I never had any problems with my tooth. Never in my life. Now, my dentist scheduled a surgical extraction of wisdom tooth. In a week, I think, that I have an appointment. What to do, was my main question? Because, I am scared of possible infections, etc. What can I expect from a surgical extraction of wisdom tooth? What about aftercare? Can you tell me more about this, because I really hate going to the dentist and I really don't know much about this? Now, I know that my time has come to remove it, but even if I am 37 years old guy, I am scared. 

Good day everyone.

I think that aftercare is really, really important. I dare to say the most important. So, that means that after the surgery you really should keep the mouth clean, at least, as much as possible. That means just one thing - wash your mouth after every meal. For the first two days, apply an ice pack.

Also, when you are eating, try to eat soft foods, because it can't harm the wound. 

Avoid a straw.

But generally, it is very, very important to follow your doctor instructions, he won't let you home without giving you a note how to treat your wound. 

Good day.

You can expect everything that is good if you are following your doctor's instructions because that is the only way that you will prevent an Infection after wisdom tooth removal, which is something that can happen very, very often. So, that means that you should keep the mouth clean all the time, after every meal, and that there is no vigorous rinsing should be performed until the day following surgery. Sure, brush your teeth every day, but boys some soft brush for teeth​ because you will avoid some possible damage. And salty water is OK as well. Try it. Good luck. 

Celebrity

Hello there everyone.

I know that a lot of people start to panic when the dentist tells them that they need to remove their wisdom tooth, but it is nothing dangerous. It is something that affects your oral health and it should be removed. When it comes to aftercare, there is no much to do about it, since it is not complicated at all. The best thing that you can do is to apply an ice pack to the outside of your mouth intermittently, and you should leave it there for 20 minutes. You should also do this for at least two days in order to minimize swelling, bruising or any discomfort. 

Hello there. In the first couple of days after the surgery, it is very important to limit eating, drinking and talking. Generally, you need to limit it totally for the first two hours following surgery. The rest of the day, you need to get rest, because the wound can open and it is not good. Now, to keep from dislodging the blood clot, try not to rinse vigorously and it would be a good idea to use a straw when drinking, but try not to pull in too much, because air can come in the contact with your wound. Additionally, avoid rigorous exercise for a few days, and of course, after 12 hours, you can gently rinse with a diluted mouthwash. Those all are really helpful aftercare advices.

Good day, so I am about to have this procedure as well. I just woke up one night with an huge headache and tooth pain at the same time. The right side of my face was doubled :/ I got scared, so my hubby did as well. So, I took an Ibuprofen because I was aware that I need to wait for a couple of hours until I visit my dentist. So, the first thing that I did when the sun was up - I went to my dermatologist and he told me that it is not an inflammation - which was weird to me, since it was really painful and huge. He told me that the root is causing this and that this tooth needs to go out. But first, I need to take an 3D scan of my whole jaw. It seems that this surgery will last for at least an hour. Now, what I can expect?

Celebrity

Yes, there is a truth in this as well. Now, I remember that I forgot to tell you also a couple of very important things.  I think that you can choose anesthesia on your own, but of course, never skip consulting your dentist. Also, you really don't need to worry about aftercare, because if everything is ok, you will need a typically about one week to get better. Occasionally, it’ll take as short as four days to recover, but I am sure that your doctor will tell you to wait for a week because this is the way how you will prevent possible complications. But you need to know one really important factor as well - you're recovery time and recovery process will depend on you as well. When it comes to aftercare, I think that you already know about it. 

In 99 percent, recovery process depends on you.
If you want to see a recovery soon, you need to follow all the aftercare procedure.
Here are some more advice:
- Sip on water, but be careful and do not gulp, spit or swish. Why? Because, doing all of those things can make you prone to a dry socket., and that is the most common complication after this procedure,
- try not to spit after this procedure,
- put an ice pack on your cheeks,
- don't eat so much,
- use the pain killers and smash them if this will be easier for you.
Good luck!