My soon to be exwife has been taking cymbalta for about a year and a half and i noticed a change in her. She started to go out to clubs alot and drinking and even not coming home for a couple of days she is still taking it and still being out in the bars now we are divorcing and the kids are the most effective by this dramatic change, use caustion while taking cymbalta and try not to drink alcohol with it. this drug work good but it has and evil twist to it....FYI if you every get off cymbalta ill pray for you cuz the symptoms are horrific.

Same. I was a light social drinker (3-4 oz a week). Took Cymbalta for over a year for pain management. During that time, I was drinking 12-14 oz a week...maybe more. A big difference from my normal. My husband said he hadn't reached "alarmed" but was "watching". MD poo-pooed my concern it was the drug. Quit taking Cymbalta, cravings went away. I drink 2-3 oz a month now.

I too experienced this same thing. It has caused me to quit drinking and made me think I was crazy. Glad to see there was some type of connect and thuis an excuse to my behavior. I have never had a drinking problem or a problem drinking in moderation in social setting...until this drug.

Been off Cymbalta for a year but alcohol intake is still way more than before Cymbalta. Can't get drunk, just mildly tipsy. 3 days ago had mild alcohol poisoning. Not sure how much I drank. Now if alcohol touches my lips I feel instantly ill. Scary, scary scary. 

i've noticed a huge increase in my drinking about 3 weeks after taking cymbalta. the problem i face is that cymbalta helps my RA and pain. It' s also helped with the depression and anxiety which hadn't been that bad, but now is pretty much non existent since my pain level is manageable. but...my drinking is almost out of control. i crave booze. stuff i've never wanted before in huge amounts. i know i should talk to my doctor about this but can't imagine life without cymbalta. definately some struggles right now. you aren't the only one.

I just read this post and my jaw dropped. my tendency to bing drink while on cymbalta is a bad choice, period.  From what i've read is that alcohol tendency is related to depression.  You have ask yourself....Does alcohol "temporarily" help?  yes, but it's a bad choice for sure.  It is stupid to think that alcohol helps while being treated with this drug. They may cancell each other out even.

Set rules for yourself and be moderate if can.  If you can't, stop drinkning and stay the course of treatment.  I guess all this advice is for me, and you reading this post.  I find the drug makes me drunker....no middle gound here.  I go from buzzed to hammered and that is not a good thing.

I think I'll go alcohol free the next several weeks and experiment with that course.  One drug makes you feel good the other has no benifit.

I have been taking Cymbalta for a long time and loved to have one or two glasses of wine a night. Now i drink like a fish and can't stop. Up to a bottle and a half a night. Each night i say I won't drink but I can't do it. FOR SURE!!!! It is the Cymbalta

Just out of curiosity, do you work for Eli lily?

How did going alcohol free work for you ? I've been experiencing all the same binge drinking symptoms since starting this drug and thanks to this forum just figured out that cymbalta may be the cause.

Cymbalta works through the Nero-pathways of our minds. It can also help people with nerve damage. The chemicals in Cymbalta are slightly changing the balance of the brain that is why it says do not drink with this medication or in some places drinking may cause the effects of this medication to intensify. I have been taking it for 2 years now and try my best to stay away from alcohol. when I do drink I also over indulge to the point of black out. (everything I posted is only what I have been told)

Oh my god! This is me and my husband reversed! I am on Cymbalta and have become increasingly needing more and more and more alcohol. I lose myself completely to it. It's like the high of a great drug, or a rush of dopamine. It makes you feel alive, alert, happy, loved, liked, wanted, etc- all the things missing in your life(weather you caused them or not). It makes you feel like your spouse is just mean or judgemental, or uncaring, or boring, when they plead with you to stop. You don't even realize you are out of control. The next day feels horrible and embarrassing- you either did or said irrational things, or can't remember if you did. So....have another drink to fix it, and again, and again- until you are LOST. You are not you on this mix. I just cheated on my husband of 18 years, for absolutely no reason. Just because I liked the attention. Didn't even know the man. I didn't come home to my husband and son. It didn't cross my mind I needed to. Now my whole life is over because I have lost who I am. Please don't be mad at your husband- he cannot help it, I promise. He absolutely needs help before he destroys his life. Please try to encourage counseling for your marriage. Don't harp on the drinking, as he is not ready to acknowledge the problem yet. Maybe you can call a counsellor who can help you to talk to him in a way that will get thru to him. Please don't give up on him- he needs you. I hope he realizes it before he finds out the hard way! Please share this with him. It happened to me in one night- that I will never be able to take back! He is not "him" right now. I truly wish you the very best!!!

No sh*t! We all know this. You do not know what it's like. Do not preach to us. We are all just realizing the problem, and trying to deal with it thru mutual understanding. People like you make it much, MUCH worse!!!! We all know what we SHOULD do! Get away from here, PLEASE!!!!

Are you still there? Nobody is here anymore!

Yes, I quit and Cymbalta and upped the drinking. Life is better now.

I have had the very same experience.