I can't believe so many are having this exact same problem. I was beginning to worry that something was really wrong but just about everyone is describing the exact same rusty looking/smelling thick discharge I am experiencing daily. I've had the Mirena since Sept 2007. I got it because I was having extremely heavy periods that were lasting for 7-10 days. Mirena really helped right away. I had virtually no period at all until June of 2011 when I started spotting. At first I attributed it to stress as my husband and I split up at the time but then it got worse and so I figured that maybe the Mirena was coming to the end of its time so had it removed. I waited one month in which I again had a very heavy and long period so decided that I would get a new Mirena which I had inserted on Halloween day 2012 and the spotting has not stopped since exept for maybe a total of 10 days altoghether in that time but very randomly and unpredictable. And now I seem to be getting a "period" every 2 weeks. I am really frustrated because it worked so well for me the first time around but I am to the point that I am seriously considering having it removed and just putting up with the heavy periods or going another route. Since I am 43 my doctor doesn't want to put me on the pill. The thing that bothers me most is the cost of the Mirena...seems like such a waste!

I have had mine for 2 years now. When I first had it placed, I bled for pretty much 6 weeks. Then I never got my period again. I did have one other occasion of spotting right around my 1 year mark, but I was also planning a wedding, and the hormones stress produces can encourage the spotting. 2 weeks ago I had weight loss surgery, and with the dramatic loss in weight I am undergoing, I notice that I am spotting, but can only tell when I use the restroom. I know many women here have had issues with their Mirena, but I have loved mine. However, it is not the right decision for everyone. If you are having trouble, the best thing to do is consult a doctor. If you do not have insurace, seek out a free clinic or a Planned Parenthood in your area for free consultations. Since every woman is different, we need to be more careful about reading things for ourselves on the internet, and let doctors (who go to med school and do this work everyday) help us out! Good Luck to you all!

This is very similar to my situation. I'm 40 now and had the mirena inserted in 2009. For the first 1.5 to 2 years it did decrease my periods. They were fewer days long and the discharge was brownish. Then in early 2012, I started spotting at different times of the month and lasting for longer and longer. I went to see my GP and she sent me to a OBGYN who ran tests and told me that everything was normal. I had a pelvic ultrasound to check insertion and again, all normal. The abnormal spotting continued and now I never know when I'm getting my actual period. There are only two or three days out of the month that I have no bleeding but I still have to wear a pantiliner every day because just recently, I've started to get strong bleeding, without any warning that its about to happen. The mirena is coming out as soon as I figure out what method of birth control to move to next.

I'm so glad I found this page.  I've been having the same problem.  I'm turning 22 this year and will have had my Mirena for a year this June.  I have very very bed endometriosis and have been on every form of birth control since it's supposed to help with the pain and constant (every day with maybe 2 days of no bleeding between) heavy periods.  My OBGYN took me off the 3 month injection because it made me break out and gave me migraines and she was concerned since I was on it for 5 years already.  It worked well however since it took away my periods but it didn't stop the growths.  So she put me on Mirena after yet another operation to remove the growths.  At first it seemed to work for the first two months since my period didn't return but since September last year I started to spot again at weird times and by November my periods came back full force! And it has just gotten worse with regards to heaviness (it will go for 2 weeks straight, then stop for 2 - 3 days and start again for a week or 2, then just stop for 3 - 6 weeks).  I'm constantly tired with low blood pressure, sometimes it drops so suddenly that I feel faint, I'm almost too scared to drive these days.  It's been really bad the last 3 weeks again and now my migraines has also returned.  I really don't have time to deal with this now since I'm doing my honours in B.Sc. Forensic Genetics with Forensic Entomology as an extra subject so I really need to be able to concentrate and work and I just can't do that now.  I'm really so glad I'm not the only one struggling with this problem, if anyone has any advice please tell me because I'm fed up with this.  I'm considering having my ovaries removed just to stop the bleeding and endometriosis since that's the only cure thus far.

Good-luck to all having this problem!

Thank you for this, really helpful. I have exactly the same symptoms as you. I never knew my bloating was related! Hope you're sorted now.

how long did u have it in for? im having these exact issues and even got put on the pill to try and stop the spotting but its not working they keep saying wait 6 months to a year ive had mine 2 months and its driving me crazy......

Ladies, it seems that we all are experiencing the same annoying thing. Obviously we got Mirena to make our lives easier and to free ourselves from the trouble of periods. But it seems that it is more of a hassle than what we were promised. I have not found one person who hasn't experienced this... If you haven't, you are extremely lucky! But for me and the many women who have told their experiences, it's just a pain in our butts. Sex isn't the same. Honestly it's embarrassing. I have been with this guy for a while. He joined the military and went through boot camp. So when graduation came around and I was there to visit, obviously sex would happen. When it came down to it, we had to lay a towel down everytime so blood wouldn't get everywhere. It didnt bother him but it sure did embarrass me. This was the only time I got to see him and I'm bleeding the whole stay. He couldn't even do oral. I don't know if it is even worth waiting the year to see if it will stop or not. It's a gamble, it may not seem big but it is frustrating for women. I think I have spent more money on pads to cover a normal period for three years, in just one year!!!! Honestly I'd rather have my normal period and feel clean than always spotting nasty brown blood/discharge that always leaves me feeling so nasty. Plus im starting to see compsation commercials on tv about it which concerns me even more. I want kids eventually, I dont want this perminantly fixing me. Mirena seriously needs to work on their product more.

im only 18 and my doctor recommended it because i have indemetriosis  (not sure on the spelling) but ovarian cysts. The mirena was supose to stop the blood flow, there for smaller cysts but ive had mirena for exactly 3 months and the doctor said the spotting will stop within 3 months.  I will go a couple days with nothing and then out of the blue i will start to spot and it will go for a few days..

