My dog is having some problems. He is about two years old. I adopted him from a dog shelter few months ago. A couple of days ago I’ve noticed that he bites his tail, or the area around it. He seems very unhappy, as if something is bothering him. I’ve never had a dog before, so I don’t really know how to help him. Some of my friends who have dogs told me that he might have problems with his anal glands. Can you tell me how can I treat a condition like that? Is it serious? And could it be something else?

It is not so serious, don’t worry!  The problems with anal gland are actually very common in adult dogs. 

They are a bit more common in senior dogs and in small breed dogs than in young dogs. 

My advice for you is definitely go visit a vet. The vet will tell you exactly what the problem is and how to solve it. I assume he will give you two options. The first one is to feed your dog a bit differently so that his stool becomes hard. That will make his anal gland to empty naturally. 

The second option is that the vet do it. The process is not at all painful for dogs, but it can be a bit uncomfortable.   

Hey, that is probably that problem. I had the same situation with my dog. You need to visit a veterinarian, because anal glands must be lanced by a veterinarian. They usually subscribe an antibiotic for your pet, and I think that you should give it to your dog for seven to 14 days. Also, you should use warm compresses on the anal area - that often helps. But, you have to be careful, because that problem can repeat for several times. In that case, only solution is surgical removal of glands – actually, it is recommended.  Your dog is still very young, and you should know that this can happen again! 

Maybe it is in my nature, but I prefer natural treatments in this case. Of course, I would always accept antibiotics to heal this, but natural treatments are really welcome. You can try to cure it with food, because in general, good anal gland function requires harder stool. As you already know, dogs eat bones and those bones makes stool harder. But, if this is more serious, the most common treatment is an outpatient procedure called expression. The vets usually applies pressure to the anal gland until the thickened secretions are totally expelled from the sacs. After that, your dog probably will be nervous, but this is normal. He or her will be in big pain. 

I agree the vet is the best solution. But I myself was forced to try home treatment. The thing that they don’t tell you in the vet clinic is that once you take your dog to the vet to empty his glands, you will have to do that every once in a while. And those expenses were just too much for me. Luckily, my sister taught me how to clean my dog’s glands on my own, at home. It’s actually a very simple process, and my dog was feeling a lot better after it. Just find someone to teach you how to do that.

Yes, there is that option too. I am familiar with it even though I’ve never tried it on my dogs.

I prefer taking them to the vet. For me it is much safer and I don’t mind how much it costs as long as it will make my dog feel better.

Home treatment includes you squeezing the dog’s glands by yourself. If you decide to do that make sure everything around is clean, and get some gloves of course.  A sheet will also be needed if you don’t want your floor to be a mess. This process is not painful, but your dog might find it uncomfortable, so make sure you find someone to hold him.

Better try with ‘’ find six people to hold him’’.
If you ask me, that’s almost impossible for you to do it on your own. On the internet, they describe it as a pretty simple process. But in reality it’s really complicated. You need your dog to remain still, which he will not do because he will get nervous (you would get nervous too if someone tried doing that to you).
And then it is also not so simple to find where the glands are positioned. I think you need a veterinarian for this. I would never do it on my own.

Vet is the only reasonable solution. You can try whatever you want on your own but at the end, you will come to the conclusion that you are only harming the dog.

If every each of us know how to treat illnesses in dogs, we wouldn't need veterinarians, right? I'm always saying, let the professionals take care of it. Of course, they can do something wrong, but that's still less risky than taking matter into your own hands. 

The treatment of anal abscess is pretty routine thing and I think your dog will be ok. Just stick up to post-op procedures.