I am so thankful to have found this site. I had a facelift, necklift and lower eye bleph on Jan 31 2011 at 59 years old. First of all, I was completely unprepared for the extent of trauma, both physical and emotional that I would experience after these procedures.
I expected the swelling, a bit of temporary bruising, etc. I did not expect that "strangulation" sensation for the first few weeks. Thankfully it is now just a tightness in the neck that comes and goes. I had terrible bruising under my eyes. I did not expect the hard numb cheeks and feeling like I was wearing a fake face. My under eye area feels kind of "hollow". My face feels unfamiliar to my touch and it freaks me out. But the worst thing I am experiencing right now is what I thought was prolonged bruising under my eyes. The PS said that I am one of the few people who take much longer to recover and to be patient that the skin under the eyes is very thin and delicate. I am two 1/2 months into healing and I have very dark brownish rings under my eyes high on my cheekbones. They are almost impossible to cover. The dermatologist looked at them and thinks not bruising but a kind of hyper pigmentation from the trauma of the surgery. He gave me bleaching cream. The PA still thinks they are rements of bruising and will go away. I am trying hard not to regret doing this, but I kind of wish I could turn back time. I have nightmares every night and I have to keep talking myself out of panic attacks. I have spoken to my daughters and husband about this but I don't want to upset them any more. I have a cruise in May and I hope I won't be as self conscious as I am now and can actually enjoy it.

You good people on this message board can relate to what I'm going through. I read every message and a lot of you made me feel much better and not so alone. Now realistically I know it will take at least a few more months to feel like myself again. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this under eye trauma and can give me some advice or encouragement.

I am so sorry that this is bothering you so much, but I will tell you this. For every surgery a person does there is a consequence. Some lose dignity, eye sight, or in your case another piece of beauty on your face that was not meant to be damaged. When someone gets a facelift or instince there will be scars and bruises. There will also be a change in your face because hense you got a facelift. Your face is now perminitly changed because you had a medical problem or couldn't live with your old one. The best thing I can tell you to do is move on and live with what you now have. You got what you wished for didn't you? Keep using your bleeching cream and get a nice eye cream from Sephora! The people there will not judge you, and will find the best product for you!:-D Just one last thing! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Be confident in yourself and you WILL SHINE! Anyone who judges you on apperance is stupid and is not a classy person. An amazing personality always wins!

GOOD LUCK!

Let me guess... Was your horrible, unskilled surgeon Dr. Andrew Jacono too?

You seem to be very pessimistic from the get go. I had the exact same procedure and did not have any of the "trauma" feelings you describe. My cheeks are not numb and I do not have bruising under the eye. Day two was the most swollen, then the swelling went away. I already went out on day 3 with no make up. Feeling of tightness is expected because the doc pulled a lot of loose skin. My face does not feel like a "mask" and I am very happy with the results and progress and I am only a few days after surgery.

It is always best to watch videos of the surgery on U Tube so you know exactly what your face/neck is going through. There is also tons of online information and before and after pics. It seems that you are pessimistic and it won't help the recovery. So stay positive even if it takes your body longer to heal. Your new face will 100% look better than your 59 year old face