Hi, I have been thinking about changing my workout program. For about one year I have been going to aerobic classes. It has become a little bit boring and I would like to move on. A friend of mine has suggested TaeKwonDo. I know that this is a martial art discipline. Would this sport help me to stay in shape?

Hi, taekwondo is a martial art and combat sport. It can be an excellent form of workout, especially since you have already done aerobics and have achieved certain level of fitness. Switching to taekwondo would be a welcome change. For doing the movements of taekwondo, you will need to strengthen your core muscles. This is important because taekwondo demands balance and body control. The core muscles are strengthened with the push ups, crunches and similar exercises. After this warm up stage you will begin to practice the moves specific for taekwondo. Taekwondo will not only help you stay in shape, it will improve it. You should definitely give it a try.