Guest wrote:

eddymd wrote:

my 17 year old son died 3 weeks ago from mixing opiates and xanax, just like the rest of you dummies. Please, do yourself and your friends/families a favor and get some help.

I understand you're upset, but you have no right to judge. I find it very degrading of you to refer to us users as "dummies."

"DUMMIES"? I have been taking methadone for almost a year and was prescribed Klonipin (a benzo very similar to xanax) before I ever started taking methadone. I have not even come close to overdosing. I take both prescriptions excatly as directed by my doctors and both doctors know about each other. I'm pretty sure neither of my doctors are "dummies". My life has improved 300% since I've been on methadone. TAKE MEDS AS PRESCRIBED!!!!! Don't let people like this affect how you look at yourself. If you are reading this I'm pretty sure you are not dead and therefore not "dummies".

Im very sorry for your loss, I cant even imagine the pain you must be going through. Please dont start labeling people dummies for taking their medications that are prescribed to them. Its an unfortunate that youve had the experience youve had, and people do need to use extreme caution while using methadone or any opiate with an added benzo, since they both are CNS depressants. But these medicines when taken correctly and not abused can benefit many people, I know at one point when I was on methadone, I was also prescribed librium, then switched to valium, along with taking clonidine for my hypertension and also to help with opiate withdrawls. Im now on suboxone and almost done with it, without these medications Id probably be still abusing oxycontin and cocaine, and any other drugs I could get my hands on. When people are on these medications they need to be taken with caution, and should be monitored by the doctor or someone who is helping in the support factor of someones recovery. Make no mistake, calling people "dummies" just because your son I assume was abusing the medication or not monitored correctly is just wrong. Once again I hate to sound so critical but its the truth, when a child is prescribed methadone and xanax the parents should be administering the doses on a daily basis, never should it be left to a child who I assume had prior addiction problems. Im sorry for your loss, but you would do better by raising awareness for the caution that is needed when taking both medications, not putting down those who lives have been bettered and addictions that have been regulated. I wish you all the best, and Im truly sorry for your loss.

I have been on 200 mg of methadone and 4mg of xanax a day since i was 21, im now almost 28. the only time i overdosed was when i drank a pint of scotch with the medications, i go to a methadone clinic, they u.a. me once a week and they make sure my benzodiazapine (xanax or alprazolam) levels are not to high. one time they were, they cut me from 200 to 143mg methadone in one day, i had the most horrifying terible withdralw symptoms anybody could imagine!!! after day nine, i ask a couple people if they could help me, i used heroin intervenious for 2 weeks, that was the first time i let anyone stick i needle in my arm, very degrading, but it felt soooo good. drug addiction is a disease, we are not dummies, and most likely we have prob seen more people o.d. than u, when i was 20 i wached my father stick a mixture of heroin and cocain in is arm. within 3 min he was dead in my arms. t.j washington state

Since I was 12 I was a drug addict. I am now 23 and been sober for some time. Towards the end of my addiction I was doing many oc's and dope. Also about 30 xanax a day, with never any real physical threat. On arrival to my last detox I took about 60mg of methadone and about 15 xanax. By the time I checked in my breathing stopped and had to be put on oxygen. The two drugs are not a smart mixture, not that many are.

HI my name is rere my sister just lost her life by trying to cure her self by using methadone she was only 28 she had a twin sister and two other sister with three beautiful kids if your adrug user please try to get help dont do it your self its not worth it think about all the peole who loves you .

i have been prescribed 1 mg xanas and 15 mg er morpjine, and I have been on norco 10-325 for 5 tears, i cant function when I talke all of my meds at the same time. when i do i forget things and its getting old. It makes me wonder why a doctor would do such a thing. I have two doctors and they know about both scripts, to anyone who is doinf this be carefl there are so many things that could happen. no matter how many doctors you tell they dont always listen and check to make sure what you are taking.