I have this same issue as well as pain in my lower back left side and lower abdomen left side

I'm 48 and had my Mirena inserted 18 months ago on the recommendation of a couple of my friends in their 50's, to help stop my super-heavy periods.  They both told me how they now had no periods at all and it was great!  I don't need birth control so its only purpose is to regulate my periods and eliminate the flooding that I was experiencing.  My spotting is pretty much the same as everyone else has described - I thought I would give it a good 12 months to settle down but its still happening.  I would be lucky to have 2-4 days a month without spotting, and now and then (like this morning in the car on the way to work) I will just have a small gush of bright red blood, more than my panty liner can cope with.  Luckily I made it to work in time to prevent an embarassing disaster. I know now to keep supplies of liners, pads and tampons on me at all times.  I saw my doctor last week and got a referral for an ultrasound, just in case it is not in right or I have fibroids or something like that.  However, after reading all these posts I am not too optimistic.  I am still not sure which is worse - the heavy periods and flooding I was having that lasted a week, or the constant spotting.  It does have a negative effect on the sex life and I would like to get that back to normal.  I am going to Thailand in less than 2 weeks so don't think I should rock the boat just now - taking it out might give me a heavy period at the time I least want one.  But once I get back i will be seeing my doctor about options.  The trouble is, at my age the heavy periods are quite common, and I don't know what other option there is other than to take everything out (docotors don't seem too keen on this idea) or just hang out another few years for menopause.

I had mirena put in Oct. 2012 after the birth of my 3rd child.  I really didn't have too many problems with the pill but had heard how convinient the IUD was and that many times it stopped your period completely.  My cycle has been so random.  I was period/spotting free all of Jan & Feb then spotted off & on for most of March...now here I am spotting again today (4/15).  It does have this nasty smell and I am so sick of constantly wearing pantyliners b/c I never know what or when it might happen.  I have had it in for 7 months now but I am seriously thinking about having it removed.  The contant spotting & ickyness has put a damper on my sex life plus my other issues has been the oilyness and thinning of my hair.  I never had a lot of acne or pimples but since starting the mirena, my skin and hair are SO oily, it is disgusting.  My face breaks out and my hair is so oily that if I shower in the morning, my mid-day it looks like I haven't washed my hair for days.  i have also noticed hairloss...like chunks of hair on my brush.  I am supposed to see my dr. in late May and might be going back to my bc pill.  I would rather have a regular period every month and know what to expect than this random BS!

What is weird though is that i have two friends on their second mirena and one had no problems and was completely period free.  The other gal had a monthly period but it was really light.  I don't think either one of them had this random spotting and other side effects.  I guess it is just different for every woman.  It just sicks that I paid $300 (deductible) to have the dang thing put in and I don't like it at all.

I have only had this thing since March 29 and it is April 23, Two days after it was inserted i started my period for 14days! After i didnt spot for about a day and have been spotting every day, little string clots more so, and spot more heavily after sex or any heavy activity (working out, gardening, heavy cleaning). I feel a pinching in my lower abdomin if i bend to for left or right! And my husband feels the damn strings every time we have sex and i believe I have gain weight!

I have it also I got it inserted January 2013 and I barely cramped after it was inserted I bled like normal the first month second month I had nothing this month I actually had a period But barely I've been cramping for at least a month its not excruciating but it definitely is noticeable I'm concerned not knowing what's going on and I don't really know what to do from here I'm not sure if its serious or not anyone else have this problem?

but the bleeding this month wasn't normal either it was often on light has the knot color right and the cramps have continued the entire time I even had some weird discharge I thought smelled funny I'm not sure what to think am I alone?

Wow, here I thought I was the only one.  It's gotten to where my hubby thinks I'm making up being on my period all the time!  That rusty brownish thick foul smelling discharge is awful!  My natural odor has changed, and it's NOT good!  I no longer cramped, which was great, and my periods which used to be 7 full days had dropped down to 3.  Well, here I am 4 years later, and things are getting worse.  I had the discharge which I'm guessing is the period for a week, now, I've been bleeding bright red for over a week.  The bright red is thin, not thick at all which is really scary.  I'm going to be 43 in 2 months, so I do not want to get pregnant, but I think my hubby & I are going to have to talk about him getting snipped.  I also don't know if this has anything to do with Mirena, but when we do have intercourse, I don't get the intensity that I used to.  Therefore, I'm losing interest, and I don't want my husband to feel neglected.  Anyway, I'm calling the doc today.  This thing needs to come out, and I want to know where the bright red bleeding is coming from!  Thank you for this forum so that I know I'm not crazy!