sadmelissa wrote:

thrownunderthebus wrote:

I was misdiagnosed. It's been 3 months since my injury and I'm still waiting for a CONSULTATION with foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon.

I had to go to the USA for a second opinion because I was unable to get a second referral in Canada. The Canadian orthopedic surgeon threw my under the bus. He would NOT do a CT scan even though the radiologist recommended it. My MRI was cloudy due to all the blood and swelling. I had 2 fractures and high signals in other areas. I had a space between first and second toe, lots of pain up further in my foot. The Canadian orthopedic surgeon would not listen to me. He spent 20seconds discussing my foot and spent the rest of the time complaining about the hospital, accused them of requesting unnecessary imaging and called them the worst money grabbers in the province.

I went to the USA for second opinion, the doctor ordered a CT scan diagnosed a lisfranc fracture dislocation.

I had to come back to Canada for treatment. Still waiting and appointment has been pushed back. Feels like this nightmare is never going to end

Are you in Ontario?  If so you NEED to get in touch with Dr. Pradeep Alexander at Brampton Civic Hospital.  He is a godsend and miracle worker.  Don't just take MY word for it, look him up on rate md.  He's amazing and so skilled.  My foot was an ORIF mess and just had it fused back in May.  I'm recovering, slowly, but I am very pleased so far.  I still have pain, but I'm only 5 1/2 months post-op.  This is an agonizing injury - you can't rush healing.  I really hope you're in Ontario so you can see him....

Thank you very much. I was told by WSIB they referred me to Dr. Alexander. I received paperwork in the mail and the letter indicates I am going to see Dr. Latham. There is a requisition to complete and it has Dr. Alexander's name on it. I will call next week and find out which doctor I am seeing. Paperwork is confusing with 2 doctors names on various letters and forms. My appointment has been pushed back. Hopefully it is not rescheduled again. Thanks again for the recommendation. I am worried because of the terrible experience I had with the orthopedic surgeon in my area who threw me under the bus. It is irresponsible not to do the CT scan that was recommended by the radiologist on a foot that has multiple fractures and a cloudy MRI!

Hi Lis Francers,

I was in a car accident way back in 1994 in Europe and when the cast came off, the bones had healed in my foot but my bones have never been in alignment. It always was an annoyance, but not painful. The foot always has felt not right but I have been able to do all activities. Now, fast forward to 2012, and it's been 18 years and now I am 43 years old and this foot is bothering me more and more every year. I went and saw a orthopedic foot surgeon here in Orlando and he said I really need the fusion surgery before I get much older, because it's going to bother me more and more and arthritis is going to set in soon, and as I age then it won't heal well. He says I have to do it now. Ugh, I was just wondering if anyone else has been in my situation and either "lived with it being imperfect but avoided the surgery" or "went ahead with the fusion surgery and this is what my experience has been". I hate to think of 10-12 months of surgery and recovery, but I also hate to not do the surgery now and regret it.

had lisfranc dislocation ,2nd,3rd, 4th from ladder fall at work(I work for a phone company).I had surgery 8/1, hard cast nwb 6 weeks, currently in boot fwb( in boot only) go back to doc in two weeks. My question is approximately how long will it be before I can climb a 24 foot ladder again that I'm required to at work? Ofcourse I will ask my doc when I see him in two weeks, but this is something I hadnt thought about before. My doc said I basically, broke my arch, and ladder climbing puts extreme load on the arch. I feel very  little  pain now in my boot and get some swelling later in the day as I'm on my feet. Climbing a ladder is a different story though and I am very worried because my company doesnt offer modified duty. The doc told me a may never run again ,but he also told me I would be nwb for 3-4 months and I was only nwb for 6weeks, he said he had to give me worst case scenario. Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi ofwgkta, you never know how long it will take to get back to "normal". I am almost 2 years post-injury and 5 surgeries in (two not on foot but related to my accident), and I am still not back to "normal". Running for me is certainly out of the question as well as anything that puts forward pressure on my foot. It's a very sad injury to have but having said that each case is specific and some are not as severe as others. Mine was very severe. You are going to have to gauge your recovery with every improvement. Don't get discouraged, though I'm sure you will at times. I have noticed plateau's with my recovery and you may as well. Since my fusion surgery in May of this year I have not surpassed my progress from ORIF that was done in November of 2010. I was more mobile before this fusion but I have to remember that I am only 5 and a half months post fusion so time will tell. I wish you luck with your recovery but don't try to rush it. I'm sure you have read how terrible this injury is so you're going to have to just go with it. Do physio, intensely. Good luck.

