It's good to hear u we're pleased with him I have a very serious calcareous heel shatter and was referred to dr alexander because the two surgeons I have seen in 2 weeks can not do the surgery. I am praying I am as happy as you seem to be thanks for sharing SD

How are you feeling now fballer? It been 4 years. I would like to know because I use to play sport all the time. This lis frac injury suck. I just want this fracture to go away now. Please update this. Thanks. Long.

I had 3 screws & a plate put in my foot due to a lisfranc injury 2 months ago. I had displacement of other joints due to the injury. Can anyone advise how long the actual surgery procedure was for the removal? I'm having 2 screws & plate removed in September & just trying to find out what I can expect. Thank you.

HI SALTWATER,
So I am worried mother of a 17yr old very athletic son. He has recently been diagnosed with this lis franc injury. We, like you, were first told by one dr to do a fusion. We have have sought another opinion with an experienced foot dr and he suggest the ORIF. He suggest using the mini tight rope procedure. I was wondering how you were doing now that is 2015. Please let me know your thoughts. My heart is hurting so much as i read all these posts.

On 2/1/2015 my 15 year old daughter had both her feet folded up to her shins. Multiple fractures and lisfrank breaks. She sat down on a hipsled and it crashed down on her. The sled had 10 45# plates on it from a couple of classes before hers. It pinned her knees to her chest and folded her feet up to her shins. She was an athlete plus, under half a second off the school record for the hundred and jumped in basketball. She is 5'5" and 130# speed with spring, a natural longjumper. She is an undying optimist, even from her wheelchair. She had a Magna Cum Laude foot surgeon work on her, he stapled her bones and ran two bars in from the outside of each foot. He is the best around and that is the route he chose. Just giving you all treatment options. By the way I had a lisfrank break in my right foot and lied my way into the army a few years later. I was a combat medic in the infantry, they encourage you to walk around and carry a bit of weight and I made it through just fine. Pain is a myth, electrical messages to keep your body from injuring itself. Good luck, suck it up and drive on. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Just thought I'd chime in today. Finally.

2 years and 3 weeks out from injury snowboarding, displaced lf, ORIF, K wires out 5 weeks later (couldn't stand those) and hardware removed around week 12-14.

It's been 2 years since I was the happy recipient of a displaced lisfranc fracture while snowboarding at my home mountain of Vail, CO.

Was fortunate enough to get a CT immediately after the XR which were negative, CT showed multiple small fractures, torn lisfranc ligament, displacement. 1 week later ORIF, with reasonably good compliance on my part (had to weight bear and walk a little early, might have saved my life though). Had a fantastic local surgeon and good PT right as I became weight bearing. I had all 5 metatarsals temporarily fused and a mini-tightrope syntetic ligament installed to supplement the avulsed lisfranc ligament. Like I said, all hardware sans the tightrope was removed.

This has been a pretty stressful and painful experience from injury to today. That being said, I have been blessed to be able to snowboard again 7.5 months after my injury and 100 days over the past 2 seasons. This has given me hope.

That being said, i'm in pain sometimes, and it's a bummer. However, most of the time the foot almost feels normal. I have a feeling I'll always feel this injury, as I had hoped it would have subsided by now, but the flipside is I'm back to the sport that I love and have pursued for 25 years, and I didn't lose it as a result of this injury.

I don't read much on the internet about people's recoveries but with the new pain I had a couple of days go I had to go online and share a bit of my story. 

Good luck everybody!

It's been 2 months since your post, hope your son had the ORIF and is healing well. His best bet is to maintain his fitness and continue to be athletic through his recovery and into his adult years. Extra weight puts extra stress on the damaged foot.

I'm 2 years out with the mini tightrope and I snowboarded 100 days over the past 2 winter seasons. My foot is not perfect, but I feel so lucky to have my life back after this serious injury, and I'm your age not your son's...

Hi Ghn999, Sorry for the really late reply. Because of the bone fusion, i suffer from arthritis. I sometimes catch myself walking on the outside of my foot which messed up my posture and gait. I've been trying to correct that issue for some time now. I also suffered two herniated discs while trying to 'rehab' from the lisfranc injury. By rehab, i mean playing more football, basketball, frisbee, etc. Terrible decision!

I did find it a bit more challenging to run and exercise due to the arthritis. I try to ice it once in a while to bring the inflammation down. More recently, i've been trying to put more pressure on thee ball of my foot while walking. I'm hoping to strengthen the muscles around the bones. But I don't let the pain stop me. I still feel like i can play like i did 4-5 years ago :)

The weight has stayed consistent due to the foot pains and now the herniated discs, which went untreated for about 2.5 years. I'm still trying to work my way back up to becoming more healthier and stronger.

I hope your recovery is going well, ghn999!

This depends upon the type of fracture, if the dislocation is less than 2 mm, the fracture can be managed with casting for six weeks. I would like to say you that don't worry just go for right treatment and follow all the instructions given by the doctors.

Is there anything that can be done in the NWB phase to help make the PWB and FWB phases easier? Any exercises or potential dietary changes one can make? I'm 4 weeks post op and having a walking boot on though I am strictly NWB. I've tried to work out upper body two times a week and am spending times in the mornings and evenings rotating my ankles and scrunching my toes. I fear that all of this is for not though as I don't think this will help the ligament or bones heal.

BTW I suffered my injury by coming down on someone's shoe while playing basketball. I had surgery about 2 weeks later - ORIF with one plate and one screw. Complete lisfranc ligament rupture and a few non-displaced fractures.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

I have similar lis franc fracture on second and third metatarsal bones. I was just wondering how you are making out as I just got surgery done about a week ago. I want to know if I will be able yo return to my normal activities that include walking ( about 2 miles per day) and wearing high heels after recovery. Also has the surgery reduced chances of arthritis? Will I always be in pain from the fusion? Very stressed, can someone please answer? Thanks

I was just in a accident about a month ago. I have the lisfranc fracture and dislocation. I broke 4 toes in the middle of my foot and dislocated every bone. I had my surgery almost 2 weeks ago the placed 5 pins in my foot and also had to fix my damaged ligaments. I'm am very frightened that I will never be able to do my job as a CNA again as my surgeon told me after my surgery it was the worst he has seen and the lisfranc is his specialty. I pray for you as I see you struggle with this and I hope you start to get some relief from the pain.

Did your pain lessen after the screws came out or did it not make much of a difference with the pain level? I am same exact situation with considerate pain, but my screws are still in and I get a lot of pain with walking.

Get the Kneeling scooter - Drive. It is a LIFESAVER. Gives back a lot of the independence and mobility and independence you'll be missing. It also helped me to not create other physical problems because of the way people tend to lean on crutches .

Hi there! I'm five years out from having a lisfrac fracture. My injury acurred while walking my dog. I tripped over the smallest speed bump ever. After walking home( worst pain ever) my husband took me to the hospital to find out I would need surgery for my injury. I wasn't able to bare weight for the full 8 weeks. Let's just say. It was a long recovery. Two years later after months of begging my doctor I was able to get all three screws taken out. For a while I didn't have a any pain. Now I'm five years from my initial injury..2 kids later. I'm still having trouble with my foot. I'm still not able to run long distances unless I want to spend the next day icing and elevating my foot. For the past week my foot hurts even when there is no pressure on it. The next step for me is going to be fusion but I'm terrified it's only going to be worst or not help at all. frankly I'm not ready to be stuck on the couch for another 6-8 weeks. Has anyone found a stretch or workout that has strengthened their foot to reduce pain? I'll take any suggestions to avoid having another surgery.