Hi. I was with a girl. We didn`t have sex at all, we were just touching each other. After two weeks I have noticed a painful ulcer on my penis and my lymph glands are swollen. I was diagnosed with chancroid. I mean, is this even possible??? How common is it in the US?! We had no sex! Is this disease curable?

Hi. Chancroid is a STD, luckily curable. It is quite common in Africa and Asia, and these days it has become common in the US too. Chancroid can be transmitted through skin-to-skin contact. If you have contact with the fluid from the ulcers, you can get chancroid. The symptoms are painful ulcers (in men) and swollen lymph glands. Chancroid is treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics resolve symptoms. The time necessary for healing is up to the size of the ulcer – large ulcers need two weeks or more to heal. You can end up with scar, however.