Hi, I didn’t get my period, and now I suspect to be pregnant. But, occasionally I have irregular periods. How late should your period be to test for pregnancy?

Hi, if your period is late it doesn’t necessarily mean you are pregnant. Some time a period can be completely missed or there can be some hormone disorder. If they are too stressed, women may also not have period. Stress is the major cause of irregular periods, as it changes normal hormonal signals and it can block ovulation. Even if you do a pregnancy test, it can be false negative. Weight of person, like overweight or underweight or sudden changes in weight may be cause of delayed period. If you are taking any birth control pills or other hormone supplements, it may interfere with your periods.

Hello schade, 

There are some general rules about pregnancy that might help you to take home pregnancy test and get the accurate result. When your periods are irregular, it’s unreliable to rely on waiting for the period to be late, especially because some women still do get some sort of bleeding at the time of the period, even when they are pregnant.

The reliable clue for taking a pregnancy test is to wait at least two weeks since the last unprotected sex. At two weeks’ time, the pregnancy hormone levels in urine are high enough for most pregnancy test to detect them and to give you reliable result. Also, the longer you wait after these two weeks, the more reliable result is.