A couple of days ago I noticed a sour smell coming from my vagina. I have always had a little bit of discharge all the time, there may have been a little more when I noticed the smell, but it wasn't too unusual. I have no itching, burning or swelling, I hardly even notice anything. I have been wearing scented painty liners and that seems to help and the past the couple of days the smell has been better. I was just worried about it. any advice.

Hi there. Every girl, at least once in a year, is having this type of problem. I had it as well, and I know a lot about it, I do know that bacterial vaginal infections such bacterial vaginosis or trichomoniasis cause strong, fishy vaginal odors.So, you are saying that you have a sour smelling vagina - that is because of some infection. vaginal smell causes so many things, so my advice for you is to better check your gynecologist about this issue. Sometimes, this is a thing that you cannot heal alone - you will need help and antibiotics as well, it seems to me. 

Hi, Vaginal infection is the only thing that I can think about. Vaginal smell causes so many different factors, but the infection is the only thing that I can suspect about at this moment. I think that I don't know a girl who didn't have problems with this. I had it as well, so many times. Bacterial vaginal infections such as bacterial vaginosis or trichomoniasis cause strong, fishy vaginal odors, and this happens to you as well. Better check with your gynecologist for some further therapies, because in this case, to get rid of this ugly smell, you will need help and antibiotics as well. 

I have the same problem and it's been about 16 years since i first noticed it. i noticed it in my teens and it's quite common. I wear panty liners every day because of a light discharge. Occasionally, the smell gets a little "sour" as you said and it's pretty normal for me. I don't know if it might have to do with my period coming or possibly ovulation but it's just something I always deal with. I have no medical info aboutt his but as far as I'm concerned, some people just have strong vaginal odour sometimes and it's nothing abnormal. if you are really worried and it happens a lot I suggest seeing your family docotr or an OBGYN about it.

About the issue you ahving down there i know this might be akward because im a dude..but its a slight yeast infection..nothing to freak out about..is the discharge white and sometimes mabey yellow? if it is then im right ^_^. the only thing you can do is go to a docter. dont freak out its nothing. he will prescribe anit-bods and everythig should clear ub in one too three weeks. 

first of all, just because a discharge is white or yellow does not make it yeast. it can be BV, and there is a world of difference between the two.
you don't get antibiotics for a yeast infection -- antibiotics are only given for bacterial infections (like BV). they do nothing at all for a yeast infection; yeast infections are treated with anti-fungal.
there are so many factors that can upset the normal balance of the vagina, and some people are prone to this problem. they will experience this many time. some women don't seem to ever have these issues.
the only think you got right at all was that the poster should see a physician. in the future, you should probably refrain from posting about woman's health.

Actually he is right, the discharge is yellow or white. And I think he was just trying to help out and calm the poster's nerves from thinking she has anything wrong with her. Also, I've heard the exact same thing about a woman have 1 or 2 in her life.

Most things that you have said are right on!!!! That "dude" dose not know what he is talking about.

I have worked in ob/gyn for 3 years as a nurse and there are definite differences between the two. Bacterial infections seem to be the more common problem for women and most times go unnoticed. Not all women experience symptoms that they would call abnormal. Some of the most common symptoms include, redness and swelling of vag. tissue and labia, increased amount of vaginal discharge that may still be clear or it could be slightly off color, fishy odor (or any change in your normal odor at all), and sometimes lower abdominal pain, painful intercourse and and increased foul smell after intercourse. The only way you can determine for sure if you have a bacterial infection is to see your doctor. He or she can swab the vaginal discharge and look at it under a microscope to diagnose the problem and treat you w/ an antibiotic like Flagyl or tindamax.

Yeast infections can have some similarities of bacterial infections like the redness and swelling of tissue which seems to be worse at night. Some women experience clumpy white discharge but this is not w/ every woman. An odor usually accompanies a yeast infection which smells like baking bread. If you have had a yeast infection before you will probably know when you have one again and can treat w/ over the counter meds like Monistat 3 day (use the 3 day as it completely kills the infection better than the one day) but if this is your first see your doctor.

There are ways to prevent these problems. These infections occur w/ a shift in your normal vaginal PH level. Shift one way and it allows the normal fungus that is normally in your vagina to overgrow and shift the other way and bacteria overgrows. To prevent issues, never take a BATH!!! Sitting in a bath w/ soap w/ fragrance easily throws off PH. Shower only. Use Cetaphil face wash to was vaginal area and rectal area as it is soap and fragrance free. Only wear cotton underwear as it allows vaginal area to breath and stay drier. It is also best to sleep w/out underwear. Ditch the THONG underwear. Every time you bend over or sit the thong drags bacteria from your rectum right up into your vagina!!! GROSS!!! Always make sure your man takes a shower prior to sex to prevent bacteria spread and that he washes his hands. You can also use an OTC product called RePHresh. It balances the vagina's PH level. Use after sex and your period.

Doing these things can greatly decrease occurrences of yeast and BV infections. And for petes sake WIPE FROM FRONT TO BACK!!!

