I'm 53 years old. Got mono 26 years ago diagnosed with CEBV. I had severe lingering effects after 8 weeks. 6 months later I was still ill and Doc diagnosed CEBVS. The "S" part for syndrome is now recognised by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) as CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), and CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome). After being basically in bed for 8 months I received a packet from a support foundation. 1 of those 50 brochures said that marijuana helps with "Glandular Fever" which is a symptom of Epstein Barr Virus. Some also call it mono, but the fever is actually only one symptom.

When I began smoking I was able to return to work on a limited basis. Going to school was out - too stressful.

If you get it when you are a child almost nothing happens to you, although Asian children have a different ride sometimes. If you get it when you are a teenager you get Infectious Mononucleosis and should recover completely within 4-8 weeks. If you get it when you are an adult 24 yrs of age thereabouts, or older, you may wind up with CEBVS, or known today as CFS, CFIDS. The National Institute of Health (NIH) cites papers originating in Japan and other Asian countries that flat out states CAEBV is fatal. Chronic Active Epstein Barr Virus. If you are younger than an adult and are not Asian, and only have mono you should recover completely. EBV affects most Westerners in the B-cell lymphocyte which is a white blood cell. EBV usually affects Asians in the T-cell lymphocyte so can be more dangerous. However, even for patients whose white blood cells are affected an active ongoing infection can lead to cancer. EBV was first discovered in 1964 inside a patient with Burkitts lymphoma.

THC is known to inhibit an enzyme which effectively combats cancer. THC is also a killer of cancer itself. A tiny amount not even enough to get "high" is all it takes to stop the bad effects caused by glandular fever (99 degree temp with body aches and sometimes painful joints). A doctor is not allowed to inform patients in states where medical marijuana is not legal that it works. However, they are allowed to verify for you if you ask them first. They just cannot recommend it for you, therefore, will not mention it if you do not mention it first.

Hope that helps, and also eliminates some fear for the younger crowd that should recover completely.

I have had mono for about a week in a half. i have a severe sore throat, and i have been smoking anyway. i believe the smoking was only making my throat worse. At this point i cant swallow with out breaking down in tears because of the pain. and usually i tolerate pain pretty well. i have had numerous amounts of surgerys, so really im use to pain. but absolutely nothing can explain the pain in my throat. 

MONO begins with a number of things: a very sore throat is one of them. You can find information about it at the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), and at NIH (National Institutes for Health). It is also known as a Chronic Epstein Barr infection. Under an older protocol it used to be called Chronic Epstein Barr Virus Syndrom (CEBVS) if it lasted for more than 6 months: that's when you are in trouble. Today it is grouped together with a number of other illnesses called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS - about 8 conditions listed with an Epstein Barr virus infection being listed as the first possible cause), and Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS - immune system can become over, or under active). In Asia it is known as Chronic Active Epstein Barr Virus Syndrome (CAEBVS): the best name I've seen.

You wouldn't really need to smoke unless you don't recover after the first 8 weeks, it lingers for months, and turns into years. If you are young you might not even be sick for 6 weeks. Most people completely recover unless they are older (Westerners), or are of Asian desent, in which case, some Asian children "I've heard" and read, can become quite ill. Western children don't seem to be affected much (probably appears as a cold that goes away), but when they become teenagers are susceptible to MONO. If you are an adult (24+) that's when things get weird: after awhile you almost recover, but not quite, and then it gets a little worse every year. Kinda like you can get shingles if you had chicken-pox which shows us a virus with different symptoms at different ages due to they are both herpes viruses. So is MONO (Epstein Barr virus): a herpes virus.

