Hello 

I have pit bull, she is almost four years old. She was always healthy, but lately, she is really nervous and she is biting her tail. I can see that she is in pain, and since I didn’t know what to do, my vet is on the vacation, I asked my friend Lorelai what is this about. She told me that my dog probably have some anal gland disease, and that she needs to be treat right now. I don’t know how, my vet is not here, and I don’t want to risk.Please, tell me what are the best treatments for anal gland disease in dogs?Thanks in advance! 

Hey. Don’t worry. Since you told us that your dog was never sick, that this is something that you deal with for the first time, I believe that this is not so dangerous. But, I am glad that you are trying to find the best way to help your dog. Now, I don’t know, but I would not treat this alone, if this is your first time. This is some procedure that your vet needs to show you. It is not easy, at all, but you need to see how to deal with it. I suggest you to find some other vet, because treating anal gland disease in dogs are not so hard, of course, if this is nothing serious, and I believe that it is not. 

This is unfortunately a pretty common problem among dogs. And I can tell you that problems with anal glands are so boring. They are not so serious, they can be easily treated, but they can be such a pain in the ass, both literally and figuratively.;) I wouldn’t recommend home treatments. They include cleaning the glands by yourself. But it is too complicated and might be very uncomfortable for the dog. Take him to some other vet, he will know the best what to do. 

And of course don’t panic, like I said, it usually isn’t dangerous at all. Good luck! 

It is not dangerous. I know that almost every pet owner had a problem with this dogs and anal gland disease, because, like they said on this side, this is really common problem with all dogs. If you don’t know how to treat it right, don’ do this alone, but this is not so dangerous. It is more like annoying and boring. You can clean glands alone, but I repeat, if you don’t have experience, let someone who has experience to do this.

The good thing is that everything will be just fine, so you don’t have reason to be worried so much. 

Hello guys.

As somebody above told you, anal gland disease is very common in dogs. This problem is painful for dogs but this is not serious so don’t be upset. Funny thing is that anal gland is not important for dog’s organism at all (because its only function is territory marking) but it is causing problems very often.

Fortunately, treatments of anal gland disease are pretty simple and it is a routine for almost every vet. Some treatments require removing the anal gland and some are not invasive as they require some medication and some “massages” from vet. Just go to the vet and he/she will see what is the best option for your dog.

I agree it’s not serious. I think it could be, if not treated. But that stands for almost any health related issue.

Your vet will provide him with the right treatment.  You could wait for him to come back, cause (from what you’ve told us) it’s not a serious condition, it can wait.

You can also start treatment on your own at home. It considers emptying your dog’s anal glands by yourself.  You can find all about it on the internet, or I can explain the process to you if you decide to do that. Just ask here. But you should know that it’s much more complicated than it sounds.

Hello.

You got yourself great answers here. Everything that others said is completely true. Anal gland problems are pretty common in dogs and they are easily treated as well.

Do you know when will your vet be back from his vacation? Although you can wait a little with treatment, my recommendation is that you find another vet if he’s not back in two weeks. The treatment is simple, so any vet can do it. There is no need for you pit bull to feel any more pain, right? And, if this happens anytime in future it would be a good idea to learn how to drain anal glands by yourself (if vet doesn’t remove them now).