My wife has been getting nauseus after eating dinner for nearly two months now. She has taken a pregnancy test, and tested negative (her periods are also normal).

Within 30 minutes or so after eating, she gets sick to her stomach and sometimes throws up a little. She describes the throwing up as food coming up her throat, without the stomach contractions associated with "normal" throwing up. When she does this only a little vomit comes up. Trying to make herself vomit is fruitless. She started Prilosec OTC several weeks ago, and says it may have helped slightly. She says it does not feel like heartburn, and the material she vomits is often thick and doesn't generally seem very acidic. The vomit looks and tastes like the food she ate - it is not green or yellow or anything like that.

This seems to happen more if she eats greasy foods and/or overeats. She is a school teacher, so she eats greasy lunches almost every day but doesn't get sick. She also can eat fast food for breakfast every day and not get sick. She says it feels almost as if the food is building up in her stomach throughout the day, and the dinner meal "pushes it over the limit". She is quite a bit overweight if that is relavant (~240 lbs on a 5'1" frame).

Does this sound like a stomach ailment, gall bladder, or something else? She has resisted going to the doctor, as aside from the nausea and minor vomiting she feels okay. There are no stomach cramps.

Thanks all :-)

Shane

Hi. I am so sorry to hear about your wife's discomfort/vomiting! Does she have any other symptoms? It could possibly be her gallbladder, but gallbladder problems usually have some sort of pain. Are her stools black or tarry? She could also have an ulcer. Either way, if this problem is persisting, she needs to be seen by a doctor just to make sure it is not anything dangerous. Good luck!

Jeannine

She hasn't noted any other symptoms. Today we had a large lunch, and sure enough she had food "coming back up" shortly after. This was not accompanied by nausea this time, though. It may be that she doesn't eat enough at breakfast/lunch to normally cause a problem. It definitely seems volume related, and if the food is "greasy", it seems worse (the nausea part). She'll probably see our family doctor later this week just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the input :-)

Shane

Hi Shane! Well I am glad that you are taking her to the doctors! My theory is Better safe than sorry!! Like I said, it could be acid reflux or gallbladder. I have severe acid reflux myself so I know how that is. Have your wife try to wait to go to bed after eating and sleep with her head elevated and see if that helps. Good luck!

Jeannine

I am going thru the exact the same thing as your wife. She describes it perfectly....the feeling like food builds up during the day and always after dinner about 15-30 minutes getting sick.

I have been to doctor after doctor about this, every single one also perscribed a Rx antacid which like your wife, did me little good if any.

I had one doctor suggest I had a "lazy gallblader" lol but was tested and showed no signed of gallblader problems.

I wish I had an answer for her, but perhaps it helps to know she is not alone in this.....I am miserable and am desprate to find an answer to this. I hope we both can someday.

So obviously what you read here is no substitute for seeing a doctor, particularly a GI specialist.... but that said, when you said what she bring up looks relatively undigested, I thought of something. Sometimes people have a pouch off their esophagus, and food can go down into it. It may come back up later, and because it never gets to the stomach, it doesn't get digested much or touch acid. It's called a diverticulum, and a radiologist can do some imaging to look for it.

Other than that, there are a couple other problems you can develop that are just in the esophagus (again, before the stomach) that might be causing the problem. Sometimes these things can develop complications, so it's always a good idea to go to a doc and have them take a look at you. Best of luck getting it worked out!

A Medical Student

I have been throwing up for more than 3 weeks now. At first I thought I had food poisoning because i had diarreha and nausea and i was dehydrated all the time. I went to the emergency because all that throwing up made my chest hurt and i had trouble swallowing food. they prescribed Protonix to me and said that i just had food poisoning and that I should let it run its course. After taking that medicine I felt better for maybe a day and then i was back to throwing up again. Now its gotten really bad. I throw up after EVERY meal I eat and I get back pains and stomach aches. I am having trouble sleeping and I am dizzy half of the time. I even throw up WATER. eating or drinking anything is making me sick.. can anyone tell me wat this could be?
Oh i even did a pregnancy test.. TWICE.. and it was negative. my periods are normal but I dont know whats wrong with me and it is really frustrating.. please help.

Hi i have found this myself. It has happened for a number of years now. Its seems it only happens to me in the evening though.

My Doc said dont worry about try an ant acid etc..

Tld him sysptoms, ie bringing up sometimes complete chunks of food etc!!

One thing you cld try is to try eating bigger meals in the day, ie eat like a king in the morning, Prince in the afternoon and a Pauper in the evening as it cld it to do with the Metabolism.

