Hello everybody, I have decided to adopt a cat. This is a big step for me because I have never had any in my whole life. As a dog lover and proud owner, I learnt what is best for them and what food to give them, but I don’t have much experience with cats. My ex girlfriend told me that the best possible nutrition for cats definitely is low carb and high protein foods. Sounds reasonable, as that diet is good for everybody, really, but I would like to know how does it work with cats, do you have any experience?

Hi, personally I can’t give you all that much experienced advice as I have only just started my cat on this diet myself! A neighbour of mine has 3 cats, and she’s passionate about them (aren’t we all?!) and she strongly recommended a low carb/high protein diet. And even though I have only been giving my cat this type of diet for a couple of weeks, I must admit she seems to love it and seems a little more active! She was a happy cat anyway, but I can sense a little difference already. My neighbour tells me that this diet is a little more natural for a cat, and I think I agree given the slight difference I see so far in my cat.

Hey. I would recommend a low carb high protein foods for your cat as well. Still, whatever you do, don’t do it without opinion of your cat’s vet. Actually, this diet can be beneficial to the point that their blood glucose stabilizes and insulin injections can become unnecessary, which is good. Cats that are diabetic usually are on this type of eating, but still that doesn’t mean that your cat can eat according to this rules as well. Now, because there are two sides of every story, you should always consult the vet about this, but I don’t think that this can be harmful. 

It is totally reasonable and it is really great thing to do. I think that you cat will be much healthier. It is mostly for diabetic pets, but I think that it can be harmful. I never had a cat. But my fiend has one, for four years now. She started to feed her with low carb high protein foods, and her cat is really good and healthy. I think that she would never change that way of eating for her. That means that she feeds her cat with dry food, but I think that this is the best – at least, I think so :)

I am so glad to hear that you finally decided to adopt a cat! Congratulations, you will be so happy with her or him :)Definitely, the bigger part of their meals should be proteins. When they are kittens, it helps them develop and grow better, and later it greatly benefits their health. Even before, when I wasn't aware of that, I have been feeding my cats like that, but now I truly stick to that, when the vet told us to do so. So, enjoy with your new family member, give him / her a lot of milk and meat and most of all - loveee :)

Hey. I have a cat, as you already know. I never had any problems and I am feeding her with low carb high protein foods. I did his after consulting with the vet. From the beginning you should be really careful what your cat eats. You need to feed her at the best possible way because she needs to grow and to be healthy. We all know that cats are not carnivores and that they must eat meat to survive, because cats cannot be vegetarians and they need to consume animal – based proteins from meat. Once you learn this, everything else will be a piece of cake :)

I don’t have a cat but let me put in my two cents when it comes to this.This type of diet is desirable even for humans. Both cats and dogs should be being fed this way.This type of diet naturally regulates body weight. It increases body mass, or to be more precise, muscle mass. Also proteins are not as hard for the digestive system as carbs are. 

Carbs can be very heavy  and it is recommended for everyone to avoid them. Or if you can’t really avoid them, make sure you don’t combine both proteins and carbs in the meals you prepare for your cat.

Hello.

I have read about the study which was conducted three or four years ago. The conclusion is that cats will choose high-protein food over high-carb food every time; even if you give them bigger amount of high-carb food!

The second interesting observation was when the cats were restricted to high-carb food only, they did not eat enough of it to reach targeted intake of essential proteins.

The last, but not the least, scientists discovered that cats get the most of calories from proteins and the least from carbs.

So, we all got our answer, high-protein foods are better for cats. They know that instinctively.