I am new here also.I have had gerd for years and have been on Nexium for about 15 years.I am a 62 year old female with a stomach that makes me look 9 months pregnant also.An ultra sound showed I had excessive gas(YA THINK) doctor told me to take Gasex.didn't work.I also have Emphasema and on 3 inhalers.It keeps my lungs stable also attended a C.O.P.D. course to show me how to breath when I get short of breath so I don't panic! I take Potassium and Magnesium because I have chronic diaphea which causes my body to expel this needed nutriances.I am on B12 and Vitamin D to help give me energy...and it works, not as tired.The bloating of my abdomen gets worse when I eat eggs,raw vegetables,apples,these food give me gas.I keep a diary of foods that do that and stay away from themI was tested for food allergies and only one was found."Mushrooms" my favourite or I should say use to be.I am still working on the large belly,when I find out what to do to stop it I will post.Hang ten friends ,we are all in this together!!!! Mishie from Canada

I have the same things going on.One thing helps to some degree but it is not the answer.Kava Kava eases the stomach and takes the hard feeling out of it and also clears the brain it seems.But i'am wondering if we need digestive enzimes because it feels as if the food just sits there.I'am going to check out the health food store for answers.If I get something that works i will let you know.This is not fun I know.

I have the same problem now for years, diagnosed with GERD. It causes breathing problems, and the distention. I also had a hiatal hernia, I don't know if I still do since I had nissan funoplication which is surgery for gerd. The bloating is the big issue for me, won't go away. As for your GERD prilosec prescription or nexium will help, and when you take the meds it will probably help with your breathing problems too. In my case I seem to hyperventilate because of the bloating. Don't lie down after a meal and def see a gastroenterologist.

i made th mistake of having nissan fundoplication it is surgery for GERD, they take ur esophogus and wrap it around the stomach. It is supposed to stop acid reflux. Well after the surgery, my natural ability to vomit is gone, so this may help in your case. As for me I think it really didn't help with the bloating, and what if i need to vomit one day this is scary. These doctors don't know anything or else they would've been able to help with the bloating problem.

As for the drug propulsid, I used to take it till i found out it was dangerous. I have problems emptying my stomach too, so I was suprised when my test for gastroparesis came out normal. Anyways I believe this stomach problem caused me to have diabetes 2, the good news is that metformin, will make me run to the bathroom, stomach distention is still there though. Also nexium and prilosec will make you go to the bathroom.

Hi, I too am having similar feelings to most of you on this discussion, my stomach feels and gets bloated, seems to expand but the worst is the breathing problem when this happens, I cannot even sleep at nights and basically we become guinea pigs for many doctors, try this and then that and then another, but this is not the solution and I quite cannot understand why this has happened, but I do know that I used to do a lot of sit ups to rid myself of stomach and one day, all of a sudden I saw a bulge when doing a sit up, this scared me a bit and I went to see my doctor, she suggested I see a specialist although sje claimed from the beginning it was a hernia of some kind, the specialist hardly saw it and a couple of tests were done, finally he claimed it was nothing, but it became worse and now my stomach bloats up and I have lots of trouble breathing, as if the stomach is full of air pushing my lungs up.
The best I have taken for stomach gasses has always been charcoal and I truly recommend it to anyone to buy themselves charcoal and try, that is charcoal purchased at a herbalist, for me the tablets worked way better than the capsules, but here in Spain they seem to be unavailable.
Now things are even worse and not even the charcoal caps help me anymore, am busy with another specialist and let´s see what he comes up with but I have read an article where they explain that specially people who got very fat and lost weight or pregnant women, the stomach lining may rip and cause a type of a hernia, if this can be corrected or not I have no idea, but believe me that the charcoal does help lots for the winds and I have tried many things, amongst them aniseed tabs, ginger tabs and medication from my doctor, which was really the worst help and the most expensive.
The worst is that at times my stomach creates so much acidity that I get gout attacks, am now taking 18 tabs a day but this cannot go on like this, I am 54 years old and have HBP and diabetes 2, which is now apparently finally being operated on by a Spanish doctor in La Coruña, apparently they separate stomach from gallbladder and this makes the food adjust ensulin levels or something like that anyway, if you want to know more about this procedure, try looking in medical journals under the city name of La Coruña in the north of Spain, it came on the news here a few days ago, so if that also can help someone I am pleased to have been able to help someone, I do understand and know how very uncomfortable all this is and specially going from one doctor to another and no one seems to find a solution, so if any of you out there do find a better solution to the problem of the bloating and breathlessness please do put something in here, I am sure that we can all help in some or pother way to find a solution.

