Hello! I am signed for colonoscopy next week and my doctor told me to have my bowel cleaned the day before the exam, because I need to be stool free during this examination. The doc suspects I may have polyps. Anyway, he told me to get Fleet phosphate laxative. I was wondering how long it takes after I had drank the laxative for my bowels to start working. Thank you

First of all I would like to advise you to drink a lot of liquid while taking this laxative. Make sure you take one to two gallons that day. You may eat normally in the morning but it would be best if you didn’t eat any solid food in the after noon. You should not eat any food or drink anything that has red or purple color in them. Take one dose at 2pm and another one at 8pm. Have clear liquid near you to “wash away” the laxative taste. Stay at home that evening and near the bathroom. The laxative may start working after 30-60 min but can take as long as 6 hours. Don’t panic if you start feeling nauseous or experience bloating. These are normal effects.

I need to know safest, most effective product for colonoscopy prep. 5yrs ago The Dr. reccomended (& I took ) GOLYTELY. The new dr. regularly reccomends FLEET.
Thanks

I'm trying to find out which is safest most effective form of prep for colonoscopy. I tried to submit above as ?message,but had to register, now it's asking for a reply and that's what I NEED!!

There are 3 preparation substances. In order of preference, top being the most easily tolerated:

Pico-Salax DIN 02254794 Barcode 7 79170 16590 0 $18.49 x 1

This is most preferred because it tastes like Tang. Has 2 packets inside.

Fleet - Phospho-Soda DIN 02206218 Barcode 0 67055 04194 5 $4.49 x 2

This prep is extremely salty, like pouring concentrated salt on your tongue.

Go Lytely - I haven't taken this one, but I understand you have to drink a gallon of this stuff. Love the name though...someone having fun at our expense.

Hi there. I've got my colonoscopy tomorrow and I'm currently going through the 'evacuating bowel' process. I took that horrid Fleet at 7.30 this morning and it had worked within the hour. I seem to have been fine over the last hour or so. However, I was sick with Fleet too, lets just say I can multi task in ways I never knew before! I'm not due to take my other dose until tonight so watch this space! Plus Fleet is like drinking salt water, I mixed it with a bit of cordial which helped a little bit. Honestly it isn't as bad as I expected it to be, I mean no one likes spending hours on the loo. Hope this helps!