Re-post from the similar topic -
I was glad when I found this forum and I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories.
I had "pulse in ear" for a few months. It went away for a bit but came back. I noticed that it wasn't as bad when I was lighter. As I put on a few pounds it's gotten worse. Also, I typically take a teaspoon of bee pollen every morning (great source of vitamin B is one of the benefits). I was out for about a week and was too lazy to stop by the store to get more. I finally got some yesterday. I go to herbologyst every other week. When I described my problem she suggested Horse Chestnut. I started taking it yesterday (2 capsules in the morning, 2 in the afternoon). So far this morning my head is blissfully quiet! I even tried to trigger the pulsing – bending down, moving my head from side to side... Nope – still good. I felt pressure in my ear in the morning, but it's gotten better as the day went on. So, the three things that worked for me are weight control, bee pollen and horse chestnut (the one I am taking is by Planetary Herbals, Horse Chestnut – Vein Strength). Perhaps this is something you would like to check out for yourself.

Last night I read this whole forum thread because I'm dealing with the same heartbeat-like whooshing noise in my ears. Honestly, I freaked out. I wanted to go to the ER right away. I was so afraid that I was going to deal with this for the rest of my life.

I'm happy to say that I will not live with this forever :-D I just made a huge move from Mid-Florida (Wet ALWAYS and clean air!) to LA, California (Dryyyyyyyyyyyy and lots of smog). I have developed allergies from all this! Also not to mention Florida is below sea level and LA just isn't at all lol Which explains why....I have air bubbles stuck in between my ear drums and inner ear canal that connects to my nose and throat. I'm also getting a lot of popping in my ears when I swallow or even move my head back. That's the air bubbles moving around "ping ponging" back and forth.

I would highly suggest the ones who have allergies, or don't even know they have allergies and my symptoms in this forum to get this checked out and inform your doctor that this may be the problem. It could go undetected if the air bubbles are not against your eardrum at the time examination. Luckily, I'm a really small person who has very small ears -_- (had to use a kids scope, great I'm a 23 year old woman and I'm the size of a 10 year old) and the air really has no where else to go. The doctor gave me Zpac (for infection, also used for the flu), subscription nasal spray with a "cocktail of medicines" to loosen the blockage and told me to get on allergy medicine permanently until I get pregnant one day.

I really hope this helps someone out there! I only had to deal with the wooshing noise for 2 weeks. I can't imagine having to deal with this for years! Tonight or Tomorrow, I'll be sleeping with wonderful silence 8)

Hi, I've had pulsatile tinnitus for about a year. Still going to doctors. It can be very frustrating, although I have more good days than bad days now. The first six months were the worst, mainly because of anxiety. There is a site for pulsatile tinnitus sufferers at whooshers dot com or you can do an online search for whooshers. There are lots of articles and firsthand stories from other sufferers there, at all stages of their PT. Since there are many possible causes, it's interesting and helpful to read other people's experiences with PT and ideas for coping. Thanks to everyone here for telling yours.

I've had a heart condition all of my life, with 2 surgeries due to aortic conditions. I have always heard a thumping in my ears, but not the whooshing. If you've had lots of echo-cardiograms like me, then you can clearly hear when you get to the whooshing. That part may be worth checking out. I first learned I had a murmur at 15. I had mechanical aortic valve replacement 2 years ago. I now have a clicking sound in my ears. It is more than welcome to hear, because it means everything is working correctly. So, what you may call a whoos may be what I call my thump, but if there is whooshing, like the sound of a sponge being squeezed and released of liquid, maybe you should have it checked.

I've had this problem in my right ear for 1 year and 3 months now. It comes and goes throughout the day- maybe 3-6 hours a day and it's worse in the morning. It's worse if I have a cold. So I went to a ENT doctor about 6 months ago and they did a bunch of hearing tests. Turns out I have otosclerosis (this means the 3 little bones in my ear are gets spongy and hardening and this will eventually cause deafness) AND I have TMJ. I had a little bit of wax build up which she cleaned out too. But she couldn't say for certain what is causing the pounding sound- could be be the TMJ and/or otosclerosis, maybe not. But she said I didn't have an ear infection...

Now, I know that it went away briefly when I took antibiotics for something else about 8 months ago, but it came right back after about 2 weeks. I had taken Cipro (which is kind of a nasty antibiotic and actually made me really sick). Cipro contains flouride which is a treatment for otosclerosis, so I don't know if it was antibiotic that made it go away briefly or the flouride. (I can't take flouride regularly for the otosclerosis because it's too hard on the digestive system). But if it is an infection, why would it come right back?

