Hey.:) I finally decided to neuter my cat.

I was in a dilemma whether to neuter her or not. I personally didn’t want to do it since I thought this might be a painful experience for her, but all of my friends told me I need to do it and my vet too… so, I’m doing it.

What I wanted to ask you is how am I supposed to take care of her after I neuter her? I don’t know much about it since I never neutered a cat before. I am interested to know what should I feed her with when I neuter her?

Hey there Oshikuru.

I believe that there no specific foods that you should feed your cat after neutering. It is very important to remember that once your cat has been neutered there is a bigger than usual chance for her to become overweight. Why?

Because she will seek for food all the time. So, you might need to adjust the amount of the food that you are giving to your cat. Proteins are good choice but you should never give too much food to her.

I believe that you should not make any changes in diet program, just amount of the food.

Hey you two.

I am sure that your vet is going to give you feeding instructions for your cat after this procedure. But here are some rules.

If your cat seems a little bit alert you can offer her a quarter of its normal portion of food about 3 to 4 hours when you two are at home. You need to know that it is very important not to force her to eat or drink.

If she can eat, give her another small meal in 3 to 6 hours. Repeat this until the cat has eaten her full portion of food.

If you have a cat that is younger than 16 weeks that you should feed her with small meals.

Hey there.

When your cat is at home it is important that she has a lot of time to rest. That is crucial in the recovery program.

Now, if your cat refuses to eat after returning home, you can put very small amount of corn or even maple syrup on a cotton ball and rub on your cat’s gum. My mom did this when she neutered her cat. It can help.

Also, try to avoid those “special” foods and treats. Junk food you need to avoid as well after the surgery.

You can also expect your cat’s stomach to be upset so keep your cat’s diet as regular as possible. Avoid milk because cat’s can digest it.

Hi there. I don’t know why but I would never neuter my cat. I think that this is not a solution and that is why I am against it :/ I know that maybe I am making a mistake but I just can’t do it since I read all those bad sides of neutering. OK, I believe that there are some positive sides but I just can’t do this. About your question – I was reading a lot about it and I found out that you should not force your cat to eat after this procedure. There is a big change that she is going to feel sick for the couple of days and everything that she eats might cause nausea to her.

Hey Oshikuru,

I'm glad that you decided to neuter your cat, it's for the best.

You need no special food for this. When she comes back home, she is going to be unwilling to do anything for a few days. She might lose her appetite, or she might eat everything you give her because she will be bored.

If she loses her appetite, you're good. Put some food in her bowl and she will eat when she gets hungry.

On the other hand, if she will eat whatever you give her, give her lesser portions of the food you would normally give her. Do this until she starts to behave normally again.

Hey everyone,

I'm not quite sure about this. I had a cat and I didn't change her diet when I neutered her. And everything turned out to be okay.

As far as I know, the main goal is to not let her become obese. Cats become prone to weight gain due to hormonal changes and that increases their appetite and tendency to gain fat rather than muscles. If you let your cat become obese, it can lead to diabetes, liver disorders, constipation, heart problems, joint problems and urinary stones.

There is a special food for cats who have been neutered called "Royal Canine Neutered Cat". You can use this if you like. :)

Hey Oshikuru,

I wouldn't recommend changing her diet at all. A lot of cats react differently after neutering but most of them will have less activity than before. That's why people don't usually change their diets, but they decide to give them less food than before.

You should try to push your cat somehow to walk and run after she gets better because of neutering.

It is well known that cats tend to get obese after neutering and obesity is leading to a big number of diseases, as Ruby already wrote in the post above.

So my advice would be not to change her diet, but to keep your cat physically active and feed her a bit less than before.