Hi ofwgkta,
I have a had same difference, Oct/9/2011
I broke the top part of my foot all
5 toes and my bog toe joint,bad bad bad injury,
I was nwb for almost 5 months
I need another surgery because mine didn't heal so I'm walking around with a train wreck of what used to be my foot.
Anyway until you do physical therapy dont go on a latter, I went on an 8 ft. One to trim tree's a couple months ago an where normally I would be lhanging off that thing, I was very unstable.. and it hurt my foot to stay on it so 24 ft. I'd be scared !!!
Aren't you on workmens comp through your job???
They can not fire you for not coming back yet it's against the law..
So take care of yourself and get better then go back .
I went back way to soon and regret it dearly!!
Take care Barbara

Hi there Lisfrancers

Just wanted to share my story, as I know I would have loved to have read something like this when I did my injury three years.

I did a lisfranc job on my first three metartarsals playing rugby. Very, very painful. I had surgery around one month later and six weeks of no weight bearing, followed by partial weight bearing.

Today, and for the last 18 months, I am back playing rugby again. My foot is not 100%, but it's pretty close, lets say about 95%. Getting it to there has probably been the biggest challenge of my life. I am pretty athletic normally - but I did everything possible to try and improve my outcome (bike riding, swimming, weights, cross training...and very importantly...stretching). Not to mention PT/physiotherapy/Osteo/Podiatry.

I appreciate that not everyone can expect a similar outcome. And if that's the case, my heart really goes out to you. BUT, the MAJORITY can beat this with perseverence. This doesn't have to be life changing. Stay positive, listen to your (good!) surgeon and work hard everyday (even when it hurts).

Good luck.

I had a car accident almost one year ago.  X-ray at the hospital showed nothing (they probably weren't looking for the right thing)?  Two months later I received a proper diagnosis, the dreaded lisfranc!!!!!!!  I read many message boards and became increasingly discouraged.  I am very active; running, skiing, cycling, swimming, walking, soccer with kids, etc...  This was extremely depressing for me!  I had surgery in February of 2012 and spent 8 weeks on crutches with another 4 weeks in a walking cast.  As I sit here 9 months post-op I just got home from a 10km run, it felt great!  I am 40 years old, my foot will probably not ever be 100%, it is shaped a bit differently from the other one but I am back to doing the things I love.  My advice is as soon as possible start working your foot.  I was at the gym 2 weeks after surgery doing some floor work, this was preparation for what I would be doing when the cast came off.  It is extremely important not to get depressed!  Work hard and believe, set realistic goals!  My calf muscle on my surgically repaired leg was 4 cm smaller in circumference than my good leg, they are almost the same now.  Things take time and A LOT of work, don't just do the physio and that's it.  Develop your own plan, make a recovery tool box and fill it with the things you need to get better.  My tool box includes; orthotics (not all the time), foot exercises, a jump rope, ice, swimming, stretching, and patience.  If you are reading this, don't get discouraged by all the negative posts, these people are looking for company in their own miserable lives!  Take control of yours and you can get better, the human body is very resilient!  Good-luck to you all.

Hi - I think we may be about the same place in our recovery and I'm curious how things are going for you? My story isn't very good, just tripped on a curb after my morning walk. Had surgery on 8/31 and nwb for 12 weeks. Just got the clear to begin weight bearing and PT. I'm surprised, although I guess I shouldn't be, that it still hurts. No pain in the boot but foot is painful and doesn't feel stable w/o the boot support. Are you experiencing the same?

Hi everyone, I've been reading lots of blogs and have subscribed to this one so thought I'd add my story. I stepped on a mat that was covering a hole (yes I know, ridiculous) on the 15th September, had an xray, diagnosed as a sprain, saw my physio 3 days post injury and he suspected a Lis Franc injury. It took some pushing but 2 weeks after the injury I had surgery and two screws inserted. I spent 7 weeks nwb, luckily I tracked down a knee scooter, there aren't many in NZ, and was so greatful for it as 7 weeks nwb on crutches with a 2 and 4 year old to look after was a challenging thought! I am now in a moonboot as of 10 days ago, and not using any aid, focusing on walking without a limp, and have started physio. Can get around without the boot but is painful to do it for too long and I'm not to keen to walk on the front of my foot, mostly the heel and side of it is where I put weight. I go back to see the surgeon in 3 weeks, and will be booked in to have the screws removed in about 2 months time. I read so many scary stories about this injury, I know I have a way to go, and have been told it will never be 100% and some days I will have pain, but I'm learning to be patient, and take it a day at a time. I'm determined to be able to at least go back to the long walks and pilates I used to do, I don't know when, but its a goal. This is such a horrible injury, but it has taught me that I am stronger than I thought, especially on the nwb days bathing my kids, putting them to bed, picking them up when they fell etc when hubby had to work late. I felt pretty proud that I could still do it all one-legged, although a challenge!! Take care everyone, wishing you all well with your recoveries.

Sounds like you are working hard! I can't imagine going through this with two little ones. I do have two boys but luckily a little older and self sufficient :) My youngest had actually just gotten his driving licenses which was a huge help for running errands and getting mom around!

I'm sure you have been told the same but PT keeps reminding me to try to not walk on my heel or side of foot because it puts more stress on those joints - easy for them to say! But with each step, I remind my self heel-toe.

