A friend of mine gave me a bottle of argan oil. She bought herself a bottle and decided to get me one too to test whether I like it as a moisturizer. I've heard great things about using argan oil only for the skin so I am very excited about trying this product, but I have some questions. Is it okay to store this for longer periods of time? Will it go off? It comes in a brown plastic bottle that is quite bit. Do I need to keep it in the fridge or is it okay to keep it in the bathroom at room temperature? How long before I need to throw this out?

Thanks

I use Argan oil for a lot of different things - to moisturize my skin, on my dry hair, my hands, between my toes... I have been using it for about one and a half years now and I think it is the best thing since sliced bread even though this probably predates sliced bread. Although it is on the expensive side, I can really recommend it to everyone. It smells good, it feels good, and it makes your skin all nice. I store it in the bathroom cabinet in the dark and my bathroom is not heated, so it is basically like a fridge. This has been working well for me but if you don't have a cold bathroom like I do, just make sure you find a cool and dark place. I am sure that will work out fine.

That was very useful — thanks! So the trick is to store argan oil in a cool and dark place, and then it will be fine indefinitely, until the bottle runs out? I will try that. I don't have a cool bathroom like you do, but I do have a bathroom cabinet where light doesn't come in. Mmm... it sounds like quite a hassle to keep it in the fridge because I put all my skin products on in the bathroom, but it does look like it is a safer choice to store it coolly then. Thanks.

Don't worry too much! I have used argan oil in the past. As you said, it also came in a brown bottle. I never bothered to put it in the fridge and it isn't stored in a dark place either. I still have the same bottle a year on, because I only use it occasionally really, and then mostly for my hands, and I haven't noticed that it started smelling bad or looking different or anything like that. Olive oil doesn't go off either, does it? This is much the same in my mind. Just put it wherever and use as needed and no disasters will happen.

Hiya,

The general advice is definitely to find a cool and dark place. I did that when I was using it. I used it because I heard that this was a great natural product to use in the place of a normal moisturiser and stuck with it perhaps a month. I noticed though that it was not sinking into my skin properly at all so I had an oily layer and then still dry skin underneath. So needless to say, I stopped using it. Not saying it is not great for some folks 'cause obviously many people are very happy with it, but it does not work for everyone...

Celebrity

Hey,

I sometimes use argan oil instead of a face cream myself. I have dry and sensitive skin that flakes a lot, and I have honestly found that it works much better in combination with a thicker oil, such as jojoba oil. I like blackseed oil as well. Some people add castor oil for added thickness, but I am scared that this would discolor my skin, which happens to some people. 

I just place my oils in my bathroom cabinet and am done with them. I know that vitamin C serum has to be kept in the fridge, but never considered that for my argan oil. I would not worry about it too much to be honest. Sun exposure is the bigger problem, so just keep your oils in a darker place.

Rosie

Thank you! I myself don't prefer to put cold oils on my face and some oils start looking all weird when you put them in the fridge as well. I prefer oils at room temperature and would rather not have to run all the way to the fridge, which is nowhere near by bathroom, either. Knowing that you do this too without any problems I will just store my oils in the bathroom and be done with it. My bathroom hasn't got windows so just turning the lights off makes it dark in an instant. That should be okay, shouldn't it?