It is commonly recommended that if we are on thyroid supplements, we need to stay away from grapefruits. Sorry, but your nurse gave you some bad advice. Look elsewhere.

I know about this disease!!!! Hashimoto has devasted my life, I am 48... But there is hope. I found a Dr. that diagnose me. FINALLY!  He is a holistic christian Dr.  he gave me 2 herbal and 3 homeopathic meds that helped me loose weight and make me feel great. (ALL MY PAINS are going away).  Ive lost 10 lbs in a month.  ... the  supplements are: REGENRX Thyroid R-6, UTerogen R-19 Progesterone K-20, Opticrine K-3, and Estrovite K-5,   also, complete gluten free, dairy free diet. Not too much rice or corn too. I did not exercise except light walking. Three complete BALANCED MEALS, protein, carbs and oils....Have lots of faith and trust that God will see you thru this. My mind is sharper that ever, I am not fatigued and I feel wonderfull. 

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

You may want to check how certain foods (grapefruit and grapefruit juice being in the list) affect your meds.

chia seeds is the only thing i found to help with my thyroid hatchimoto s disease hcg doesnt work hydoxy cut doesnt work this is the only thing i ve found and my nurologist was the one who suggested it

I don't think it's the medication that causes the weight gain, but rather the thyroid issue itself, as your thyroid controls your metabolism. I am not a doctor and could certainly be wrong, but that is my understanding of the issue. I have Hashimoto's, and was diagnosed in my 20's. I have all the standard symptoms but until recently I had weight loss, not gain, which was definitely different than the majority of people with Hashimoto's. Now that I am 48, I am gaining more and more weight and am the heaviest I've ever been. I have changed my eating habits quite a bit, but no weigh loss. I'm sure if this was as prevalent an issue with men as with women, they'd have already found a cure! lol....

I found out about my hashimotos in Jan. I live in LA county, and the two doctors I have seen (one GP and the other is an Endocrinologist) were awesome. The GP found it, I have been  battling with mood swings and fatigue, weight gain, you name it he did my blood work and found the hashimotos.

My endocrinologist Rx armour, 60 mg. Even though my T3 and T4 were in the "normal" range. Not only do I feel like myself, but i am gradually (this means very slowly) losing the 50 lbs I have put on the last year. I go in every month and have everything checked, he tweaks it here and there (we tried adding synthroid and I didnt lose a pound!) i would suggust asking for a higher dose. seriously, I would buy stock in my endocrinologist. Hes awesome.

The medication is not causing the weight gain. It actually helps some people lose the weight. The weight gain is a symptom of the disease for many with Hashimotos

Linny. I'm a 51 year old guy and just got diagnosed as well. Like you I'm a gym rat (tri's, marathons etc) and this is scaring the HELL out of me.... How has the 8 months gone? Have you gained? PLEASE tell me it hasnt caused weight gain, because that will freak me out.

You need to correct the autoimmune disorder, hashimotos, before your thyroid starts generating the hormones to help you lose weight. Thyroid hormones do not work because it is not a thyroid issue. Your body is attacking your thyroid with antibodies.

You need to find a doctor who can correct your autoimmune disease before your thyroid begins to work normal again.
I am following a strict diet, I lose weight but only to have it return. I am frustrated too. I just have to have faith this will work itself out and I can get healthy again.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

See if this helps you understand your condition better.

I am interested in contacting your doctor. Would you provide his name and contact information?

Thanks!

Yes, you can have hashimoto's without full blown hypothyroidism.  The thyroid is being attacked and blocking your thyroid hormone production.  It definitely is causing your weight problems.  I am going through the same thing now, and getting the proper help to rectify the situation.  It takes awhile, but it works.

Find a doctor who specializes in thyroid disorders, and he should know how to treat you. 

Thanks for your help!

I finally found one after 20 years who will actually treat, despite having an auto accident from 20 years hence that triggered it.  She trained in the U.K., and is brilliant. Every conventional, U.S. doc still refuses to recognize it because they contend my thyroid numbers are in the "normal range," despite very high thyroid antibodies and large nodule (goiters) in my neck.

Has anything else helped you aside from thyroid supplementation?  I am using desiccated thyroid at this point as I was allergic and/or intolerant of Tyrosint.

Take care,

Miserable46

Hi Amy, are you in Los Angeles? I am also, and I am looking for a really good endo doc. I am not loving mine at the moment. If you don't mind I would love to know who you are seeing?

Thanks a million!! Jenn

It is not the medicine that makes you gsin weight it is the Hashimotos disease.

How much of each supplement do you take?