Riddle me this Riddler-Why is it that a guy like myself, who lives a healthy life style of excercise, healthy diet, non smoker, decent at managing stress has his first cold of the season? (and it won't be the last if I have a year like I did last year)

And yet, the guy on the the other side of the office who's idea of activity includes parking as close to the door as possible to minimize any kind of exercise, eats McDonalds and other garbage habitually and smokes like a chimney NEVER gets sick.

Are the benefits of healthy living over rated? It's just not fair.

He'll die 15 years before you. But you'll be sick at his funeral.

As long as you are happy living it, by that I mean happy doing your exerices/running/biking etc, sacrificing junk food the other person may eat, I dont see a problem.... Its a feel good thing and is gonna help you in the long run... :D

:LOL:
I've been fighting off something for a week now. :| But I don't get sick near as often as I used to.

My philosophy is that it is because you are out doing more things than the fatso down the hall. You're putting yourself at a higher risk by doing more things. Your body might also be tired and defenseless. A common occurence after running a marahton is getting sick....

With that said, I do tons and go out tons and certainly don't get enough sleep, but I NEVER get the office bugs. :shrug: So clearly my philosophy is wrong. :|

:LOL: That's great. Did you just make that up? Fits perfectly.

Surprisingly enough, I did.

You're right. I'm just feelin sorry for myself. :( I can watch them suffer when they have to walk all the way across the parking lot because they couldn't get that spot right outside the door.

I'm envious of your constitution. If I have a busy week of being out late, getting less sleep, etc.. I always get sick.

It's always a contect to see who will get teh bug in the office first. And who will never get it. I always win the never get it race, and my boss always gets it first! Go figure that the person I have the most interation with is always sick and I never am. I don't understand that stuff so I don't even try, but I enjoy it.
Do you take vitamins at all? Myabe that will help boost your immune system.

Smoking or not, I always get sick throughout the year. The kids bring home every germ imaginable. I don't however get the flu since I am good about getting my flu shot every year.

I don't think healthy living is a waste of time though (and I will be doing this more and more as I intend on quitting smoking soon). And I agree on the vites. A good multi would be good for you.

I must be very lucky as I rarely get sick. Now that I have no kids in school to bring them home I hardly ever get a cold. I did have the family heart attack at 56 years, same exact age as my father. All his sisters and fore fathers had heart problems. My bypass(es) was done 20 years ago and just tested this year. Everything's working fine. My mother was absolutely convinced that you catch cold from sleeping/sitting next to an open window or getting your feet wet. I never believed her and I refused to wear rubbers to school. Unless someone is standing outside the window spraying cold viruses in I don't think that theory holds up either. But what do I know, she lived to 102? I have to make it another 30 years to beat her. I might if I stay away from those open windows.

I think the vitamins are a good idea. A few years back I was taking a multi vitamin and noticed a difference ( avoided the cold for a few months at least) but then it stopped so I thought, no point in taking it.

I think I have to get back at it. Obviously my system lacks something to have such a crappy immune system.

I agree Brie-having young children in school almost gaurantees getting sick. Especially when their immune systems haven't been built up yet.

Amazingly I hardly ever get sick but kids do all the time.

Because you touched the elevator button someone pushed with the finger they'd just wiped their nose with and Mr. McFatSlob didn't.