Today, early in the morning, in my garden I found a little puppy. It is a girl and she was abandoned, she has her necklace as well. Somebody left her in my garden, and it was raining. I was really scared, she is adorable. I gave her to eat, I let her in my house, and now she is playing with me. She is clean, but I’ve notice that her teeth are really dirty and black – I don’t know how to explain. I don’t know, do I need to go to the vet to get her teeth cleaned? Can I do this without vet? 

You can go to the vet and have your dog’s teeth cleaned, but that’s not really necessary. Many dog owners don’t do that and their dogs are just fine. Instead they are cleaning their teeth by themselves at home.

I assume there is no need for me to explain the process. Just make sure not to use toothpaste for humans because it contains fluoride which is poisonous for dogs. Buy toothpaste for dogs.

If there is anything unusual in your dog’s mouth or you notice lots of calculus on his teeth, then the best you could do is to take him to the vet.

No, you don’t need to go to the vet to clean your dog’s teeth. It is not hard to clean your dog’s teeth by yourself. But, there are certain situations when you need to visit the vet. Every week, you should look into your dog’s mouth, it should be a routine control. If you notice bad breath or red swollen gums, this is the case when you should visit the vet. But, cleaning the teeth is really easy. Because you found this dog, you need to check his mouth very careful, to see are there some unwanted signs.

Good luck!

Hello! My dog doesn’t have problems with his teeth. We clean them regularly at home. And of course he has his own toothpaste, you can find it at most good pet stores. 

At first he didn’t like the cleaning, but now he is already used to it. I started cleaning them when he was only a puppy. 

Another way to get rid of that calculus is to give him a chew bone and chew toys from time to time. Of course that’s not enough, but if you combine it with regular cleaning you won’t have the need to go to the vet.

Hello. 

As I can see, you are new in all this "dog owner" thing. That's why I recommend you to take her to the vet and see how to proper clean her teeth. Of course, it is not mandatory, but I think you both will benefit from that trip.

After that first visit, you are ready to clean her teeth by yourself. Buy proper toothbrush and toothpaste and enjoy in time you will spend together. As Mia said, you can buy her chew toy to strengthen her teeth and make them more resistant to oral problems. 

Maybe she will be a little nervous in the beginning, but that will be only temporary, so don't worry.

I think that many dog owners are not at all aware of the problems that dogs’ teeth can cause.
Just like us, dogs can suffer from serious health issues because of their teeth. Without proper care the dog’s teeth problems may damage his internal organs.
This is why I think one must take his or her dog to a veterinarian to have his teeth cleaned. I am not saying that you need to do that regularly. You can clean the dog’s teeth at home, but also, it wouldn’t be bad to have the calculus removed by the veterinarian from time to time.

If you have the dog as a pet for the first time, than you should take him to the vet, and let him help you choose the right toothpaste and the right tooth brush.  Sometimes we don’t know what health problem teeth can cause, if we don’t clean it regularly. After your vet help you choose the right one, clean your dog’s teeth all the time, every day, like you do for yourself. That is the best prevention ever. I have to say that I do take my dog to the vet occasionally to clean his teeth. This is professional cleaning and you can do it only at a vet clinic. It is typical procedure – drop your pet of at the vet early in the morning and pick him up after a few hours. Some vets will put your dog under anesthesia, and don’t worry, that is allowed as well. The main reason is because this will remove all those bacteria that were living on your dog teeth for years.