Hello! I am about to have a hysterectomy done next week. When I was talking to my doctor about the recovery from the surgery, he said to me that I will have to do some exercises because exercising will help me recover faster. The thing is that I am not much of a exercise person. I was always thin, have never been on a diet, and I have never exercised, so I don’t really like gyms and all those fitness stuff. I would like to know, if there is a lady who had hysterectomy done but didn’t do any post op exercises and yet recovered well from the operation. All replies are welcome!!!

Hi there! I had hysterectomy done 3 years ago, and sorry to disappoint you…I was exercising, and it did nothing but good for me. Maybe it is high time you became an exercise person. You know, it doesn’t have to be a gym or a fitness studio. Walking, running, swimming, tennis, yoga nad stretching are exercises you can do on your own, out or at home and that are very important post op exercises. Not only will these exercises help you recover faster, but they can help you avoid mild post op depression, boost your immune system, provide oxygen to the brain, and help you develop muscles. What I think is that you should re-think your decision about not having any exercises and give them a shot!!! Good luck!!!!

Hi Franchette,

"Exercise" may be a bit misleading. My surgeon was very specific that after the surgery I was very limited on lifting, no vacuuming, etc. What she did recommend (and I have done) is walking. Minimal exertion, but I can really feel a difference if I skip walking for a day. I am three weeks out from the surgery and by the end of the day my pelvic area is feeling "poofy". If I walk - not even far - I find that the feeling goes away and I am again comfortable. I have reached a point now that I find as soon as my pelvis starts to feel uncomfortable I am automatically putting on my sneakers and heading out the door.

So when your surgeon advocated exercise, he or she is talking about very minimal activity to start. I've been warned away from anything that exercises my abdominal muscle (such as true exercises or lifting) for close to 3 months from the date of my surgery.

Lesley