I am wondering about something ... it has to do with insulin pumps... do all diabetics have the right to try an insulin pump?  I am thinking that I would benefit from having one.  I have been diabetic type 2 for a long time, about 12 years and it started out that I could control my blood sugars just my diet, well then as time went on, I need to take a pill, then I had to add more pills.   Eventually I started to have to be on insulin injections as well.  I really hate those dreaded things, those needles.  I would rather be stuck one time by having an insulin pump hooked up to me and then I don't have to poke myself all the time.  Does anyone else have this insulin pump device on them?  Do you like it a lot better?  I would think it would be great but my doctor said I don't need it.  He doesn't listen to me.  He just smiles then ignores my request much of the time.  Then says you don't need it.  So shouldn't I have the right to try an insulin pump?

I believe you should be able to get a pump if you really think you will benefit from it over the insulin injections you have been giving yourself.  The only question is would be if your insurance would cover the cost for this type of medication delivery system?  It will be more expensive and if your doctor cannot show that you would benefit from it more so than with insulin injections, the insurance company will not pay for it. 

If you have no qualms about paying for it out of pocket, then you will probably be able to get it with a doctor’s order.  You should ask your doctor about it.