; just stating the facts. This is no cakewalk. And, yes, I know it was elective and there is much worse in life, but, this is a cosmetic surgery blog.

I'm really happy to have found a place where people are discussing this. I had a chin lift and lower eyes done on July 2. I also did a lot of research...this is the same doctor my aunt used...and I'm just hoping it evntually works out. I cannot believe how condescending his office staff...who were lovely when I went for the consultation...and he are. I still have trouble turning my head and feel like I have a rubber band that goes from my neck to my ears and from ear to ear. Also, Insteadof having one double chin, I seem to have one on either side of my face with a very flat spot in the middle. I'm hoping that is just extra fluid and will go away.