What do I have to know about pedaling? I plan to take up cycling and I want to get acquainted with its techniques. I’ve heard that there are various ways of pedaling and that each can somehow improve performance since they’re used for various types of terrain and similar. Since I’m a total layman I’d like to know something more on this subject.

I don’t think it’s necessary for you to know all that since cycling is only your hobby. Those are the things that kids learn when they take up cycling professionally and when they start and when they plan to establish a racing career. Otherwise I think it’s only trying to turn a leisure activity meant basically for relaxation into something too serious. I remember that I almost quit cycling because I was supposed to learn various techniques of pedaling, and all I wanted was to exercise and stay fit. Putting too much pressure on yourself by insisting on such things can be counterproductive and too complicated. Sp, my suggestion is that you should just keep cycling the way you’re used to.