Also, I don't smoke or take any medications and I'm a 38 yo woman. I was recently diagnosed with a major Vitamin D deficiency but after 3 weeks on Vit. D, I haven't seen any change in my hearing.

I also have a weird sensitive hearing thing where certain sounds are especially loud and almost painful to me. Has anyone else experienced this? The sound of clanking plates and silverware really kind of bothers me. Isn't that weird? I mentioned it to an ENT a long time ago and he looked at me like I was a little off. javascript:emoticon(':$') (So I didn't mention it this last time.)

I am studying to be a nutritional therapist practitioner. Hearing your heartbeat on your pillow is one of the questions on the Nutritional Assessment Questionnaire that we use to gather information from out clients. According to my guide book, this condition is most likely due to circulatory stress with bioflavinoid need. Bioflavinoids can be depleted quickly in people who take isolated forms of vitamin C (such as ascorbic acid), because your body needs bioflavinoids in order to absorb the vitamin C. When you eat a natural form of vitamin C, such as citrus fruits or bell peppers, you get the bioflavinoids along with the C, so you absorb it, no problem. When you take ascorbic acid, however, your body will actually pull the bioflavinoids from its own stores. Over time this can result in deficiency, and bioflavinoids are necessary for maintaining the integrity of the lining of the blood vessels. So I would recommend taking a low-dose natural vitamin C supplement with bioflavinoids, such as acerola, and see if that helps. It certainly can't hurt.

This condition can also be caused by vitamin B1 (thiamine) or calcium deficiency.

Hope this helps!

I am 63 years old, just had a hip replacement and ALL the physical examinations that accompany the surgery. All tests, including an Echo cardio / ekg / blood work-up / blood pressure, urine ... everything came out normal, for which I am grateful.

At the moment I am taking Percoset (SP?) for pain. The surgery was five days ago, I am home, able to move with a walker, and all seems to be fine. The only problem is the loud heart beat in both ears. While in the hospital, I asked all attending team members about this. I even asked the night nurse to put the stethoscope up to my ears to see if she could hear it! No, she couldn't. It seems so loud to me, keeps me awake is is very distracting. It is louder with exertion, but lately I haven't been running up any stairs, I can tell you that.

The only other time in my life that I heard this was when I was put in a life threatening situation and was truly scared. I have seen some old movies where they play the heart beat sound track and everybody seems to recognize this as shear fear.

I am in no fear, I do not feel stressed out, the surgery is over and all is fine except for the heart beat it my ears.

Nobody in the hospital had a clue as to the cause. I would like for it to go away now so that I can get some sleep. I do not think it is life threatening, but would love to know the cause. I was surprised that none of the doctors or nurses had even heard of this ailment.

So, if anybody out there in cyber space has an idea, I would love to hear it. I am not overweight, normal blood pressure, in good shape, happy home and husband.

I am stumped. Thanks for the site.

Hello everyone,
I have had Pulsating Tinnitus for about 5 weeks I did have hearing tests which turned out good, I will see an ENT specialist on 4 June. But around a week ago I changed my diet, I now take good old teaspoon of cod liver oil, relaxed more and cut out saturated fat, just checking everything, I eat. I read that eating a Banana about two to three hours before bed helps. it worked for me. I am using Benecol spread which is just as good as butter. and twinnings Lemon and ginger tea. I went to bed last night and a miracle happened, that awful whooshing sound had gone. I am thinking maybe a lot of this is hypertension as i was inclined to worry about trivial things. And my eating habits were quite poor really and can cause high cholestral lI am not saying this works for everyone but when you have this awful thing anything is worth a try, I do still have a bit of dizziness when i turn around in bed. I will let you know how I get on at the doctors.

Guest wrote:

I also have a weird sensitive hearing thing where certain sounds are especially loud and almost painful to me. Has anyone else experienced this? The sound of clanking plates and silverware really kind of bothers me. Isn't that weird? I mentioned it to an ENT a long time ago and he looked at me like I was a little off. javascript:emoticon(':oops:') (So I didn't mention it this last time.)

weird?? I thought that was a natural reaction everybody has to help prevent exposure to loud noises. But if not, I suppose that helps explain why I don't like night clubs or anything else that's loud.

Whenever i did quite heavy physical exercise, my right ear would feel like it blocks up and each breath would feel like a suction on my ear, then all i would hear in that ear is heart beat until shortly after the exercise. Now however, I can exercise without getting that blocked ear feeling, but I can hear a wooshing/heartbeat sound when i watch tv or sleep. I have a feeling that I've always had this problem and only just noticed it. Recently I decided to try sleeping on the other side of my head to see if there is any difference in the way i think hehe. After a while, I noticed it's much nicer to sleep on my normal side because of this problem :(.