First of all, xxxfluffyemoxxx good for you for trying to help in an area that most men are deathly afraid of; I will come back to you. Second, reply to xxxfluffyemoxxx’s post was rude and uncalled for; unless you are seeing a screen flooded with replies to the question, I feel that anyone taking the time to reply deserves an ounce of RESPECT! O.K. xxxfluffyemoxxx, you are right about white discharge most likely being a yeast infection but here I go just letting you in on a bit of correct info to hopefully encourage you to continue to post to show your concern for others but to do so with a little bit more accurate info: Yeast infections for genital areas are closely related to the complications of athlete’s foot or jock itch in that too much sex, tight clothing, moist dark areas without ventilation prompt rapid growth of bacteria which in turn triggers the body to defend itself against bacteria, upsetting the pH level of the surrounding tissues making it optimal for an over growth of yeast. You meant to say anti FUNGAL, not antibiotics. In addition, anti fungal creams are “over the counter” as are new home test kits comparable to home pregnancy kits which allow the user to test at home and then try an over the counter product. As for your estimate that women get 2 in a life time, I have never had a single one at 34 years of age despite of all of my overuse of antibiotics (cause yeast infections quite easily unless the course is counterbalanced by eating yogurt and other products high in live active bacterium) but I know women who have them monthly. I have been told that the main trigger for recognizing a yeast infection is horrible itching and burning and common sense to know that you have not put your self at risk for an STD that would cause the same symptoms. I think that the majority of the hype behind sending women tot the Dr. over yeast infections is to address that population of women who have frequent multiple partners whom could have contracted or spread something far worse than a yeast infection. Common sense again, from a woman in a monogamous relationship, IF I EVER GET WHITE/YELLOW STINKY ANYTHING COMING FROM A SORE ITCHING VAG AFTER HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX WITH SOME RANDOM MAN… I WOULD GO TO A DR. ASAP! :}

As for original post and question: ditch the panty liners-ditch the underwear- air out. I noticed the same problem and I was freaked out because I have never had a yeast infection-shower sometimes twice a day and so on- I think the sour smell comes from a chemical reaction to laundry soap and fragrances in your panty liners and panties. I noticed that my problem only occurred while wearing freshly laundered WHITE underwear. I bleach the hell out of my white clothes and through process of elimination, I have found that during ovulation when my pH levels differ from norm, any discharge (always clear, odorless {wipe your vag. Not your urethra or bum or insert a tampon and pull it out and sniff it or your tissue- I know it sounds gross, but you should find that the clear ovulation discharge does no smell sour; that it is your panties that in turn cause your vulva to and urethral area to smell sour} that comes into contact with my panties; which I am assuming still hold quite a bit of bleach residue, smells sour. If your panty liners are scented and contain baking soda, you are really altering your pH without intending to. If you need a liner make your own out of sterile bandages or gauze until your back to you. In addition, if sour smell if following a bath and not shower you are using soap that is too hash for your system. Go to baby products of use hair shampoo on your bottom as it is closest to a neutral pH level and still offers the cleaning. Do not use scented soaps, sprays, liners, tampons…..

I think that guy fluffy really did just have good intentions and it was uncalled for to jump down his throat. If he hadn't mentioned he was a guy then his misinformation would have been overlooked without so much hostility. I'm happy for women of today, of how we have come so far...have claimed power....but lets not beat the men over the head with new found power.

actually the guy that first made the assuption about the yeast infection was on the right path, don't put him down like that it was way better than what the other woman wrote about living with hers for years. Listen, do not douche, do not wear pantiliners especially ones with fragrance, do not clean up in your vag our bodies do that themselves, for a yeast infection use antifungal like monostat, but if it gets worse and can turn into BV and antibiotics are needed to fight that. Correct hygene is best for your knowledge to not get these, especially if you are having unprotected sex.

It is never good for anyone to diagnose another person, especially on the internet, and most especially if not a professional. Certainly, even a doctor would not diagnose over the phone and would insist on examination. Further, an in-person examination does not always fully diagnose. Often a slide under the microscope and a culture is necessary, and it is not uncommon for someone to have more than one ailment at a time. There are so many different diagnoses, it would be impossible to tell someone not to worry, or to worry. Infections are different for everyone, and gone untreated, can lead to more serious ailments. Although it's never nice to be rude, it is also not good to provide misleading information on these posts.

All of her stuff is stuff i have and ive been to doctors and its NOT ANYTHING AT ALL. sooooooooo everyone needs to chill

Lol anti biotics can cause a yeast infection. especially if ur on the pill. thanx for coming out "dude"

Hello to all---

An old dude here-------
Have four females here now and recently had six...all relatives-------three daughters, wife, two siblings.

The discussion seemed to wander away from the questioners topic, will attempt to stay with the question.

The proper answer has already been given-----go to your physician.
There are numerous things that may cause the problem thus, let your physician prescribe for you. The reasons
run the gamut from foods, to soaps, to laundry detergent used in washing your undies,
and of course various personal contacts so proceed to your doctor. [Two daughters, RNs, one CNA]

We in our family have gone through many RX prescriptions, herbal, homeopathic remedies all sanctioned by our family doctor,
who coincidentally is a lady doctor and an internist.

After you have visited your doctor, use your search engine to research the problem you had.
The efforts expended to know about your body is time well spent....