Hi. I am finding it amazing I found someone who KNOWS MY PLIGHT. First, HUG, HUG, HUG, HUG....
I have the SAME SYMPTOMS and my poor newlywed husband and I have been trying to get me well with no good results yet. Every day I suffer since this has started... I was an athlete/ kickboxer/weightlifter/ 8 mile runner after having mild yo-yo years of up down weight, going from size 6-8ish usually from ages 26-34 to size 16/ 200 pounds when a friend died and I had been affected by it, back down through healthy eating (vegetarian and exercise )to a size 2/ 140 pounds (i became very muscluar even eating like a horse because i became a very focused lifter/cardio afficianado, a sit-up doer , etc.) and in July of 2011, one day my lower abdomen started HURTING. Doubling over in pain, but I was under threat at school of everyone being laid off, so of course stupid me I did not go to the doctor right away. Kept working and would just step out when it got really bad ...(was a special education teacher, with 3 teaching assistants, and same students for 3 years, so they understood) Im a tough cookie and kept trying to pretend it would get better.lol. (I eventually got to the dr early on once, but the dr wouldnt see me becasue I had been 8 minutes late) After that I switched drs.
Anyway, fast forward... i noticed a bulge when id lay down, I then started getting hot in lower abdomen area, like burning, id notice at night when Id lay down, like fever hot, and noticed that bulge on the right hand side, then one day in septemberish my stomach felt like it broke, and after eating one too many yogurts, it was LIKE I WAS 9 MONTHS PREGNANT. I went overnight from a 6 pack, all muscle abs, olympic like shape, no fat, to looking 9 months pregnant in my abdomen. fast forward, doctors took ultrasound, colonoscopy, ct scan, all show no "exceptional" results. Gall bladder from primary care dr checking it didnt SEEM to be the problem. NOw, of course, since my quality of life has gone way down, ( wishing all the while i was my USUAL SELF while im newly married to this WONDERFUL, gorgeous hunk of a man, unfortunataly for both of us) now drs 1 year later just pinch my fat belly and say you are just fat. What they dont understand is, even with NO FAT ON ME a year ago, i was this swollen and bloated, its just made me over time not even be able to breathe enough to be able to workout anymore. Im now a size 14/171 pounds...It's completely made me a blah lump of a human being. The breathing problems started in March of 2012. My life has been VERY CHALLENGING ever since. I am a born again christian, and my heart has been changed since i decided to become saved, so i am grateful for every day of my life, but, I have also felt like, "today am I gonna get through the day, or die?" I have SO much more to share, but i always feel like if i get too much into my own personal findings and details, we wont find whats causing this. Because as you know, I am constantly trying to figure out how to FIX THIS.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

my name is kimberley and if you want to talk, and figure this thing out together, let me know. I of course cant talk to guys, only women out of respect to my hubby, but if a guy out there thinks you have the solution, by all means let me know through a family member who is a woman. Thank you sincerely, and I am so sorry you too are going through this.

God be with you all, while you are pushing forward with this.

To all of the people suffering, mabye this can help you.  My wife has gastroparesis and  no longer has any symptoms.  In Canada there is a medicine called Motillium used for mothers to induce lactaction but as a side effect makes your stomach work better. She has NO side effects from this medicine and has been on it 4 years.

I don't know if you have to come to Canada to get it but it might be worth it if you are suffering.  Here's the info:

Gastrointestinal problems

There is some evidence that domperidone has antiemetic activity.[2] Domperidone is used, together with metoclopramide, cyclizine, and 5HT3 receptor antagonists (such as granisetron) in the treatment of nausea and vomiting.

Domperidone is a first choice antiemetic in some countries.[citation needed] However, it is not approved for prescription in the US. Although it has never been officially approved for use in the United States, domperidone is sometimes purchased from pharmacies in other countries for this purpose. It may be obtained through some compounding pharmacies in the US with a prescription from your doctor.

It can be used in patients with Parkinson's disease[3] because, unlike metoclopramide,[4] domperidone does not cross the blood–brain barrier.

Domperidone has also been found effective in the treatment of gastroparesis,[5] a stomach motility condition, and for paediatric gastroesophageal reflux (infant vomiting).

