I know that during periods of rapid weight gain, skin stretches to accommodate increased body volume. That is not happened with me. I have some weight gain but seemed my skin was not ready. I have stretch marks and now I want to get rid of those. I have tried creams, but this cannot work, and I think we all know this. That is why I was thinking about laser surgery for stretch marks, could you tell me about it.

Because skin is elastic, it will tolerate significant stretching over a short period, such as during pregnancy and it has not necessarily lead to stretch marks. At some point, the skin reaches a limit, and the deepest layer will tear instead of stretching further. When the deep layer tears, the overlying skin remains intact but appears thin and streaky, as it might be your case. These streaks are called stretch marks, and once stretch marks occur, they are permanent. Some physicians claim that lasers are effective in removing stretch marks. Anyway, I have to tell you that there is no evidence to support this. Most plastic surgeons think that lasers are ineffective in treating this problem, removing of stretch marks. Lasers are effective in removing, vaporizing, and breaking down tissues, but they do not generally repair tissues. Stretch marks represent torn tissue, so improvement should not be expected from laser treatment. Some clinical studies have shown no improvement in stretch marks after laser treatment.