I just ate and was about to take a nap, but several of the replies got my ire up and thus woke me up!

This person's sleepiness is not normal--he or she wouldn't have come here if it was the old "I ate too many carbs at Thanksgiving and now I want to nap" phenomenon.

People who think that they understand often don't. Or they make assumptions about the person's diet or lifestyle and then suggest pat solutions without asking any questions.

For instance, one person's solution that they switched from eating a meat-based sandwich to some tofu-based food helped. The tofu would put me to sleep so don't listen to everything you hear because what works for one person will not work for another. Tofu is a highly suspicious food. The phytates in soy make it difficult to digest, often robbing the body of minerals. In some people, for instance my housemate, it causes bleeding of the stomach. Others suffer joint pain.

One thing I hear some vegetarians claim is that they feel better now that they are a vegetarian. I have known a number of very tired vegetarians, which is why I am not one. I experimented with it in my youth for moral reasons--and yes I eat a very good diet--but frankly I felt worse doing all that food combining to get enough protein. I'm only mentioning this because guest tried to subtly steer you towards vegetarianism. That's called an agenda. I don't have any agenda and I will be more direct.

I tend to eat a lot of fruits and veges and meat and lay low on the carbs, though I do eat carbs, just sensibly and moderately, choosing very carefully what I eat. I met a very old healthy woman who was in her 90s and I asked her what she ate during the course of her life and she said everything. The longest lived people in the world are not vegetarians, by the way. The live in Okinawa, Sweden, Andora and one other region near the Indies--I would have to look it up again. As for the adage that vegetarians live longer, well up to a point they do, but after the age of 70 it evens out with meat eaters and vegetarians being about equal. If vegetarians live longer it's probably because in general they eat more fruits and vegetables than the average person does in the present day. But I have met vegetarians who for moral reasons have chosen that lifestyle, who eat terribly.

Anyway, back to tiredness after meals. I know exactly what you are talking about because I suffer from this kind of tiredness after meals, even the slightest amount of food can induce it. In my case, menopause, which has been rough on my adrenals has induced it. Up until menopause I was a very energetic person and still am, but meals put me to sleep, though I have to say if I can ride it out the tiredness tends to go away after about a half hour.

But I would not presume that this person is menopausal anymore than I would presume they were a duck that had wandered onto this site looking for a vegetarian to rescue it from the hands of meat-eater. For all we know you could have that flu that went around recently which everyone calls the tiredness flu. It lasts about three weeks and you think you have mono.

I am not a doctor or a alternative practitioner and I have not met you. There are so many things that can cause fatigue and I am sure there are all kinds of reasons why a person might feel fatigue after meals--reasons we are all familiar with and ones we are not.

What amazes me that really no one discussed adrenals--I think guest mentioned it in passing. Adrenals can be a huge factor. But so can blood sugar, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies, diet, exercise, allergies, chemical pollutants and even boredom. You ever been to a family get together where people are just sitting around talking small talk after a meal and it is as if all the air has gone out of the room and you want to find some bed to lie down on? I mean you just feel so intensely tired. People who are into bioenergetics would say there were energy vampires in the room...but that is another story. But I would no more suggest that you are bored with your wive(s) or kids or job than I would suggest you eat tofu.

A very athletic person who eats consciously can get low adrenals. It's common in otherwise healthy menopausal women who never suffer any other symptoms at all such as hot flashes and night sweats. Menopause taxes the adrenals because the body uses adrenaline to replace estrogen. There is no way around it except to replace the estrogen, but that can raise other problems. There is often a adrenaline surge in the middle of the night when already low estrogen levels drop dramatically. But maybe you are not a woman. But dammit you ought to be so I can inflict my health plan on you. Become a woman! Now.

Okay enough of my silliness. There can be other causes of low adrenals such as being very athletic and burning fat. So the "you are not getting enough exercise theory" doesn't always apply--very athletic people can get adrenal exhaustion and feel fatigued. It makes me feel exhausted just hearing people tell me that I may not be getting enough exercise when I do. Sometimes I want to belt them, but I am a pacifist--probably the meat I eat makes me feel like belting them. If I were a vegetarian I wouldn't have these impulses! Ha! I'd probably be more pacifist-aggressive and prosyletize--subtly, of course.

Another cause of low adrenals can be from dieting and weight loss (the "you are eating too much food or too many carbs" theory doesn't always apply because burning fat taxes the adrenals, though I tend to agree that we eat too many carbs here in America and they can induce some slight sleepiness. So eating too few carbs can actually cause adrenal exhaustion. Diet means your body goes to work on its fat reserves. This makes you produce and use more adrenaline and you get low adrenals.

I'd say burn your copy of the old food pyramid, which was carb-heavy and find the book the Ecology Diet, which has the most sensible recommendations in terms of food portions that I have come across. And no, it doesn't recommend that you give up meat or for that matter carbs. Hmmm that 90 year old may have had it right she ate everything. Except perhaps tofu...)

Anyone who has ever had low adrenals has often noticed tiredness early in the day, with increasing energy toward the end of the day, often feeling intensely energetic after midnight and unable to sleep. This can wreak havoc with health, with jobs with everything. So you might note the time of day when your energy is highest. If it is higher in the evening it may be adrenals. Or maybe you are a night owl by nature and it is irrelevant. But when you see a doctor he or she is going to ask you--if he or she is doing his or her job--if you notice increasing energy in the evening.

I encourage you to go get a number of tests done: allergies, adrenal function, thyroid, etc. You might want to note in deference to the allergy theory if you feel more tired after eating some foods. Soy products make me intensely tired--this was the case before menopause, but in someone else there might not be any reaction. My father experiences this too. If we eat anything with soy in it we doze off. We are probably allergic to it because one of the signs of food allergies is tiredness or fatigue after eating an allergen.

Who would have thunk? And it is so interesting how everyone is touting soy as the menopausal woman's friend. Jeez if I followed that dietary advice I would be positively catatonic by now. So I guess I am not going to eat that beef guest advised against...boy I am sure bashing this poor person. I must stop it right this instant.

I'd advise charting what you eat and noticing if there any patterns and doing the pulse test. Some people experience a racing pulse within 30 minutes of eating a food they are allergic to. You may not feel your heart racing, but you may notice it in your pulse. The thing is it is free. You can do a lot of prelimary work for allergies if you think you have an allergy.

I don't know what I would do if I had a day job and couldn't take a short nap when the tiredness is very severe. I am trying not to nap and am replacing the urge to sleep with gentle yoga. I tend to eat more often and lighter meals now, of course staying away from too many carbs and sugar and making sure I eat enough protein. When the tiredness hits I do gentle yoga--the sun salutation-- for about ten minutes. It seems to help revitalize me. I do this about 3-5 times a day. In my case I think it works because I have a tendency not to breathe deeply when I am working and sitting there after a meal with my low adrenal problem all combine to make me sleepy. I often think gentle solutions are sometimes what it takes. A nice gentle walk after eating, for instance? Who says you have to go down to the gym and kill yourself on some cardio machine?

I hope you find out what is wrong and get it resolved. Take care of yourself. One other thing you might look into some nutritional support. I just read that pantothenic acid is good for fatigue. I bet this is true whether it's from this or that or the other. I looked for foods that are high in it and avocados have a lot. I have noticed some improvement with eating avocados, but lordy lordy the old anti-cholesterol league is probably going to hunt me down and pummel me for not pushing soy margarine on you.