im so glad i found this site/post. i've read all the comments and i'm at least happy to know i am not alone. i've had mirena for 6mos now and have been spotting ever since. I now know when im actually having a real period...it will be alittle heavier. This brownish discharge is ruining my self-esteem and sex life. i dont even want my husband to touch me down there because im not sure if the "juices" are of the natural arousement or from the nasty discharge. i had twins back in May and I DO NOT WANT anymore children. i've been on the pill since i was a teenager and I am strongly considering going back to the pill and taking the mirena out. If the mirena thins out the uterus lining...well that isnt normal. i'd rather pop a pill with a lil extra hormones in it, than thin out my uterus lining and go with a discharge all day, everyday.
i want to thank everyone for sharing their experience...it has helped me with my decision....im going with the pill and a prayer. 8-|

Had the mirena fitted on 4th November 2010 as I have always suffered with heavy periods since I was 14 (now 33) and have been on the pill all my life, when the Mirena was recommended and they explained that my periods could pretty much stop, done some research and seemed to be really good reviews (obviously not typed the right words in the search engine) - since then have had the brownish discharge everyday, some days have fresh bleeding. Every day feels like I have cramping but I also seem to get odd days where I get sharp stabbing pains like the coil has moved and is stuck somewhere it shouldnt be, three days ago the sharp pains were so bad my husband was looking to take me to A & E. then today out of the blue had a sudden heavy bleed then within an hour it stopped, no clotting

I have been sooo tired since, I also find that I have to wee a lot more than I did before. Also like others have said due to the constant discharge/bleeding I have also gone off sex, I only got married in July this year and think that it is now starting to have an effect on my relationship. My husband is very understanding but obviously is getting fustrated himself.

I also suffer with an underactive Thyroid, they are still trying to get my throxine levels right, so I am suffering with my weight already, now I constantly feel bloated and uncomfortable.

It is helpful reading that other people are also suffering like I am. I know they said that it could take upto 6 months to settle in but I really dont know how much more I can take. Reading how long some of you have all been suffering I may just take it out, and go back to the pill.

I'm 46 and divorced. Many years ago I had tried the copper IUD, but it was getting embedded in my uterus, so had it removed. I recently went and got the Merina inserted (early November 2010). I was told that occasional spotting was a possible side effect, but this is ridiculous. What is the point of having a birth control method when you won't WANT to have sexual relations due to the brown discharge??? I kept thinking surely it would cease, and it did, for 1 day. I am calling tomorrow to make an appointment to have it removed. It has been a waste of my time and money. And embarrassing, to boot. Mirena should be wary of a class action lawsuit due to the fact that they don't tell you that the "spotting" them warn of in their literature is actually brown, smelly, and constant.

Wow... I was going crazy thinking that this bleeding was due to a cancer or something like that ... I had mirena inserted since Dec 2009 and my doctor says it's not due to Mirena after all these months... but pap test and ultrasound scan are both negative! I have constant browning discharge and it's really unpleasant not worthy to have Mirena in if you cannot have sex because of the spotting!!!!

Thankgod I found this site. I have had the mirena coil for 14 months and I have had constant bleeding, some days can be light and others can be ridculously heavy. I am also experiencing really bad abdomen pains almost like contractions its ruining my life I can be driving and have to pull over as im in so much pain. I have been to the doctors and they have examined it and said its nothing but I cant go on like this no more. After reading this I think its time to go and have it removed and try something else. I suggest to anyone to try something else before the coil.

I'm 24 and have had my Mirena since August 2008.It is now March 2011. My spotting has not stopped. Sometimes I would spot for 2 weeks straight then one week no spotting and then spotting again. For me it seems to get heavier and heavier each year. I'm tired of the discharge and I'm also making an appointment to have it removed. I'll go back to the pill and just have my period for a normal 5 days out of the month. Its nice not really having to worry but its a pain when u keep bleeding like this and having discharge.

Happy to see it's not just me. I first had the Mirena inserted in September of 2008 after the birth of my second child. I had constant off and on heavy bleeding for months after and my sex life suffered horribly. In April of 2010 I decided enough was enough and went to my OBGYN who found that the Mirena had dislodged. I had a new one reinserted and went 11 months period free. Just a tinge of spotting here and there. The only side effect I was having was painful intercourse and heavy bleeding after. Now it's been a week since I have been spotting off and on. I am afraid that the Mirena has failed me again as I should not be spotting for this length of time. Going to have the Mirena removed ASAP and try something else. This is really interfering with my life. :'(

Shala.