I did go to the doctor a few months ago have a lump on my ribs checked out, turns out that was nothing though. They did find i have a very high blood pressure (160or180/100), although it was assumed to be anxiety as I'm a fit 21yo and i was feeling rather jittery which is an often occurrence :P.

Other useless info:
I have or had glue ear
I had my adenoids out
I had ear drops when i was little
I had grommets when i was little
I've always lived less than a few meters above sea level.

MY ADVICE TO YOU IS THAT YOU BLOCK YOUR NOSTRILS WITH YOUR FINGERS,AND TRY AND BLOW YOUR NOSE AT THE SAME TIME,YOU MIGHT HEAR A CRACKLING SOUND AFTERWARDS,THIS MAY INDICATE SOME RELIEF.YOU CAN DO THIS REPEATEDLY.AT LEAST A LITTLE RELIEF IS BETTER THAN NONE.HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU.GOOD LUCK.......[BANKIE)

hi guys,

i have the rushing sound in the rt ear, and i also work as an audiologist. it is a common problem and for those people whose doctor is not to concerned it is for that very reason. It is rare for the sound you hear to be a tumour/cancer but your GP should refer you onto Ear Nose and Throat(ENT) especially if it one sided. they will send you for tests eg MRis etc and they will perform a hearing test. In majority of cases it is just tinnitus, which is noises in your ear/s that noone knows how to cure. if it is a major problem then they may refer you to a tinnitus management clinic where they will teach you ways to help cope with the sound (there is no cure). in most cases when you are stressed it does tend to get louder and you tend to hear it more.

in other cases it can be an infection deep in the middle and to be quite frank there really are no medications to clear it. if it is an infection in the inner ear then they can give you drops (antibiotics) to clear it. if it is bothersome tinnitus then go to the GP and inform them that it is affecting your quality of life then they should refer you on and someone can look into it further. Doctors will look into all the options before they diagnose it as tinnitus ie tumours etc.

wax can also cause this especially if it is sitting on the eardrum as then the sound is amplified, go to your GP and get them to take a look in your ear, for those that are really concerned ask to be referred because some GPs cannot tell the difference between a blocked ear canal and a clear one.

if you are really concerned talk to the GP if it is tinnitus then you will have to learn to live with it, that can include changing your diet or your lifestyle especially if it is stressful.

the final thing that can cause tinnitus is a hearing loss, even mild hearing losses that cannot be aided can cause tinnitus it is just your brains way of compensating for what it used to be able to hear.

i hope this helps.

good look guys. Go to the GP if you are concerned and remember the more you stress about it, the greater the likelihood it is going to get louder.

Hi everyone. I , too, can hear my heartbeat in both of my ears. I can also hear my neck move when I turn my head. In fact, I can hear all kinds of "strange" things that other people can't. I've read other people's posts about having dizziness and super-sensitive hearing. I have all of that. I have normal (well, low) blood pressure - it's typically around 90/50. My heart and veins are just fine, and I don't have any tumors. One ENT thought I had patulous Eustachian tubes. I didn't agree with that diagnosis, but perhaps that is what some of you are afflicted with. I have since been diagnosed with Ménière's Disease - which makes much more sense with my symptoms. I have been limited with some of my treatments because of my low blood pressure, but there are several treatments that have shown promise. Perhaps some of you should check in to that possibility. I hope maybe this information helps someone. Good luck to all of you!

The heartbeat your hearing is called Carotid Bruit. Its an indication of fatty build up (atherosclerosis), and cuses an increase in Strokes. You need to tell your doctor.

I know this thread was posted a couple of years ago but I've just read something that may help.
I have had this problem for a couple of months now, elsewhere on this forum someone has suggested to get your iron levels checked, they went to give blood and the doctor said that their iron levels were too low, after they got a blood transfusion the sound has gone away...
also for temporary relief I find that if I massage from the where my neck joins my shoulders and push up to just above my ears it takes the sound away temporarily, or it helps a lot for me,
good luck and don't let it ruin your life!

Guest wrote:

It's rather worrying what some of the causes of this can be. I'm 16, and so it's very worrying that I might have a tumor or something... I get the wooshing in my left ear at random times, and have had for the past month. Pressing my neck on the same side temporarily stops it. I've always has this while yawning, but at a constant rather than a heartbeat.

I am so relieved reading these posts and its like reading about my symptoms. I have this constant whoosing in my right ear and have had since last summer. Ive seen my ear doctor and he sent me to have this brain MRI and it came out perfect. My blood pressure is perfect, Im on no drugs and no infections.
So, the thought it might be stress related, although Im not under stress now, but I was some months ago, this just seemes to get worse and is worst in the mornings and when I go to sleep.
What to do people ????