Hello. I have one problem with my older dog. He keeps scratching himself and I can see how much this is uncomfortable. Every minute he is nervous and he scratch himself. When we walk, he just won’t stop doing that. Yesterday, I took him to the vet and he had the same behavior. Everything is fine, he is healthy, but according to my vet he has itchy skin, and this is the main reason why is he starching himself all the time. I have to say that I am a little bit worried. This is why I need the best dog shampoo for itchy skin. Can you recommend some? 

This is really, really uncomfortable. I am really surprised that the vet didn’t give you the name of some dog shampoo for itchy skin :/ It is really weird. When I had this situation, I was using hypoallergenic shampoo. It is soap free, it has tearless formula and it is great if your dog has really sensitive skin, like my dog. It contains aloe extracts and vitamin E. I was washing my dog with this shampoo for three weeks, and he stopped scratching himself.  I have heard that Ark natural neem protect shampoo is good as well, but I haven’t try it yet. 

I wonder how did the vet knew that your dog ‘’has itchy skin’’.  Did he even consider that the dog might be having allergic reaction to some of the things from his surroundings?

My dog also has very sensitive skin and I  am very careful when putting things on it. I choose only hypoallergenic shampoos. Which shampoo do you use? He can be allergic to it, you know?

Aloe vera is great for all sorts of skin inflammations, rashes and stuff like that. I don’t know the brands, but my advice would be to find a shampoo that consists aloe vera. It will surely help.

Yes, that is the same what I wanted to ask – how did he know that he has itchy skin? How is that even possible for him to see? I mean, scratching around is something that doesn’t have to mean that he has “itchy skin”, maybe sensitive, but itchy?

I was reading about sensitive and irritated skin and I found out that chamomile tea can help your dog in this case, especially if you combine it with aloe vera. This is totally natural and I am sure that this one will work just fine. Now, if he has some skin rash, you might need to find some other cure.

Good luck! 

Yes, the first thing you need to do is to determine if the rash is caused by allergy or by some skin problems. So, it’s the best to seek another vet or persuade yours to take another look.

As for shampoos, I agree with Aloe vera recommendation. I had very good experience with this type of shampoo. Also, Septiderm-V Antiseptic Skin Care Bath is great for my German Shepherds and we are fully satisfied.

But, before using any brand of shampoos you need confirmation from your vet. He/she knows the best what kind of shampoo you can use for your dog’s skin.

Folks, my mother was making natural shampoo for itchy dog skin, when her dog had problems with it. But, of course, first, you need to determine the main cause of itchy skin, before you use this. But, I really don’t believe that this natural shampoo can harm your dog. You will need a few ingredients. One quart of water, one cup of all natural liquid soap, half cup of glycerin. Combine those ingredients. You can also add one cup of apple cider vinegar and aloe vera. I am sure that everything will be just fine.

You can try it, it can’t harm your dog. 

My first choice is always homemade. That way you know exactly  what ingredients are included in the shampoo that you’re using. Homemade shampoos should include (just like Millie-cat said)  water, one cup of all natural liquid soap, half cup of glycerin and definitely aloe vera. You have no idea how beneficial aloe vera can be for the dog’s skin. When it comes to dog shampoos that you can buy in pet stores, avoid shampoos that include fragrance in them. There are some shampoos made pure (they do not include any irritants or fragrance) , making them safe for your dog’s skin. 

I totally agree with Mima when it comes to aloe vera and its amazing skin nurturing properties. It is very helpful both for dogs and humans. You will see a lot of products containing aloe vera as a main active ingredient.

So, my advice is to find a shampoo that contains aloe vera and (this is the most important thing so I have to write it even though someone already mentioned it) a shampoo that is hypoallergenic. That means it is tested and it’s 100 % free of any allergens.

These are some very good brands: Top Paw oatmeal baking soda shampoo and Pet Naturals of Vermont oatmeal shampoo.