has anyone else counted their pills when they go to the pharmacy, mine are always short and when i call or go back up there they act like i want more pills. I get 240noco 60 zxanax and 60 morpheine, but they are always short, any ideas because calling them does no good. they act like i just want more. and im sick of the pharmasist trying to be the doctor and telling me that i shouldnt take them. I have a valid disease ms and i hate that they think they are all mighty, when i think they are not used to having people count their pills. just a suggestion count them before you walk out the door, because if i dont have them someone is getting them. and since i have no company, friends, and a husband that is hom once a week i guess the pill fairy took them

My brother mixed Monday night and never woke up. Please, please don't mix drugs. He thought he knew what he was doing. He was 37 and had struggled with addiction for 20 years. He left a wife and a nine year old son. I hope his death will not be for nothing. If just one person reads this and learns.

I was hooked on vikes and oxy's now i got on methadone to help me stop taking them. I feel better but it feels good just to mix one maby 1 1/2 but thats it you cant be taking like 5 or six xanax with the methadone. You can take 5 or six just alone. Methadone can f**k you up if your not careful

got 4x30oxy codone today, then later got an 80 oxycontin, got a script to xanax (weak dose tho, only qrt mg's but got 90 of em so hey).
i got 1.5 30's, a qrt of the 80, and 87 of the xaniz left. been doin the xani oxy combo for a while now. and the dude i get the oxy from is also perscribed xani from his doc who writes the oxy too. the only way this becomes life threatening is if you mix alcohol or methos and you gotta keep the doses down.

Mixing benzos and methadone is a well-known way to OD. It is especially dangerous.

Mixing methadone and other opiates is also pointless, because the methadone is going to block the euphoria from the other opiate you're using.

Avoid mixing benzos and methadone, and if you must, then take it very slowly. Remember, both Xanax and methadone have a very LONG HALF LIFE. So, two doses taken 24 hours apart will actually BUILD on top of one another.

Also remember that when dealing with methadone, it takes 4 hours for the effects of your dose to be fully felt when taken orally, so you can OD and not even know for 3+ hours later.

check this out I've been on methadone four years and tried mixing benzo's(klonopins,xanax,and clonodines) it took almost 6 months to start feeling normal .I had lost 60 lbs. in the process after stop taking the pills ,now my dosage of methadone has been decreased 40 mg and life is getting better as far my benzo addiction is gone .Believe this if you do not get help you will not be reading stories like mines,good luck and god bless you.

aunt just took methadone and xanax and overdosed, husband came home early, she was barely breathing. she's alive, but dealing now with what the heart attack during cpr did to her and her liver shut down. very sad.

I am on a methadone program taking 90 mgs a day my mother took all the over the counter sleep medicine and offered me her xanax I wasn't sure about the side effects. I see all around the clinic not to mix them. I have taken xanex I don't like the way it makes me feel. I just fall asleep. Anyways if it wasnt for this forrum I would have taken them and posibly killed myself by accident. My best friend mixes them all the time and says he is used to it and has a tolerance anyways thanks for posting those who did. I will try to fall asleep the old fashioned way!!

Taking benzos with methadone is a very, very bad idea if you are going to take more than a considerably low dose of xanax, valium etc...im on 110 mg meth, several months ago while in the depths of my addiction i was mixing xanny bars with my meth dose. I suffer from severe anxiety, so have always enjoyed the theraputic relaxing effect that taking benzodizapines gives me. However, i made the mistake of taking a SERIOUSLY high dose of the xannys, approx 20-26 mgs. How I am still alive is beyond me...needless to say i had the wake up call I deperately needed, consisting of blacking out, waking up in jail with multiple charges and being stuck for ten days to detox cold turkey (seizures, high bp, nearly suffering a stroke) w/o the jail medical staff giving a flying f*** whether i lived or died. Mixing benzos and methadone is bad news if you tend to abuse either...be VERY, VERY careful.