In March I got back into running. The problem is that after about 30-40 minutes I get bored and end up stopping. I use my iphone in an arm band for music, but are there any other tricks to running for longer?

Most people will probably advise music but I would suggest that you should sign up for some kind of race over the next few months. Every training session becomes a lot more interesting as soon as you have a focus.

for me ,music is ok

I feel your pain. sometimes even 20 minutes in, I'm almost as bored as when I'm waiting in the doctor's office! BUT there are a couple tricks I use (not sure if they'll work for you) which make this a non-issue 90% of the time:

1. music: don't listen to anything new. use _very_ familiar tunes. being able to predict what comes next lets me "float along" with the song, and before I know it, 4 mins is over, then 12 ... then 45 ...

2. try to focus on one thought/idea; it sets me into a trance. seems simple but it's not... in a way you're also trying, actively, NOT to think if that makes sense.

Set some goals to keep motivated. Also mix up your training. Do some cycling or swimming some days or some weights. Try running with a friend to keepyou company

I have to admit I hate exercising for the sake of exercising. In other words I have to have some goal, or thing I want to see.

As I have moved to more of 3 mile runs (from dying in .5 miles) I have found I need to have a goal of getting to a place and back.

I make different routes around my area online and then go run different places.

The scenery breaks it up for me, instead of running the same old place each day.

May work for you too.

You could also try something like a sprint, intervals or track session to break up your training.

I always find that going on a run with a running club keeps things interesting as well

............
Triathlon - *** no links to other forums ***

I think you must keep running .May be you don't running for a long time.

I turn it into games sometimes. Like go into a new neighborhood and only turn left. You must turn left at all chances to. That takes me into parts of town that I never see otherwise.

Or open a map and look for something weird or new to run to and explore like a park that you have never been to.

Or use that iphone to track where you have been like mapmyrun or something. But us the mapping software to draw a picture or run a route that spells out your name on a map or something. It can be a total blast.

Todd

i used to experience boredom! music sometimes help. such as those really quick fast paced music. love those electro, dirty dutch music when i run. if my ipod is not available, i usually make myself think about other stuffs while running. like what i would do when i get home (keeps me motivated to run faster so that i can go back and do it), or what happened at work, or how i can surprise my girlfriend etc. works for me!

likethis person, I'm not much of a fan of music while I run. I did it at first (just because.. that's what runners do, or so I thought), but it didn't do much for me. I just think about problems that I have (how to fix this, or optimize that, etc.) and it keeps my mind off of running, and before I know it, I'm done. :)

try some snacks!

try some snacks!
I usually started my warmup and by the time I finished I was out of steam, especially on cold fall mornings. But now I start with so much more enthisiasm!

I listen to either podcasts or am talk radio on my iphone. There's hundreds of categories for whatever your interests are. Also, I'll download them in advance so I don't use data.
- Tom

I get pretty bored with the longer easier runs as well. That's why I try and mix it up and do some Intervals or Reps. Every once in awhile some Threshold training can make things fun too.