I'v been looking for alternatives to self injuring, but I dont see any that help. I'v been self injuring (cutting) for a year now and its noticable. The cuts are reallyy embarrasing and i hate when people see my wrists so i try to cover them up by wearing long sleeve shirts and hoodies but i'm sick of it. I really want to stop but its so hard to fight the erge. I need some helpful alteratives so i can put an end to this. I'v heard masterbating or drawing things on your cuts is helpful but i don't know if that actually helps lol.

Let me know your alternatives or your ideas!! :)

I used to self harm for a few years and I managed to stop - and I totally get the wanting to cover them up so if you ever need to talk im around. but yeah, i suggest singing/screaming songs (even if you're a terrible singer idk), write stories/poems/lyrics, draw, masturbate aha, and realise you are great. Write a list of why you're a good person, try a few at first then build a massive list. :) I can't think of anymore, hope helped a little.

ive had problems with the same thing, got sick of having to cover them up and decided to stop although still have the urge every now and then

when i feel the need to self harm, i usually call a friend, chat online to people, or meet someone, chat to my parents and siblings about nothing just to distract myself. 

going on a walk can help to

doing things which actively make you leave your room. 

you can listen to happy music 

you can try meditation or hypnotherapy (you can download on your ipod or iphone)

try and get into cooking. baking is very therapudic. 

draw butterflies on your wrist

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

you must know that relapses happen

you are still strong 

the thing thats more important is the time gaps between each cut. instead of cutting every day.. you cut every week (thats progress) and then maybe every couple of months, and then every couple of years, and finally never. the urge doesnt go away over night

if you get me!

stay strong

hope this helps

Since we're not allowed to talk about religion on this site let me simplly state this; there is a Higher Power that loves you and cares greatly for you. While you feel the urge to cut yourself, this Higher Power will take that urge away from you and replace it with a desire to know Him and to love Him.

Try biting/knawing on your higher arm/lower forarm if you can. If you cant, just bite/knaw anywhere on your bad/non-writing arm. The marks usually disapear in a few days, and the marks hide themselves while they're there. If chewing isnt your space, scratch instead of cut. Those marks hurt as much as biting/cutting. These alternatives take longer to get off of, but are generally safer, like tobacco patches for a smoker. just remember to do your job and try to resist more and more gradully overtime.

Hey, I don't personally cut myself so I can't really relate to this as much. I do have friends who have cutted in the past, some that are still cutting though they try not to and others that have stopped cutting but are still self-harming themselves in different ways, ie..burning, suffocating, etc… but they do in some ways, try to stop. At least about 2/3 of them have admitted themselves to a special hospital but something tells me, that's the last thing you'd probably do. But try out,

Reading, exercising, doing a new Sport like football(soccer), rugby, basketball, cross-country, swimming, etc... Or have a go at meeting new people, meditating, trying out a new instrument, just finding music that relates, write poems, your own stories or just read somebody else's. Try cooking, masturbation, dancing, singing, even getting a new pet, getting closer to your friends or family, or basically anything that can keep your mind distracted. Even studying, yuk D: and talk to me if you need/want to talk, cool?:)

Hey :) i'm a self harmer too but I haven't done it in a few weeks.... One thing that really helped me is looking for things that have a "shock factor" for example, biting down on ice, something really spicy or taking a cold/really hot shower. These things all give you th same sensation, like you're in pain, but aren't harmful to your health and don't leave a scar :) Also, if you like seeing the blood (which I do) then drawing on yourself with a red marker can help. Goodluck! :)))