Hello! I am a 24 years old girl and I have bit fit my whole life. Luckily I didn’t need to be on diets because I am naturally thin. However, I always took good care of my body and skin. The thing is that I would like to gain some muscles now, and start light weight lifting in a gym but I heard that there is a possibility of developing strech marks. How common is this in weight lifting?

Hi! It is very common to get these strechmarks. They develop when the skin is stretched because it damages the collagen fibers and proteins in the underlying skin layer. There isn’t a way to stop these stretch marks from forming and even some of the guy who lift have them. There are creams and lotions to use after but are not for prevention. Maybe, you could chose another activity like fitness or something where your skin won’t get that much stretched.

Stretch marks happen when the skin stretches too quickly, or beyond it's capacity.
Don't let fear of getting stretch marks prevent you from lifting weights- there are lots of benefits!
If, as a beginner, you begin a safe, progressive program which will increase your strength (and muscle size) slowly, you should not worry about your muscles growing more quickly than your skin can stretch.
Talk to a personal trainer about your concerns and they can set you on the right path!