Hi. I’m 23 years old and have been working out for almost 5 years. The last 2 weeks I've been exercising much harder. Until the three days ago, when I felt slight pain in my left chest radiating into my my left arm. I stopped exercising and half an hour later the pain went away. I thought it was nothing, but my mum insisted that I should visit doctor. I went to the cardiologist yesterday and I've been told I have cardiac syndrome x. I've been prescribed with beta blockers. Doc also told me I shouldn't worry because apparently it isn't so serious condition and that I could continue with my active lifestyle. I’m in pretty good health and also I have no history of heart disease in my family. Still I'm not convinced I should continue with exercises. What do you think about this condition? Is it serious? Can you suggest some safe workout routines for me? Thank you!

Hi. Regular exercise is important when you have a heart disease, because it makes your heart muscle stronger. Also, exercise may help lower your blood pressure and cholesterol. However, always talk with your doctor before starting an exercise program, to make sure what type exercise is safe for you.From my experience I could tell that aerobic activities are recommended, because they use your heart and lungs for a long period of time, and help your heart use oxygen better and improves blood flow.Start slowly with walking, swimming, light jogging, or biking. Do this aerobic exercises at least 3-4 times a week. Always do 5 minutes of stretching or warming up your muscles and heart before exercising. Also, always cool down after you exercise. Don't forget to take rest occasionally before you get too tired.During the summer, exercise in the morning or evening and do not to wear too many layers of clothes.Besides aerobic training, Resistance weight training may improve your strength and help your muscles work better. But they do not help your heart like aerobic exercises do.As I said, check out with your doctor first.