Every now and then I get severely itchy feet, legs and sometimes arms. It happens almost exclusively at night, mostly when I'm in bed. There is no rash or any other marks. Running my feet etc under a cold shower makes the itch go away but sometimes I need to do this more than once. Last night, for example, it was three times. The relief is wonderful. This has been happening off and on for a couple of years. So far, I have not sought medical help because it doesn't happen regularly but when it does it drives me crazy. I had colon cancer in 2001 but officially I am completely cured. I am 58 and keep myself in decent shape by going to the gym three times a week and walking each day. My blood pressure is normal. I am not on medication. I thought it might be an allergy, perhaps to some kind of food or drink, but I can't figure out what it might be. It's hard to keep track of what you've eaten or drank when the itch is only sporadic.

What are your sheets/bedding/pillows made of?

It could be an allergy to a fiber/fabric.

This happens to me too!

I'm a 28 year old female in good health and reasonably fit. The itchy-feet-at-night used to be occasional and therefore tolerable but it's got particularly bad in the last 12 months. What used to be a one off here and there since the age of about 15 is now almost a nightly occurrence and it's driving me barmy.

For years doctors have been just telling me to keep my feet dry and infection free but the thing is that the itch is mostly at my heels and soles and no where near my toes like fungal infections. Anti-fungal treatments have no effect. Also, there are zero signs of red marks, rashes or blisters. The last doc I saw said that my feet were a picture of health.

Just wondering if you have ever suffered from something called 'pompholyx' or 'dishidrotic eczema' before? (http://www.pompholyx.co.uk/). I used to get it on my hands in Australia but now that I live in the UK I only get very mild cases. They're just a few tiny blisters on my fingers. I'd be interested to find out if you ever suffer from this because I found a solitary page on the internet which mentioned that some people who have pompholyx also suffer our itchy foot problem and both can be treated with antihistamines. There is a theory that symptoms get worse in times of stress/grief (and I've certainly been very busy with work in the last 12 months).
My doc has put me on a 1 month trial of antihistamines which I take just before bed and they seem to make the itchy slightly less. I'm going to get some antihistamine cream today to see if that provides immediate relief.

Hope to hear from you as it's good to hear from someone else with the problem!
Kristen.

Need to wash you feet with soap. It is bacteria

Check your thyroid levels....it affects your liver functions which sometimes makes you extremely itchy.

antihistamines definitely help! it's a problem with the immune system. i have lyme disease and the itchy feet syndrome started a couple weeks ago when i got on really strong antibiotics.
my doctor has no clue what it is. most doctors, in my opinion are useless anyway.
other possible causes could be a yeast infection, hookworm or the human papilloma virus.
but in the end, it all amounts to having an infection.
i take propolis, cat's claw, probiotics, honey and other nutritional supplements to boost my immune system.
i also try to get some exercise everyday.
i also take a good shower at night, take a benadryl and cover my feet in anti-itch cream.
also make sure you have a good diet (meaning no sugar, nothing made with white flour, no alcohol) and get tested for food allergies.
so many people are allergic to wheat, dairy and corn and don't know it.
hope this helps. :-D

I agree fully that antihistamines work very well. Plus if you're taking a sudafed, it helps you fall asleep as well, so that's always good for your rest.

hey me and my little brother have been getting the same problems, he is 10 and am 13 we're both quite healthy not had any cancer or any medical problems. He tells me it happens to him during the afternoon and it happens to me every night and the only good solution i have came up with instead of scratching it you can massage it with any type of cream or just plain hands. It works a treat,but is really annoying because it keeps me from getting to sleep :-(

my feet only itch once in awhile ,but i would rather have a tooth ache.its drives me nuts,hits like an electric shock.i have very heavy calus as i am a mechanic and stand on cocrete every day for the last 20yrs .im over weight,but i always have been.and only in the lastyear or two this happens.my feet dont smell or i dont have any fungis thing going on.i have filed them with a calus file until they bleed.it drives me .up at night .i here you.i find laying in our jet tub helps ,letting the jetsrun on my feet.who knows?

I've had itchy feet at night for years, and it kept me from sleeping. No lotions worked. No rash, just itching. My podiatrist prescribed me a lotion called Umecta (brand name), and my feet don't itch if I use it before bed. Maybe some of you should look into it. It's the only thing that helped me.

I have the same. 31, normal liver and thyroid function. Corticosteriods do not help. No redness. No allergies. No correlation with diet I can see. Always at night. Not neurodermatitis, nor particularly correlated with stress. My only theory is it may be hormonal because it does seem cyclical and because pregnant women complain of itchy extremities and their hormones are quote active. I've been collecting internet anecdotes about this for awhile, so I know I'm not alone, but I think it's not addressed in the medical literature.

I have that problem every once in a while, I heard it has something to do with your liver and bile production. I'm sure the more intense the itch, the worse the problem is.

Will i do have the same problem and its driving me crazy some time! i went on line checking and that what i came to find:

- it could be a broplem with Bile delivering system and if the Bile reache the blood stream it could cause the itchness. in that case you need to consult a doctor.
-it could be a problem with the blood flow to last parts of the feet and in this case you need to warm your feet up maybe by washing them with warm water for few minutes.
-it could be something called: morgellons! you can find more about it here: www.morgellons-research.org . apparently this is more common than what most people think; they found traces of it even in very healthy people!
- it could be simply because of dry skin! in this case you need to use moisturizer.
- this is common with pregnant women.
- it could be a sign of diabetes.
- it could be because of fungus or allergy, those usually are easy to detect.

the solution's are:

- consult a doctor.
- wash you feet with warm water before bed maybe with some massage.
- somebody suggested washing your feet with Epsom salt! they said it helps!
- some suggested a medicine called Benadryl that comes in tablet form. one before sleeping should help they said. ( its highly recommended to ask a doctor before tacking any medicine).

i am not a doctor and those are just my personal on line searching summery.

regards,

I previously replied to this. I found a possible solution that worked for me after seeking out several specialists. 

In my case it was a problem absorbing vitamin B6 and possibly B12. Most doctors don't have experience with this particular deficiency because it's very rare-the reason being that the body usually stores enough B6 for several months, so if you don't take in enough in a particular day or even week, your body will use its stockpile. The itchy hand/feet problem is a symptom of B6 deficiency.

The problem was I took an older asthma medication, Theophylline, as a child and teenager. Apparently, it causes permanent damage to the body's ability to absorb B6 (known since the 70's with additional research in the early 90's, which is why it's not often used anymore). It probably has other long-term health effects that are not well researched. Anyway, I started taking massive doses of B6 and B12, and the problem went away within two days and hasn't come back. 

i found that this is typically from showering too often i have showered 4 times daily for a long time and also using too hot of water which affected not only my skin but the NERVES...