Hi!

I admit to having a huge organizational problem! Right now, I am storing my makeup and cosmetics products in my bathroom cabinets and on the built-in shelves, but they always become very messy very quickly, and are also not at all portable. 

I am looking to get more organized, storing my facial creams, exfoliators, and all facial products in one place, and products for the rest of the body in another. I also want a system for storing my makeup. 

Do you use bags or boxes? Can you share how exactly you organize your cosmetics, or even recommend specific organizing products? I want my home to look nice and minimalistic and to still be able to find everything easily. 

Celebrity

Hey,

Good question! I like to keep my products neat and well organized because I can't stand clutter everywhere. Some products, like castor oil and vitamin C, really do belong in the fridge, so that is where they go — in a neat box of their own, away from products meant for consumption. 

For the rest, I have two little chests with four drawers each, which a friend made for me. These sit in my bedroom, where I do my skincare routine after showering, at my vanity spot/work desk, where I also have a lighted mirror and access to natural light. 

This way, my cosmetics aren't seen unless I am using them and my space looks clean and tidy. 

Rosie

I keep my lotions and potions in a drawer. But they are in bottles and jars and packaging, you get the point, as well obviously. And that seems to work out just fine. I just have to remember to putt all my products back where they go after using them, which I don't always do, but then when it gets a little messy I just put them away.

I have them in a room where it is pretty cold anyway, I never heat that room, so that meets the old "store in cool and dark place" requirements on many of the natural oils. Mind you, jojoba oil and coconut oil can really go rock solid sometimes. Then I put them in a bit of hot water, in the jar, before applying them.

I like to use boxes a lot, they are really neat. I have a really nice box from Sephora to store your cosmetics. It has a lock so you can lock your makeup in, and has lots of sections. It is not very good for cream though. The box is mostly for makeup. I don't really like using bags. They are not so organized, with bags you have to go through them. I just don't really like bags too much.  I store my creams on my bathroom shelves, and I use that Sephora box for most of my makeup.  Those are the things I use for my cosmetics. 

Me? I'm a simple and practical gal — I use "Tupperware". Not the real brand Tupper wear, but even cuter pink containers with white polka dots on them. I keep everything sorted product by product, so makeup brushes all together, creams all together, eyeshadows altogether, you get the idea. I have seven labeled tubs all in all, excluding body lotion and bath/shower products, which I keep on a separate shelf, and the system is loose but works well for me, plus looks nice and organized as well. When I travel, I pick and choose so I only carry one (quite large) makeup/cosmetics bag and that works well for me too. It matches my carryon!

Thank you for all your answers!

The cute Tupperware appeals to both my frivolity (LOL) and wish to have things very well organized and easy to find. What it does not have is different compartments, which makeup cases do have. I like the idea of having a hard case, rather than a flexible fabric or leather bag, but with all the makeup and cosmetics I have, I would need at least four of those rather than just one! 

I think I want a proper vanity station. Does anyone have any recommendations for those perhaps? A desk with a mirror and storage space, that kind of thing?

Hello, for my makeup brushes I like to use a mason jar, because jars a pretty cheap. I really like how they look too.  I store my creams in an air tight container.  You should use, containers and then put your lipstick at the bottom. Then you could also put your other makeup at the top. I have a container from Sephora, and I think the Sephora things are really good.  Sometimes I use zip lock bags. They are really good for keeping things from drying out. You can also put your lipstick in there if you want. Zip lock bags are also really cheap.