The copper IUD has no hormones so i suggest alot of you try that if its the convenience you seek.

I've had the mirena in since my baby was 6 weeks she is now 17 weeks and for 14 of those weeks I have been bleeding. I did get 2 weeks off by taking provera tabs. I've since gotten some more and they now won't stop my period! I NEED SEX!! This has impacted on my sexual life imensely and I'm getting sick of it. Thinking maybe I should get it taken out sooner rather than later. Dont want to still be bleeding in another 6 months time. Also I constantly bleed on depo prova (when I was 16 I'm now 24 nearly 25) so maybe my body just doesn't like it. I can't take anything else due to migraines and risk of a stroke :( Life is sucking at the moment. Just craving to be close to my partner :(

I am tired of the constant spotting!!!!!!! I had the Mirena inserted in May 2011 and thought wow, what a relief from heavy bleeding. The bleeding has been reduced drastically, but the spotting has become very annoying. I am a very clean and conscious person, therefore it has put a hinderance on my sex life. I get excited for half a day when I don't see any spotting but then it does not last long. I will keep it in for maybe another thre months, but if the spotting continues, I will have it removed. I will mention it to my docter when I see her on August 3rd. I need my sexlife back!!!!

This was a relief and a bummer to read! I got Mirena put in 5 months ago after having my 2nd daughter. My husband and I don't think we want to have any more kids but we aren't 100% sure we won't try for a boy in the coming years. I am a TERRIBLE pill taker and my husband and I were always having to use other forms of birth control (the unreliable pull-out method or a condom) every time we had sex because I had forgotten to take pills. However, this is no fun either. I had bled for 4 weeks after having my second daughter, got a 2 week break, got Mirena put in and then bled for 10 weeks, got a 2 week break, got my period again July 3 and have been bleeding since. It's been a combination of bright red and the gross brown stuff and tissue looking stuff that comes out when I go to the bathroom. And, I CANNOT handle the smell! It drives me crazy!! Luckily my husband isn't freaked out about it and still wants to have sex all the time, but I have a hard time. Unless we are just getting out of the shower I feel kind of icky. Bless his heart, he pretends he doesn't notice any smell or discharge, but I know he has to. I am also dieting right now and have not noticed any issue with losing weight (I have still been able to lose 35 lbs since starting Mirena), however, I will have days where I almost literally pass out if I haven't eaten in a few hours and I am sure it is because my body gets so low on iron and other nutrients because the constant bleeding sucks everything out of me. I just don't know what to do. Even with good health insurance it costs a pretty penny to get Mirena so I feel like I am wasting money. And, as I said, I do not like the idea of using the pill again. What a bummer this is.

Boy oh boy I wish I had done more reading before I got the mirena....I've always had heavy and long periods so that was annoying.  Finally I had my daughter and things straightened out, i was having clockwork periods Yeah!!! Now i'm almost 40 and I guess my body has decided to become my enemy yet once again.  I started out with longer periods then heavy one month light the next, finally in March of this year I was so heavy I went to the er over it.  Well the doctor put me on birth control pills and I was so hopeful that they would straighten the monster out, but 4 weeks in I was still spotting.  I talked to a friend that really loved her mirena so I said okay thats for me she had it in for a year and only one period and no spotting I was like amazed and thought this was heaven sent :)!!! made the appointment with such high hopes...well it's been in since first week of may and I have had this nasty smelly discharge since day one. I thought okay maybe I'm the only one but from what I'm reading im not.  I hate this thing I have no sex life and have to wear a panty liner everyday.......This has got to be that most annoying type of birthcontrol ever. I want to have it removed but my insurance wont cover but so much in a year so i'm stuck with it till january. I think I will be insane by then. And has anybody else had this problem My breast are so sore I can't stand to have anything touch them.

i have had mine for a year and two months now the spotting does get some better but then there is heavy bleedin that follows it

I am glad that i am not the only one with this problem. But it seems like I am one of tye few people who prefer the constant spotting rather than my period. Yes, I agree it is an annoyance but I prefer this than dry heaving if I dont take midol in before my cramps get too bad. 

Me too the same is going on with me.