Hi
i am a bit puzzled by my weight loss, now !About three years ago i stopped having contraceptive injection Depo provera as i was putting on a lot of weight and i reached just under 22 stone (i am 5ft 10 in)I did not diet or exercise as i found it difficult to diet ,However to my delight my weight started going down without doing any diet or exercise and last year i reached 19 13 LBs,Which was very good considering i did weigh 22 stone and was not dieting or execising,so it did seem a very good move comeing off depo provera as it is known for causing a lot of weight gain ,Now i am really puzzled !over the last year i was delighted to feel that my weight was still comeing off and my clothes were getting a lot looser on me and i found a jacket i could not put on last month i am now able to get into and work colleagues and family say i look a lot thinner!I dident weigh myself for a long time .However i did decide to weigh myself last week thinking going by the looseness of my clothes i would have lost quite a bit of weight, and that comeing of Depo provera had improved my metabolism Imagine my dissapointment when i got on scales i found i weighted 19stone 12lbs.Only one pound less than my lowest recorded weight nearly a year ago but going by my clothes i felt like i had lost a lot more.I felt my skirt getting even looser and i though oh well perhaps some more come off,but that is clearly not the case as scales only show a 1 lb loss ! though i am clearly a lot thinner than i was last year as my clothes getting very much more loooser and everyone tells me they can see i am a lot thiner both in my body and face.but scales not reflecting this weight change! very strange,I know i am very lucky to loose inches especially given the fact i am not dieting or exercising but really puzzled i am so much thinner but scales only now showing a 1 lb loss!I know you can loose inches and not weight when you exercise a lot and build muscle as muscle tissue a lot heavier,But i dont exercise and have not built muscle,i hate execise! even though i know i should! wondered if anyone else had experienced this strange phenonmen? or had any ideas as to why this is happening that i am loosing all this weight in inches but scales not reflecting this? It is not my imagination either or dodgy scales as i used the same reliable pay as you go scale that are in the same chemist shop and the same ones i weighed myslf on last year and the nurse at a leg clinic i go too also said i looked thinner and noticed my leg size for support hoisery had gone down to a lower size as wellAlso other ordinary scales tell me i am the same weight, as last year as wellOver the last month i have noticed a huge difference and that over last month i can get into skirts and clothes i previously could not get very comfortably in and work colleagues say i look like i lost some more weight this month even though my weight nearly the same as last year just about 1 lb to 2 1bs different!i find it very weird

Hi and Congratulations!!! I had something similar several years ago. Even though you say your not exercising, you are probably moving more, by that I mean able to walk around more - going shopping, out with friends, going out in general, perhaps moving more in the house such as more cleaning, vacuuming etc. It is amazing how much more you move around than when you were heavier. It isn't concious that you are doing it, but obviously you feel better, your not so down on yourself etc. So that in instelf, will lead you to loose more weight, but yet contribute to being more muscular!,, which leads to more weight loss etc. Also I found that when it happened to me, the weight shifted around a lot. I lost it in my face, and upper body, but not so much in my bum and hips! So that could be it as well, it is just moving around and the first place people notice it is in your face. You wont, you will notice it in the clothes you put on. And the way I see it, if you have lost 3 stone without trying, can you imagine what you could loose if you went for it?!! I envy you! I wish I could loose the weight like that, but I know there is a long road ahead of me and sometimes that is so daunting it puts me off trying. All I can say is - "GO GET HER!!!" Go and do it for all of us that aren't able or there yet - metnally that is. Even though you have lost 40 odd pounds, I think if you lost another 40 you would feel amazing. I know I did! And that's when I put my mind to it and got off my bum and took control of my life. Good luck to you! And keep on going! :-D

Hi!
Thanks for your input and saying you had something similar happening to you,I suppose as you say i should be glad that it is comeing off even if not showing much on scales,and that i can wear my clothes more comfortably and get into others ones that i was previously unable to wear,I do feel very lucky and like i have been given a fantastic gift having this improvred meatabolism and that i am droppping dress sizes without any changeto my life style apart from stopping Depo Provera,especially as before this i used to have the sort of metabolism where i just used to look at a cake and i would gain 7lb in weight! My husband is a bit worried about me dieting in case i revert my metabolism back to the old one where i put on weight at the slighest glimpse of a bar of chocolate!It might lower my new vastly improved metabolism if i go on a diet as low calorie diets do have the flip side of sometimes lowing BMR and while i can get away with looseing weight not dieting and exercising i might as well make the most of it! LOl.If the weight stops comeing off eventually i will at least find it more encouraging to diet when ive reached a lower more comfortable weight.I suppose i ought to use a tape measure more instead of scales to moiniter changes in weight.