Another thing that has helped me for the last few weeks is compression socks - I read on another blog about using them and have to say I get up in the morning and put them on for the day. I think they have helped a lot with reducing the swelling and keeping the circulation going. 

I know I've come a long way but it's frustrating to know how far I still have to go. I'm trying to focus on the positives and there have been many, family, friends, overall health. You certainly learn to appreciate the small things again.

Good luck and touch base if you have questions or concerns, I'm sure I'll be having the same questions

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Cheers Doug,
THAT'S exactly what I needed to hear...I'm 5 days post getting 3. ORIF screws out from rugby lisfranc fracture. Surgeon told me to not read blogs, but u know, curiosity. He's really happy with my progress and reckons I'm a month ahead of schedule for my injury but he's continually telling me to take it easy. I can't. I'm swimming, cycling and walking as much as I can which usually means I'm recovering each night with stiffness and pain but I give it a good stretch and seems ok once warm the next day... I love surfing and need to get back in the water soon so I push it a little which is why I think I'm progressing at a fast rate.
Great advise to always stay positive and get mobile sooner than later. I know it's helped me. Oh by the way I'm 34 and had surgery 17 Aug , I have full range of motion from pool work and stretching, weight bearing is no probs now and I view the next 3 months as vital for gaining strength to get back in the water..

dear sadmelissa, i am curious how you are now. after 2 years what has been your progosinos? My son had surgery thanksgiving day after a dirt bike injury and like you were, i am somewhat alarmed at what i have been reading.
thanks for your reply

I am a poster from long ago but came back due to my LisFranc never really healing. I had a crush accident all metatarsals on top crushed and toes dislocated with mid foot and had one of the "best " doctors in Baltimore fix it 5 years ago. I wanted to feel better too soon as most active ADD people might want. As I was sitting in one chair for 4 weeks I finally could not take it anymore. Felt like brink of suicide for an active person. I got my son to drive me to the pool and did laps with arms only. Anyway, I never could walk the same and running was definetly out. Walking sometimes would cause pain. I could only walk in Dansko or Mephisto shoes. I did ride a road bike as the shoe is stiff and can not flex. Over the years my foot started to hurt more and more and developed bad arthritis. I even started to get back pain that no one could diagnose. I really think that it was referred up from the foot but no doctor would understand that. That will be another post for another day. I finally went to a Pediatrist and had an MRI that confirmed chips and non union. I am now sitting in a boot with a contraption of external fixation on my foot as I am 4 days post surgery. I went in for fusion using bone graft from my heal and site with external fixation. I think that my advise to most would be that if the LisFranc is bad you should just have them fuse it with bone graft from the start. I met a women once who suffered a bad LisFranc and went un diagnosed and the foot fused on its own and she has not pain. The foot looks different and fuller in the top arch, but no pain. Dr. H

Hi ... not sure if this thread is still active.. but I had a lisfranc injury 9 months ago. dislocated all 5 MTs and 4 fractures on 2nd, 4th and 5th. I had ORIF with 4 plates and 13 screws. Reading through some of your stories I think I have it good.  Was a long road to recovery. Had my hardware removed Aug 2012 at surgeons recommendation. Only minimal pain now. I still have small movement and mobility issues of the foot.. Just stiffness and swelling and still limp slightly. Was never put on physio and am now wondering if it would have helped.. And I saw someone posting about shoes and my foot shape is very high on top now so cant wear pretty shoes either! I'm not really bothered but still hard to completely get on with my life! Grateful to have been able to return to an active lifestyle though. I was just wondering, in terms of arthritis, since I have been told I will almost definately develop it... for those who did get it how long out from injury were you? Anyways, I hope things are improving for you now.. sorry it has been so c**p! Esther :)

Hi estweeks, So sorry to hear that you've joined the lisfranc club! So, it is very lucky that you have healed well and you must be very grateful for that. I had ORIF the day of my injury and developed severe arthritis very soon after. It was debilitating. I have since had fusion of the joint and suffer pain still but I'm only 8 months post-fusion. I can not concretely say that you will develop arthritis but it seems probable. My fusion was done a year and a half after ORIF - very soon after. In terms of the "hump" I have that as well and many of us lisfrancers do. I still have all my plates and screws from fusion and I don't think they will ever be removed but who knows. Also, since fusing the joint other areas of my foot are taking the brunt of the lack of mobility so my 4th and 5th metatarsals are receiving most of the function and my ankle gets very sore and inflamed. I have read that this is typical, if you don't have movement in one area it transfers to where it can. In my honest opinion, I don't think I could have NOT done fusion. It was a major surgery with all the NWB and the physio (which really helped) but in the end, when I see videos of how I walked just 2 weeks before the fusion, and remembering exactly how I was feeling pain-wise, this was the only answer. I wish you luck in your journey. You will know if and when you need fusion. Arthritis is a mean beast and I don't wish it on anyone. Your foot will tell you.I hope this helps you a bit and I am hoping you stay active. Take care.