Make sure you talk to your doctor about it, or see a doctor if you haven't already done so since I am not a doctor, and I do not give medical advice. I'm simply sharing my experience. Since this is a herpes virus, it means it is also a stress related disease. It affects the adrenal, hypothalamus, and pituitary glands: this triad of glands (two are in the brain) is the stress-mechanism. Too much physical stress can feel the same as too much psychological stress since the virus also attacks part of the brain: the stress mechanism. Too much stress can make you sick, and even give you a fever (makes sense since you are sick). If you feel anxiety - stop being scared - it then simply turns into too much adrenaline if you can remove the worry: it's not good to be like this either, but it's alot better. There are over 50 different symptoms you could get. Your eyes might not like sunlight for awhile. You could gain, or lose weight. You also need to do your own research since I'm not sure how well doctors are informed. 12 years later I had gastrointestinal mucosa which can cause a blockage that does not show during a colonoscopy since air pressure is used. I kept getting sent to a gastrointerologist who couldn't do anything for me, because he wasn't even considering the Epstein Barr virus. At one point he wanted to take a perfectly healthy gall bladder "to see" if that helped. God helped me - I fired the DOC! I didn't learn of my condition with the mucosa until I had the chemotherapy which, believe it or not, helped. Chemo kills white blood cells, and too many white blood cells in my gut tissues is what was causing the mucosa (takes up space, and more space, and then more - alot of inflammation, pain, and bleeding in the end: literal, and a pun). Except for the damage from the mucosa, and my body being crippled from the chemotherapy, I'm feeling pretty good in my guts these days.

Different people have different symptoms. Just because one thing happened to someone doesn't mean it will always happen to others. Something different happens that I don't have experience with. If those other things are due to mucosa I wouldn't know - Epstein Barr virus is weird. One of the things you learn is how to not hate people that do not understand since there may bee many opportunities to learn that lesson after a couple of decades passes. It certainly teaches character if one can keep from being too bitter.

The best thing that helped me was refusing to be a victim back in 1987 when I first became ill, and not feel sorry for myself. I did have to change my life. Slow down.

Make sure you talk to your doctor, get plenty of rest, drink fluids, you know the rest. BE RELAXED!!! If you have to sleep 14 hours - sleep 14 hours. That's about all you can do besides manage your symptoms as needed.

As I recall from 26 1/2 years ago, yes, severe sore throat - my glands are still swollen, but I don't get a sore throat anymore. As to your sore throat being so inflammed, yes, I can see where smoking would certainly make it worse.

I don't know if I've been helpful to you with my response. I'm hoping you are young and will just feel like you are dying for a short period of time that may seem to you like it will never end, and make a complete recovery in time. If you are an adult you might have to begin stress management at some point in your life to manage your symptoms. There is no cure. Being aware of what the disease affects helps. Not that they are doing much about it, but the CDC has information under various headings that include the words, "Epstein Barr Virus", "CFS", and "Chronic Fatigue". You can also find numerous cited articles at NIH that are from Asia where it seems the real work into learning about this virus is being done. I was told by my doctor I would get worse and worse every year a little bit more than the previous year. In about 20 yrs I was to expect it to settle some other place in my body than my throat, head, and chest, but it wouldn't be known where until it happened. I would feel symptoms of lymphoma a few years before it did settle. It didn't mean I would get cancer, but there was a possibility I could. This is an oncogenic virus: a cancer virus. It took from 1987 until 2011 when I went in for chemotherapy. Nobody knows how long I had cancer before treatment. Just because I did doesn't mean you would.

EXACTLY INCORRECT!

It physically attacks the body and the brain.

I have mono right now and i smoked last night and it seemed to really help the pain but this morning my throat feels awful and i think it made it swell more so unless you have a vaporizer or edibles I wouldnt do any weed.

I am a freshman in college just getting over mono. It was at it's worst about a week and a half ago, but now I feel 100%. I am getting very impacient with the fact that I can't do any physical activity or drink. I smoke pretty frequently and am hoping I can smoke weed because there really isn't anything else I can do. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't smoke using my own bowl?

No not really but it affects your liver and spleen so if you get hit in either of those while having mono they can swell up and you may possibly die

sounds like you gave a lot of your friends that shared those joints will the virus also.. stay home when ill.

best post ever, love the advice ahaha

You know you can juice the marijuana leaves? Its better to ingest it than smoke it! Or you can make a special oil!

Literally the same situation with me except I have tonsillitis also this helped a lot thanks

I advise against it. I smoke just about everyday but with the symptoms of mono, I feel as if it made them worse. I would get a really quick heartbeat and I would shake uncontrollably until I fell asleep. You shouldn't smoke until fully healed.

lol dude im in the same boat as you.

Dude, you know mono is passed through slaiva? So you smoking bud with your friend, just got your friend infected with mono.

I just found out i had mono today and i have bin experiencing swolllen glands and hard to swallow , it makes it easier to swallow if u eat crackers (salty) with chicken noodle soup (Garlic) i also find it easier to swallow when sitting up