After two weeks of sick kids and sick me I can't find the motivation to get on the treadmill again. I ran outside once in that time but my chances to get outside is limited to weekends so I need to drag my butt onto that TM soon.

On a good note, I did sign up for my 1st 5k in October. You would think that would be motivation but no, for three days I've been saying I'm going to get started again tomorrow. Well, tomorrow as come and gone 3 times now.

I even did a spinerval tape with the bike trainer today to avoid the treadmill and I hate to use the bike trainer :x

Immediately put on your running gear. Then you HAVE to run cuz you feel pretty silly/stupid doing nothing around your house dressed in your gear...

Start walking--either on the TM or outside. That'll get old fast. Soon you'll want to run.

It could also be your body saying: please, take a break--the house, the kids, the responsibilities have been exceptionally taxing and I need a rest!!

Make a promise to yourself and keep it. Something like, "I promise not to eat any more chocolate until I run 3 miles."

The eating and chocolate parts can be replaced by just about anything.

That promise wouldn't work for me. I'd cheat on anyone for some good chocolate...including myself But I get the idea. Thanks for the sugestion.

i've found this to be true for me personally: when i really really really can not stand the thought of going out for a run or clomping up :x onto :? the :( treadmill---that is absolutely the time i need it the most and, subsequently, the time i get the most out of it. let the procrastination be a hint: this is gonna be good, very good for me both mentally and physically. GET OUT THERE!!!!!

I read this line somewhere: 'Are you gonna be a wimp? or a warrior?'

I don't fully enjoy it but it pops into my head when I'm second-guessing a run...and....who wants to be a wimp?

Not I, said the fly.

Thanks for the motivational speaches! I'm back in the game :banana:

I needed the kick in the pants and certianly don't want to be a wimp so I'll be a warrior... a slow, huffing and puffing warrior but it beats being a wimp

I need to have that saying under my avatar! :D Nothing wrong with being slow. I tell myself that daily. RR was right, the days I absolutely dread running are the days I do my best. Think of it as something to look forward to.
How was the run?

I'm very slow too, but I've decided that I'm just not going to be fast, and I'm completely ok with it. What helps me is knowing that 1) I'm in this for health, not competition and 2) I'm doing more than most people are doing, whether I'm fast OR slow.

The mill can get to be tiresome, but I put on my mp3 player and my headphones and just listen to my favorite music and that always seems to help. How old are your twins? (God bless you btw, I so admire anyone with more than one the same age, esp. when they're little!!) I too think those who do this with little kids, esp. SAHM's, are amazing. I cannot imagine undertaking this when any of them were very little.

I've got to tell you, with school and homework, housework, and 3 kids, I know I will have days that it will be hard to get my run in. Since Jake will be in preschool in a couple weeks, along w/ the older 2 being in school, I'll probably be spending 2 weekdays hitting the books for those 3 hours with no kids, and then 3 days of running/hitting the books for those 3 hours with no kids. This might be the only thing that saves me!! I assume yours are too young to enjoy the benefits of school, but it will be something to look forward to.

Of course we can always find something that needs to be done other than running--that's the problem!! I sincerely do think though there are times when you just won't run, and that it is ok... As long as you are getting on that treadmill more often than you are saying "I just cannot do it today," then it's all good. Anything is better than nothing, but remember me: I ended up quitting because I just didn't make time for it. I'm determined to not quit again, and it sounds like you are determined to keep going. YAY for both of us!

Hugs,
Brie

Very well said!!! I'm going through much of the same motivation-wise, since I've been benched for so long and I really can't get into anything else as much as I can running. With everything you have to do, cut yourself a little slack. Brie put it well, as long as there are more days where you are doing something than not, you're doing, for now, the best you can. As things change, you'll find you have more time for running once you get the mindset that this is good for you (and fun) rather than a chore. When it becomes a chore, which it has for me in the past because I was beating myself up too much over not doing it, it is way harder to look forward to it.
Give yourself credit for doing what you can, and know that every run you take does great things for your body. You've no doubt got your hands full, so indulge in that little bit of "me" time and savor it.
Another thought to get outside more....is there anyone else you know that you could trade babysitting with for an hour or so to enable you to get out more often? The mill can be a real PIA for those who hate it, and that could be part of the root of your motivation issues. How old are your kids?

Kattzoo: it was pretty good. I alternated walk/run about 50/50. Since I didn't have a watch with me I just kind of made it up as a went. I plan to jump back into the C25K program tomorrow when I return to the TM.

Brie: My girls are 2 days shy of 11 months and yes they are a bit of a handfull. But my hat is off to you too. In another life I was a full-time law student and worked full-time too. Being a SAHM is by far way more work. I can' t imagine having three kids and trying to be a student too. You are so right about always finding something else that needs to be done. Just like you, I am determined to make running a priority and I agree YAY for us :thumbsup:

Genie: Getting outside is really hard for me right now. I have had a hard time finding any sort of childcare for my 2 babies and the few babysitters we have that are comfortable with 2 babies at once are generally only available on weekends. I'm determined though and I plan to make the TM my friend. I will try to keep in mind what both you and Brie said about getting on more days then I don't and that will have to be good enough right now.

Thanks again for all the encouragement. You guys are great!