I'm 20 years old and I was recently diagnosed with amenorrhea. I haven't had a period in 6 months I don't know what to do. But my question is can I still get pregnant? :-(

I, like Daniela have not had a period in around 6 months due to amenorrhea caused by taking birth control pills and the morning after pill. I am 23 and this has been an ongoing problem for me for a few years. Only recently I've realized that it could be a real problem and that I may find it difficult to conceive when I am ready. I thought it was kind of nice to not have a period but hormone imbalances can cause many problems in addition to infertility, including acne, excessive hair growth, a lowered voice, osteoporosis and other bone loss issues because of an inability to absorb calcium. You can still get pregnant with this condition without treatment but it would be very difficult, especially if you are only ovulating twice a year. You would need to monitor your cycles and figure out the time period in which you are most likely to be fertile, a fertility monitor might be a good idea. The only catch is that just because you are menstruating doesn't mean that you ovulated so it is possible that you aren't ovulating at all and therefore could not get pregnant without some sort of treatment. You would need to talk to your doctor to find out what your options are and what the risks are and how you can develop a healthy cycle. It is normal for a woman to have amenorrhea (missed periods) at some time during her life but not if it continues (I believe a 3 month amenorrhea is considered to be normal). I believe the causes can include, rapid weight loss or gain, excessive exercise, eating disorders, stress, birth control, some medications, breast feeding, thyroid disorders, pituitary disease, ovary failure, uterine scarring, premature menopause and of course PREGNANCY. Hope I can be of help. Good Luck.

im a 17 year old and i took y pill wen i was like 15 for 10months its been a year n almost 4 months but i havent got my period for 5 months now i have had umprotected sex and at one point i have try ta get pregnant n i cant i cannot go to the doctors well cuz i dont have insurance n i dont have my ID's with me i dont know wat to do i really need help...

Hi Daniela, i have not had a peroid in fifteen years, you can get pregnant without ur period. like i said i have not had a period for 15 years now and i have 2 children. You need to see your doctor and let him place you on some medication that would help you. Please do not start any medication without your doctor's concent. The month important thing is for your ovulation to be induce, as long as it is possible for your ovulation to be induce you will get pregnant. all the best.

I am also in my early 20's and have had only 2 periods in the last 12 months. I have been looking into this for some time and have found that conceiving will be difficult if possible. It will all be dependent on what is causing your missed periods, it could be a hormonal imbalance (like cushing's syndrome/disease), PCOS, improper diet, too much exercise, excess stress. The sooner you find out your underlying cause the more you can understand your chances of conceiving. I hope my odds are good as well as all of yours. Best of luck ladies.

To guest who replied to Daniela on 10/14/09. ( The one who have not had a period for 15 years).
I have a question to ask you. I have condition like you, i have not had period for more than 10 years. Now i am trying to get pregnant.
I red your post and i would like to know how your doctor helped you? Is it just by taking medicine or by fertility program like IUI or IVF ?
Thank's in advance.

Ask your doctor to prescribe you Clomid which is a fertility drug. I had not been ovulationg for month's even though the ovultation kits said i had!! The first time i used this drug i got pregnant my Aunt had the same problem and that was also resolved twice with Clomid. I now have a happy healthy 4 year old boy and am trying again to fall pregnant. The doctor may want to do a blood test first to check you are definatly not ovulating.

i'm 17, going on 18 in march, and i went to the doctor thursday. and they diagnosed me with Amenorrhea. i have not had my period for about 5 months now. and i did not worry about it at first, because ever since i began having my period, age 14, i was irregualar. i would normally get my period every 3 months exact. i did not think much of it. but then i began to "freak out" when i did not get it past the 3 month mark i usually had, well it was 4 months without my period, and i had relations with my boyfriend. this was about a month ago. at first i thought i was pregnant, but i knew i couldn't be for many reasons. one, we used protection. two, we barely did anything.. and three, we never reached that mark( if you know what i mean). i decided to confront my mother about, for i was pretty startled about it. i knew something serious could be wrong with me. so we did, and i had to take a pregnancy test at the clinic. i do not know if its positive, or negative, they have not called me, but i know i am not pregnant, i couldn't be, there's just no way. but they still diagnosed me with Amenorrhea, and i've been researching it, and it's scaring me. i don't know what it is exactly, is it fatal? will it jepardize my later in life plans of having a child? what will happen to me?

Hi my name is tina and I'm having the same problem as this girls. I was on birth control at the age of 14 and stopped taking them at the age of 16. I have not had ovulated in 4yrs and I'm worried of wat the conditions could be inlife for me. Will I be able to get pregnant wat are my conditions of getting pregnant. I'm 20yrs old and me and my.boyfriend are trying to get pregnant and start a family..is it posible. Please help me and let me now wat to do...

when you go to the doctor and they diagnosed you with amenorrhea, how did they do it? like what procedures/tests did they do? thanks ladies and best of luck to all of you

good to hear other women with this problem. I have not had a natural period for nearly 10 years. i am 28 and want to become pregnant soon. I am worried that i may not be able to. for the women who have had amenorrhea for many years, are you underweight? my BMI is 19.5 (normal) and i do exercise for about 1 hour everyday, not excessive, but this is the only reason, that doctors tell me why i suffer from this. what are other peoples experience for underlying causes??

even i havent got my period for about 5 years alredi ..now i am 31 and im so worry that if i cant get pregnant.

Hey ladies, I am 24 years old and I have 2 children already, my periods have never been regular but after my second child they have stopped all together.. I was remarried a year ago and he wants us to have a child of our own he is afraid that he is steral and I dont  know if it is me or him I keep taking pregnancy test and we let ourselfs down every time its negitive.  Also I had a c section with both of my kids which i hear can cause scaring and keep you from having a cycle...is this accurate? thanks.

Hi all!
I had no period for nearly 10 years. My first menstruation came late, around 16 years old. Then , twice in two years. I was diagnosed with PCOS and I was taking the pill for 10 years. When I stopped, the period did not came, in 6 months, a year or whatever. I gave up the pill five years ago. It took me two years until I started to balance myself. I went through very important changes in myself, and one of that changes  finally got my period back. I used meditation, the hoponopono(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoʻoponopono) technique and the easiest thing: talking with my ovaries to call them, sending them love, until they start to work again.It was a hard task, it took me around two years and a half until they started to work every 5 months first, then every 3 months to now, that they work perfectly!
It may seem odd, but since two years ago, I have periods between 28-35 days...incredible! With no drugs! (Sometimes I just took onagra oil in the herb shops).
I hope my experience can help so many people who are suffering from the same problem and taking so much drugs that do no good to our bodies.
Good luck!

Hi Everyone

I have the same problem as all of u but just my thing is i'm really afraid of going to the doctor and hi/her actually confirming this. I'm more afraid of the fact that they might tell me i won't be able to have children and i'm engaged to be married so do you guys suggest that I actually go or not?