In Canada, the drug is indicated "for the symptomatic management of upper gastrointestinal motility disorders associated with chronic and subacute gastritis and diabetic gastroparesis." The drug may also be used "to prevent gastrointestinal symptoms associated with the use of dopamine agonist antiparkinsonian agents". [6]

I met someone recently who told me she finally was diagnoised with glutin intolerance. She would blow up like she was 9 months pregnant and would be in a lot of pain. When she went on the glutin diet all was well but there is glutin in everything, I'm sure she will lose weight. I hope this helps you, she told me she was miserable for 2 yrs before the diagnosis. Good luck to you. Francine

i understand what you are going thru. Although i did not have that drastic of weight changes i have gained over the years and am at my heaviest even since pregnancies.
i can be found on places like fb under my name janet chavis or ritter if you would ever like to compare notes and i can tell you my story of what I have been thru from the beginning of pain to the end finally being diagnosed after many years of misdiagnosis and what has helped and what hasn't both physically and emotionally. gastroparesis is not an easy disease by no means both physically and healthy wise. there is not alot of information out there for a diet that will help with it either.

Hi I was taking Metformin too, but if you look, one of the side effects is bloatedness, I have changed to another tab and am trying it now to see if this will help with bloatedness, I just mention this because I too have diabetes 2 and what has helped me a lot with it is to put cinnamon in my cereals, in my coffee or tea, in my milk and for bloatedness it helps me to have one tea spoon of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon in half a cup of cooled off boiled water, I drink it everyday before lunch and it has helped me in two ways, gasses caused by lunch and also brings down my sugar levels in my blood, if you try it please let others also know what effects it has on you so that we can all help each other.

Just hoping to help some of you all. Don't know if this will work for everyone but I have gastroparesis. I started with symptoms  6 years ago and it wasn't until just this year that I was diagnosed. I have been in and out of the emergency room told it was heartburn, anxiety, gerd, a virus. You name it, they told me I had it. Same horrible symptoms as everyone else. The breathing problem is what always sent me to the hospital. Went to see a gastro, they put me on a proton pump inhibitor. Didn't help at all for me. They put me on anti depressents, even though I am not depressed. Quality of life had diminished but I have tried my best to keep it together for my kids. I am happy and fine at times until I try to eat then the rest of the day was downhill from there. Anyways, after trying everything they dished out at me, I figured I would read up and see what I could do for myself because obviously, the doctors couldn't. I decided to take vitamins and HCL. Although, my symptoms have not completely gone away and I do ocassionally feel sick, I would say I am about 75 % better. I take 2 HCL pills before eating a meal. Sometimes I take 3 depending on how much protein I will be eating. I chew my food thoroughly and drink water. I sometimes get the breathing problem but only last about 10-15 minutes where in comparison after a meal, I used to have problems breathing for 3-5 hours. It was torture. At times, I would skip eating altogether. I am also taking magnesium supplements, vitamin D, calcium, and omega 3 along with a multivitamin. I have been allergic to casein for years so I never have anything with milk in it so I have to take calcium for that reason. My lab test showed a slight deficiency in vitamin D, so I take supplements for that. I take omega 3 because I have ADHD and don't want to mess around with stimulants at this time and the magnesium I take because I know my diet doesn't give me enough of it. Other than that, I stopped taking the antidepressants and the proton pump inhibitors and I now feel 75% better. I did change my diet a little and try not to overeat. I eat more veggies but cooked. I dont eat fried foods. 

I have never been on this site before, but googled "severe gas pressure" and came to this site. I have recently been diagnosed with Gastritis (inflmation of the stomach). I have had on going stomach issues for 2.5 yrs and finally had an edoscopy that revealed it. My symptoms were: extreme gas chest and back pains 3 -4 hours after eating.  My gastro doctor put me on prilosec and and sucralfate, which lower the acid and coat your stomach.

I took these for a week and my gas pains that were normally sharp and painful, turned into extremem pressure - so much pressure that i couldnt breathe. It felt like I was suffocating.It lasted for hours. I almost went to ER 4 times. I burped (just air) not big burps, just little air burps for hours until i could breathe again. This isn't normal. I get this feeling everytime I eat. I am wondeirng if the prilosec (acid supressor) is what is causing this extreme pressure to build up.

I read that too little acid in the stomach can cause this pressure/bloating feeling. I am going to go off the meds and see what happens. Did you ever find out what caused your symtoms, and if you have found relief?

i have same prob;e its truly awful

have u sougted it out yet any advice to help me am desprate