with all due respect, that is simply not true...
shoes are not like produce, they do not spoil...shoes would have to be stored in extreme temprature conditions to effect the cushioning effects of the eva or poly mid-sole components...
this has been a topic of debate on the runner's world shoe forum from time to time, and the experts over there agree that this is simply a myth...
---
megawill

that is not true...
---
megawill
This is one of those things, I think I've read "shoe guys" go both ways on. And go both way just as often. Some say modern materials don't degrade. Just as many say they do. I guess the most often cited number I've seen is two years before "substantial" degredation kicks in.
The only shoe manufacturer I know that actually prints the month/year of production on the shoe is Adidas. Check the back of the tongue and you can see a MM/YY. It's pretty handy if you come across a surplus store or close out rack only to find the Adidas shoe you're looking at is 3 years old.
I stick with the 2-year rule myself. Don't buy 'em older than that and then when a new pair gets that old, regardless of mileage, they drop outta the running rotation.

Bob Wischnia, former editor of the shoe section at Runner's World believes that this is a fallacy...and i've yet to see any scientific evidence to show that the mid-soles components degrade over time just do to their exposure to air...
i have yet to see any evidence on mid-sole degradation over time that would prevent me from continuing to order my shoes off of clearance...
---
megawill

May be...I'm not an expert, I just play one! I just know what the manufacturers tell us. We track the shoes and send any back for replacement that have been on the shelf for 6 months. I tend to err on the side of caution, and it gives me an excuse for new shoes!

Then again, I was just told yesterday that women should replace their sports bras as often as they would shoes, that they lose their support etc.. (washing, drying, sweat, use etc...) Never heard that one before.

As a side note you know Wish is now a regular on runtex's message boards since his departure from Runners World?

no i didn't know that he was over there, thanks!...I'll have to go over and check it out...he's a good guy...i posted many a question over on the old RW forum and he was always willing to share his insight...don't know the full story but i think he got the screws over at RW...sad to say, he was one of the main reasons why i'd ever pick up that magazine...
i'll hold tight to my position on shoes...but have none to offer on bras... :D
---
megawill

I can swear to the replacment of bras. My cheaper bras, bought within the last year, do become stretched out with repeated wearings and washings. I have two newer ones, Champion and Hanes, that are my mainstay right now.

That is one depressingly expensive fact there....but I believe they wear out faster than at least I replace mine :umno: But they are too expensive!

:1:
I have tried most of the brands and I can't find a brand that really feels good.

Huh, never heard that before either. Of course it wouldn't pertain to me anyhow, nothing to support here. 8O I wanted the :rolleyes: but it's gone! :(

shoes: ~500 miles

sports bras: yes, they do break down over time. Especially the one piecers you pull over your head. Cotton and lycra stretch out over time. I replace mine once a year at a ridiculously high cost. Better than the alternative, however.

I usually switch out between 300-350. I use asics and they seem to work quite well. Trial and error. If I push after that, my legs start to hurt.