I have problems with acne. The outbursts are not frequent but my face and back are really far from clean and clear. I was told that oranges can cause acne - I eat them all the time. Sometimes, to be honest, even I can spot the worsening of the situation when I eat oranges. Do oranges really cause acne or is it just one of the misconceptions of those who can’t get rid of them?

The misconceptions concerning acne are really numerous and they vary from the idea that you can’t eat particular foods to the belief that sex causes acne. The truth is that there is no proven connection between food and acne. No scientific researches prove that any kind of food is to be blamed for the appearance or outburst of acne. People usually mention junk food or chocolate in this context, but there are other ideas - for example, yours. It is crystal clear that the quality of the food you take will affect your body and its health. Your body means your skin, too. The conclusion is that if you eat junk food your body will eventually suffer certain consequences. This can reflect in the condition of your skin. However, there is no reason to avoid oranges - eating fruits and vegetables can only do you and your skin good. On the other hand, some people develop allergic reactions to particular kind of food. If you really can notice the consistent worsening of your problem after orange consumption perhaps you should talk to your doctor about it.