Is there any Chrones in the Family or Divoticulitus etc?!!! Wld be intereted to know if there are. Good Luck.

Anyone who experiences this problem might want to get tested for Celiac Disease (gluten intolerance), as well for other food intolerances or allergies. I had similar problems, and found after getting tested that I was both gluten and lactose intolerant. If, as in my case before I was diagnosed, you continually consume problem foods, it can be difficult to pinpoint a trigger.

One can also develop food allergies and intolerances later in life, so if you've never experienced problems before, it is still possible for the symptoms to be tied to a (newly developed or newly exacerbaed) food allergy.

Good luck, hope it gets better!

Hi all this sounds scarily familiar, i also get sick in the evenings very quickly after supper usually 15-20 mins after i eat, i get extreme nausea and usually diarehha follows quickly after, i also get hot and cold chills and its usually only late afternoon or supper meals. And it most frequently happens when we go out to eat. So i was wondering if it is the msg in the restaurant food or if it is some kind of food allergy or intolerance. I also had a stomach infection which was treated within the last six months, so im not sure if that is not completely cured or if that has anything to do with it.

My husband was coughing up food, and he would swallow an aspirin and half hour later he would cough up the entire aspirin. Turns out his throat had stretched and there was a little sack that collected food and then he would cough it up undigested later. He got surgery and it is fixed. Wish I could remember the name of the problem...they took an xray of his throat and the sack showed up.

I have also had exactly the same as your wife for 4 plus months. Everytime I eat I also feel more and more full throughout the day and the evening meal is the worst. I do approx 20 sick burps a day and once I felt so uncomfortable I vomited my complete meal. Sometimes I get really painfully bloated, also started getting uncomfortable ribs at the front like bruising. I went to my doctors who done a blood test and the test came back that I had slightly low kidney function of 55 (whatever that means) I had three more blood tests done and both came back with a slightly low function still 56 and 58. At least it was getting higher. The doc referred me for an ultrasound on my kidneys but nothing found. He has now referred me to a gastroentologist (dont know how to spell it) and take it from there. Hope your wife gets better soon and hopefully I will be cured soon too.

i am a 19 year old female, i had a baby 10months ago and ever since i was first pregnant i havent been able to eat a large or even a child's protion of food as i full up abnormally fast..sometimes after just one or two bites of something. for the last few months it has got worse tho..every time i eat anything now i feel really sick and even the thought, the smell and the look of food makes me feel even worse, 3 weeks ago i went to a restaurant for a meal with my family and i ordered myself just a starter for my whole meal as i knew i wouldnt be able to handle a full main course. i didnt manage to eat even half of my started before i felt really full up and sick and for the first time i actually was sick. after that night i felt ok again altho i still couldnt eat much. a week later my mum ask me if i was bulimic ( which i am not) as she's worried about me. i have been sick from eating 4 more times since that occasion and im starting to get really worried. i went to my GP and all he did ws prescribe me with iron tablets which have done no good at all. my nan looked up my symptoms online and she says i could have ovarian cancer, iv got a 10month old baby boy and im terrified that she's right. i am terrified of going back to the doctors as i have a major phobia to needles and cant go through all the tests. i dont know what to do. i am also very stressed as im alone with my son most days and am also in quite a lot of debt at the moment. on the whole i have probably been depressed for the last year, could that maybe have anything to do with my problem with food..i need to be reassured that ovarian cancer isnt the only thing that this could be. i dont want to leave my son, i wanna se him grow up. please help me.

I suffer this condition too, I've had it for around 3 years now.
but never thought to consult my GP about it, It started of as constant heart burn, but when that subsided I was left with "bringing back" my food.
It happens after every meal and will continue for a good 4 or 5 hours after eating... and even then its in no way acidic... literally is like it was swallowed.

A friend recommended taking gaviscon (anti acid stuff) but now I find that does nothing either.

Am I to take from this, that it is actually something to look into?
Im only 24 now and dont want this to be a perminant condition, it's extremely unpleasant?

My stool (god this is embarrasing) is also becoming extremely tar like didnt think it was related but seen it mentioned in a previous post.

Any advice is a blessing.
Thanks

I get this too, and i've always been quite curious as to what it is, i normally only have after eating large meals for example, if we have dominos pizza for dinner or fish & Chips, i will eat it and then afterwards all of a suddent i feel all bloated and as though the food is stuck and before you know it i am regurgitating the undigested food.

I haven't consulted a doctor, as i have health anxiety and am a mixture of worried about what he could tell me and also trying to think things through more logically as opposed to running to the doctors constantly.

But it really is nice to know other people have this also

Debs