I’m fifty years old and I’ve realized that my lifestyle has become too sedentary. That’s why I’ve decided to take up cycling in order to improve my overall health. I like it for the time being and the only thing that I need to improve is confidence on downhills. How to manage that and are there exercises for this? I’m still pretty insecure and I’m afraid that I’ll lose control over my bike while cycling downhills.

It’s natural that you’re afraid since you’re fifty and you’ve only recently began an activity which is that dynamic as cycling. But it all takes time and if you keep on exercising, all your fears and uncertainties will disappear. Cycling is excellent for overall health, both physical and psychological. As for downhill confidence, you’ll gradually gain it. If your bike is good and has all the necessary equipment you shouldn’t worry. Just keep it well adjusted and it would be great if someone could tune-up your brakes properly so that they’re not too rigid or too loose. You should also regularly bring your bike to a mechanic for a checkup and you’re safe.