Hello.

I have some problems with my Labrador. He is three years old and I don’t know what to do with him anymore. His behavior is abnormal for me, because I have never noticed something like this. He is acting crazy, he is not friendly anymore, and somehow I think that he is in a big pain. To cut long story short, he is often dragging the rear along the ground, he is licking himself, he is biting his tail. Very often, he has diarrhea and I don’t know what to do. Can you tell me are those symptoms of anal glands? What are symptoms of anal glands disease in dogs? 

Your dog definitely has a problem with this anal glands, because all those symptoms that you wrote are symptoms of anal glands disease. I see that you are new at this, so I think that visiting the vet is the best option so far. So, symptoms are scooting, licking, biting, and bed smell, pain when he is sitting or pooping. Good thing is that impacted sacs are easy to treat, because glands can be emptied very easy just with your fingers – if you know what are you doing. But, you should know that your dog can have those impactions again. 

You can easily recognize if the problem is with anal sacs. If he keeps licking or biting under tail area, there’s a good chance that that’s the problem.

You might also see dogs who have problems with anal sacs pulling their bottom to the floor. 

Dogs with this issue can be very nervous and if you touch them from behind, they might even bite you because it can be painful for them. 

My advice for you is- take your dog to the vet, and he will need approximately 5 minutes to examine him and say if the dog has problems with glands.

Although only your vet can confirm the diagnosis, I would say, with over 90% probability, that your dog has some kind of anal gland problem. The good news is that these issues are easily treated and post-operative period usually isn’t too long. Remember, I am talking about common problems such as bacterial infections, ringworm or yeast infection.

Of course, there is always a danger of cancerous masses in perineal area and that’s why everyone here will suggest you to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. He/she will perform all the necessary tests to rule out the possibility of cancer (or to confirm it), such as blood tests, ultrasound and X-ray test. 

According to all those things that I was reading, your dog definitely has some anal glands problems. I agree that vet is the first option, so you should take him as soon as possible. I think that those are definitely the symptoms, and you should take your dog to the vet before it is too late. Yes, because this can become a bigger problem. I don’t want to scare you, but three months ago my neighbor Sergei lost his dog because someone told him that this is normal thing. He trusted him and his dog diet very soon after this.

Well the bad news is- yes, those are the symptoms of anal glands disease and you need to get your dog examined by a vet. The good news is that this type of disease is pretty common among dogs and therefore vets usually have tons of experience with it. This makes it easier for your dog to get the right treatment and get better sooner.Just don’t panic. Take the phone, set an appointment  and everything will be fine. He will probably need 5 minutes to diagnose him.  They’ve seen it like a million times, so they can easily recognize it.