Oh definitely, I was doing aerobics 4 times a week, I lost only 20 lbs, but could fit in sizes 3 - 4 times smaller which basically works out to 40 lbs. I aways look at my clothes not at the scale. The scale goes up, your heart goes down and vica versa! Its not so much your metabolism that has changed, it is your outlook. If you think about it! I'm not talking about ANYTHING radical, especially DIEting! It doesn't work, the only thing that does work is using more calories than your taking in! PERIOD no other form, that's why when you go on radical diets, you loose quickly - usually water, but it all comes back and more right? Don't worry about what might happen, because if you think that way you might as well also think "HEH I could end up being like Kate Moss!" ;-) Everyone plateaus, its just the body saying "WAIT A MINUTE!!!" Your trying to shrink me aren't you?! ;-) So good luck with being a "loser!!" ;-) And keep on you journey. Best of luck!

Only thing is i am having a lot of stress in my life at moment so that i cant face a diet or execise regime at moment either.So as comeing off depo has given my metabolsm such a kick at the moment where i can drink as much as i like and eat all the naughty foods and act like a sloth!and still not put an ounce on at moment and have the added bonus of keep looseing inches! i feel a bit like a kid who has been let lose in a sweet shop!LOL and just want to enjoy it while i can as no doubt this metabolism will eventually revert back to the old one where looking at a cream cake i put on a stone!so i am going to cash in in this fantastic new metabolis while it lasts!

At the moment i am under a lot of stress so can not face a diet or exercise regime at moment,But i am so delighted that comeing of Dep provera has given my metabolism such a big kick!I feel a bit like a kid who has been let loose in a sweet shop! LOL especially as i used to have the metabolism where i just looked at a cream bun and i gained a stone! Now i can eat all the bad foods i like and live like a sloth and not gain an ounce and in addition carry on loosesing inches and drop dress sizes,so at moment as dieting would make me feel very miserable with all my problems i just want to cash in on my wonderful new metabolism while i can! as i expect it will eventually revert to the old one where i gained a stone from just eating a bar of chocolate!I wish id come off Depo Provera years ago! It certainly made me more aware what effects these hormonal method of contaception have on our bodies!

Hi Bambi
Congratulations on managing to drop a few dres sizes too! I know if you exercise a lot you gain muscle tissue which is a lot more healthier than fat and can mask your actual weight loss! so even though you say you only dropped 20lb you probably lost a lot more fat than that just if you exercise doing aerobics you build up a of muscle which weighs heavier than fat but looks nice and is healthy unlike me who in spite of my improved metabolism is still a mass of flab im afraid! but maybe if i loose a bit more weight and my problems resolved i might feel more motivated to exercise.Plus i have been told i am a bit deficient in iron that makes it more uncomfortable if i exert myself and makes exrecise an ordeal for me

Don't get drawn into this metabolism thing OK? You might be able to eat like a raving loonatic right now, doesn't mean that it wont catch up with you. I remember once just downing 2 Dairy Milk Chocolate Bars! Which as we know are the best! And a couple of Cadbury Chocolate Eggs - which is disgusting they don't sell them all year!!!! ;-) - and I kept cheking the scale to see whn that would end up on my bum!!! It didn't for 2 weeks, then WHAM!!! There it was a huge lump, almost looking like melted chocolate in an egg mold!!!! XD o.O Right there on my left bum cheek!!! So one of these days - if you keep eating like it's your last meal!! - you will end up with cheesburger and chocolate bar mounds of fat on you. And you will have to work twice as hard to get it off. No diets, just watch it. Or soon you will be on TV being lifted out by a crane onto a flatbed truck, headed to the hospital, with Richard Simmons crying in the back ground LOL XD ;-)