Hi all,

I have been searching the internet for some kind of answer or for anybody else that can help or relate to what I'm going through. I have come across this forum and have registered in the hope that you will be able to give me your opinion.
Right, last month I took an early pregnancy test (because I just can't help myself)!! It came back positive, in fact 4 tests were a faint positive, but the line was there and my husband and I were over the moon. I wasn't due on until the next day so I thought that maybe that was why the line was faint. 2 days later I went to the toilet and when I wiped myself I was bleeding. To cut a long story short, the doctor told me I was experiencing a chemical pregnancy. Obviously we were gutted as I have had 2 miscarriages previously (one at 14 wks and one at 10 wks) even though we have 2 boys which we love dearly we are really wanting one more child and are really hoping for a girl. I wish I hadn't done that early test and wasn't so impatient because if i never knew I would've just thought my period was late.
Anyway, it's all happened again or so I think. I was due on Friday 9th May I have 28 day cycles, regular as clockwork now (since coming off depo provera jab) but I had started feeling sicky and dizzy for 2 or 3 days before I was due to come on so took an early test and there was a faint positive. I took another 2 tests and they were faint too. Then, on the evening before my date to come on I wiped myself after going to the toilet and there was a small amount of blood on the tissue. The next day I used a tampon but I needn't have bothered really as there wasn't much on it. It lasted for 2 days and that was it. Usually my period is fairly heavy and lasts about 4 or 5 days. The bleeding stopped and I after that I had really bad cramps. Usually it's the other way round, cramps then bleeding, so what's that about? Anyway because the bleeding was so light and I've been looking on the internet into it and found out about implantation bleeding I decided to take another test (2 actually) one said faint positive other said negative. My questions are...Was I experiencing yet another chemical pregnancy? Was I pregnant at all? Should I take another test as I still feel pregnant ie sick, sore tingly breasts dizziness if I stand up to quick and tiredness, Was it my period or implantation bleeding? I heard implantation bleeding happened way before your period was due not the day before... Sorry this is so long and maybe half the information is useless but please reply... Thank you. Stacey.

wow stacey, i'm kind of in the same situation as you. i was 6 days late for my period, but all my tests were negative, and then on day six i got my "period" but its lighter ( a lot lighter ) than normal. however i'm still feeling sick and dizzy and i've puked a few times which was followed by dirrhea. overall i thnk i'm pregnant also. but not sure b/c of the neg HPT's. i hope you are pregnant for your sake. and i hope i am too. good luck :-) -Lindsey

Hi Lindsey,

Thank you for your reply. It's not nice being in this situation is it?! It's the not knowing that's the worst! After I posted my 1st post on here earlier I went and bought 2 more tests, I knew I would, I just can't help myself. I had both of them say positive. The lines are thin though, so I made an appointment at the doctors so I could show her and see what she thought. When I got there she said that yes there was a line and I need to take a urine sample in next Wednesday so she can send it to the hospital to be confirmed as its too early at the moment. Apparently I will be 6 weeks on Wednesday??? I'm not sure how they work it because the last time I bled was a 'chemical pregnancy' so I don't know if that affects things? I feel pregnant. I suppose I'll have to be patient.
I really hope that everything works out for you too. Do you have regular cycles? Maybe you had a longer cycle so miscalculated when you were ovulating and due for your next one? Maybe its implantation bleeding? As hard as it is, the best thing is time, give it a little while before you test again. Let me know how you get on. Good luck!! Stacey.

Well, I have taken 2 more tests and the line(s) are fainter than before. I don't understand. I would've thought that if i had had a miscarriage then I would've bled alot more, that's why I was convinced it was implantation bleeding.... Maybe I'm still testing too early??? When is too early? I've been looking on the internet and most people say wait till you miss your period but I had bleeding around the time of my period. I'm not sure if things were clear in my original post, but I bled the day before I was due on, it was so so light and pink it was weird and if I hadn't have felt so ill I would never have done a test. But I did and have had positive and negative results and now faint ones. I still feel sicky and tired. I think the only thing to do is wait until Wednesday to go to the doctors and give them a sample to test. Its sooooooo hard though just waiting. I'm looking at finding out in 7 days time at this rate. The results will be back next Friday. Tut. Not knowing is awful. Why do I feel so rough if I'm not pregnant? If I have lost the baby (if there was one) how long would it take for the HCG levels to start falling? Maybe that's why my test is faint? Who knows. This is killing me. Maybe I shouldn't be so desperate.

my dear stacey- I don't think you have anything to worry about. I feel that the "spotting" you had was indeed implantation bleeding and you are pregnant. Of course you will find out for sure in a week but implantation bleeding can happen up until when you expect your period (which is why a lot of women who have it think that it is their period and think nothing of it) Since your "implantation" recently happend (you probably did ovulate a bit later than usual) your levels would still be a little low causeing some light lines (different tests test for different levels and sometimes even the same brands will be a different in the levels they detect depending on the company- at any rate after implantation its no longer considered a "chemical pregnancy" its a real pregnancy. You know have an embryo. You defintely would've had more bleeding/cramping if you were miscarrying. AND you have had quite a few positive tests- SO as far as I am concerned...congradulations on your pregnancy and I hope it all goes well for you - Of course its not a 100% until your doc confirms it but its somewhere in the 90's....and that is a high rate. I wouldn't be freaking over it if I were you you don't want to get allworked up when pregnant :) Anyways....let us know when you get your confirmation if you can...and again Congratulations :)

That's a very difficult question and one of the downsides of following your cycles that closely. I read somewhere that over 50 percent of all pregnancies are actually chemical pregnancies, ie, very early miscarriages that most women will never even find out about if they don't follow their cycles and take pregnancy tests so early. 

Because you are still having pregnancy symptoms, though, it is possible that you did have an implantation bleeding or just general early pregnancy spotting and you are still pregnant. I would wait a while and then take another test. 

As for, were you ever pregnant, a faint line is a line too. False positives are very rare indeed, because you need hCG in your urine to get a positive pregnancy test.

Hello! i am new to this, i have been worried sick about this issue... I was supposed to start 6 days ago but on the day i was supposed to start i had a small amount of light pink discharge then nothing else. I waited because we have been ttc for over 3 years now. I had a miscarriage about 3.5 years ago and nothing since then. I have been having cramping and back pain like i am about to start but nothing yet. I took 3 test all are negative. 2 when i was 4 days late and another today but all are negative. I have been hoping and praying we would be but waiting makes me anxious and nervous especially since everyone around me is getting pregnant. I dont know what to do. I called the dr office to ask the lady told me to come in to get checked but said if i had a negative test i was probably not pregnant. But i hear all these stories and it makes me hopeful. I dont know if anyone has any helpful advice?

My docter told me it is very rare to get a false positive, but easy to get false negatives. I was two weeks late when I took a test and it said positive, it's been 3 days and I went the the bathroom and has a very very light pink color when I wiped. Anyone know what that could be? I haven't been cramping or anything just nauseated.

Hi Jessica,

You should be fine. It could be 'old blood' coming out - I had that at the start of my pregnancy and my doctor said it was common and often mistaken as a miscarriage. Without cramping it would not signify that you would be having a miscarriage or anything.

IF it gets worse or you develop cramping. Either call your doctor ASAP and if she/he is not available go to the ER and get examined to make sure everything is OK, follow-up with your doctor soon after.

Good luck, congratulations and hope this helps