My periods before my abortion were pretty standard each month. Day one: light. Day 2-3: heavy Day 4: break Day 5: heavy and then I was finished.

I just got my period (almost 7 weeks post abortion) on Monday and this period is WAY different. I'm bleeding way more than I normally do. From Day 2 until now (Day 4) it's been non-stop bleeding. I've had to resort to wearing a tampon and a pad when going out so I don't leak everywhere. I'm not in any kind of pain just miserable from all this bleeding. I'd say I am soaking through a pad every couple of hours when it's bad. I can sometimes get to 3-4 hours a few times during the day. When I get out of bed in the morning it's a compete mess. How I haven't destroyed my bed I have no idea.

Please tell me this is normal and that it will settle down. I really don't feel comfortable going to my GP with this, don't have an OB/GYN and do NOT want to go back to the clinic.

I am in the same boat as you, but this JUST started for me.

I had an abortion April 7th and didn't have a period for may, but I ended up feeling like I was going to start. I had severe cramping and bloating but my period never came. Yesterday I was feeling the same, heavy heavy cramping and terrible bloating -- no period. Today... out of NOWHERE along with the heavy cramping, I bled through my underwear and jeans!! I put a regular tampon in and ended up bleeding through that, my underwear, and my pants within 2hrs. I REALLY hope this goes away. I have a 15hr flight tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

I don't feel comfortable going back to the clinic AT ALL. That is the last place I will ever go back to. I don't have time to go back to my regular doctor since I'm leaving the country.

I've never had heavy periods before. My periods normally lasted 3-4 days. The first day was heavy - never bled through a tampon EVER, and the rest were light.

I've been reading around and it seems like we're not the only ones and I read in a post-abortion website that some women have heavier periods than normal after their abortion. I just hope this doesnt ruin my vacation!

My problem is a little bit diffrent. I had an abortion about 7 weeks ago, maybe longer. The other day i bled a little bit, just for one day, now i keep getting really painful cramps. I bled for about 4 days heavily right after my abortion. When will i be getting my normal period?

I have had the same experience. I have always had very light periods, but now I am soaking a pad every two to three hours. And I have strong cramps as well. It's not really a big deal, but I wish that I had been warned that this was a possible side effect. When I put in my normal tampon and started leaking a lot within an hour, I got nervous that something had gone wrong.

I even called the emergency nurse through planned parenthood, but she reassured me that sometimes that the procedure finishes "cleaning out" during the first period. She said not to be worried unless you meet their threshold for concern: 2 pads in 1 hour.

I have had the exact same thing. One pad every hour or two, with multiple bleed-throughs. Was kind of freaking me out. Glad I found this post.

okay i had an abortion on tuesday the 26th it is not sunday may 1st i am really scared i woke up this morning and went to the bathroom and the whole toilet bowl was red i dont know if this is right and i am scared.

This is my second abortion, and I had the same heavy bleeding the first time. This time I got into the shower, and it was like someone had shot me between my legs. The blood was unreal, and I thought maybe something had torn open. I passed a huge blood clot, and then things calmed down for a bit. Now I have bad cramps and severe bleeding. A tampon every 30 min. If this keeps up I'm calling my doc.

i had an at home abortion 5 weeks ago which was horrible and i apparently lost alot of blood. 3 weeks after the abortion i had mirena inserted which came with horrible cramps & i bled for about a week. now i think this is my first period post abortion and the first day it was just spotting but for the past 5days its been very heavy and bright red ... is this normal?? i dont have insurance so i dont want to go back to planned parenthood

Hi what happened after this post?

hello. how would you know if its the first period after abortion or if its still bleeding from it? 

Yes I know what you mean cuz the first day I had really light blood like it was red/pink and it would only happen or I'll notice it when I wipe and it only last like this for 2 or 3 days and it's freaken me out and I took a test it is a bright negative I just want to know how do I really know if it's a period I had my abortion in April and I went to the 2weeks check up as well and no period in May or June till no that we are in July

I am experiencing the exact same thing - usually a 5 or 6 day period that's lighter in the middle. Had a surgical abortion and got my first period about 6 weeks later and it is currently quite a bit heavier but with no cramping.

Thank you for putting this up. I just a scary experience looking into my toilet.

I'm so glad to see this. I had the medical abortion almost 4 weeks ago. I haven't bled in 2 weeks and today suddenly I passed a huge clot and soaked my jeans almost to the knees. It's the most blood I've ever lost (even through the abortion). Now I'm soaking maxis at around 45mjnutes with intense cramping and fever chills. Did this type of abnormal period disappeared after your first period after the procedure or did you experience further complications? I'm thinking that I might need to head into emergency if this continues.

As soon as you're expiriencing fever chils etc. Its time to go to a doctor. NOW.