I find this information to be incredibly revealing. For a long time I have believed that my miscarriage, seven years ago, was induced by a pap smear. I have asked two doctors, since that time if there is a correlation between pap smears and subsequent miscarriages. And both have said no.
Back then I was healthy, 10 weeks pregnant (confirmed by a home test) and had a scheduled doctor's appointment. My doctor took a blood test and confirmed that I was pregnant. Then she did a pap test "because I was there." That night I began to spot; by morning time I had a heavier flow. I called the doctor and she suggested bed rest with a follow up ultrasound the next day. At the ultrasound I was told that there was no heart beat and that I had miscarried. This was my third pregnancy. I had already had two very normal pregnancies and two wonderful children.----Like the previous writer I share this in hopes that someone is tabulating the number of miscarriages that occur directly after a pap smear-----so that, scientifically, a correlation can be established. This shocks and saddens me-----to think that 'how many' pregnancies may have resulted in miscarriages these past seven years. Is there no doctor or researcher or news health program that could investigate this and publicize it to a larger audience----to help women understand the risks they take when they agree to a first term pap smear?

Last Thursday, we experienced something similar. My wife had a pap smear at 20 weeks on that Tuesday. The next day she started feeling cramps in her lower abdomen. We called the nurses and doctor several times in which they replied that this was a normal part of the pregnancy for this stage. They also said to elevate her feet and take Tylenol. The next day she noticed some spotting and bleeding. We went to the ER, they eventually got us to the labor and delivery room. My wife gave birth that night.

I think getting this pap smear had something to do with it. Why would so many people be concerned about it if it wasn't a reality. We completely lost our trust in this GYN. She was so cold when she came in to our room afterward.

I STRONGLY ADVISE ANY WOMAN WHO IS PREGNANT TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER HER BABY IS BORN TO HAVE A SMEAR TEST.
I HAD A LOOP CONE BIOPSY FOR CIN 3 AND LATER BECAME PREGNANT, AT 16WEEKS IN A HOSPITAL MIX UP I WAS GIVEN A SMEAR INSTEAD OF A COLPOSCOPY AND AS A RESULT I LOST MY DAUGHTER.
THERE WAS AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE SERIES OF EVENTS AND A GYNAECOLOGIST EXPLAINED THAT EVEN IF CIN HAD BEEN FOUND THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO UNTIL AFTER THE BIRTH OF THE BABY AND THAT ALTHOUGH COLPOSCOPIES ARE SAFE DURING PREGNANCY SHE COULD NOT UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR THE SMEAR TEST.
DO NOT AGREE TO IT-I SCATTERED MY GIRLS ASHES IN OCTOBER THIS YEAR ALL BECAUSE I NEVER STOOD UP AND SAID NO.

This information about pap smears and pelvic exams needs to get out there.
My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage and I'm pretty sure I had a pap smear. Since then, I have had a healthy baby boy who is now 2 and a half.
We were excited to be pregnant again and found a different doctor. I had my first pelvic exam last Friday... because the ultrasound tech was not there I didn't get a chance to hear the baby's heart beat. Well I was told I was 9 weeks pregnant. This time there was no pap smear, but this Tuesday I started bleeding and today Thursday I passed the fetus. I am 44 so the chances for me to get pregnant again are slim. I am so confused and angry right now after reading about other women who have had a similar experience. I have called the doctor's office and want to have the fetus examined for problems. I wonder if I will even get a call back!

I went to the DOC yesterday and after telling her that I've already a pap in Feb. She said that we should go ahead and have another. Not knowing any different I went ahead with it. When she poped up her hand was full of blood as were the tools that were used. I had blood all over me. My poor husband looked so sad. I am still bleeding today however, the doc has continued to tell us that all is normal. We are so scared!

We firmly believe that internal exam at an early stage pf pregnancy can cause bleeding, cramping and eventual miscarriage. My wife was not showing any symptoms of miscarriage at all when she went to see her family doctor (a general doctor) (Feb 17'09). My wife had only wanted to get confirmation from the doctor's clinic if she is pregnant after she used a pregnancy test at home a month earlier which showed positive and a referral to a specialist (obgyn). The doctor did not do exactly what my wife had requested. Intead, the doctor did a physical along with internal exam. Was the internal exam necessary at the time? Can't the procedure be done later by a specialist (obgyn)? My wife started to see a brownish discharge and spotting in the evening of the same day the internal exam was done. The next day my wife started to notice clots and more spotting, then followed by bleeding and cramping (excruciating pain). we then lost a 6weeks-2days old fetus. We feel the doctor caused my wife's bleeding and cramping that resulted to her to miscarry. I condemn this malpractice by some doctors in canada (not to generalize them all) who will do a procedure on a patient that is not necessary and then charge it to the health system and they get more money. the health system is being abused big time. most doctors says it's common in america to miscarry...they never realize though that internal exam is one of the contributing factors to it. If you happen to live in toronto, the doctor who did this to my wife was Dr Brian J. Green at 75 donway. Never trust this doctor. I also found out recently on ratemds.com his patients' negative review questioning his shoddy medical practice. To all future pregnant women - my advice to you is never allow your doctor to do an internal exam in your early of pregnancy! NEVER!!!!!Take care of yourselves.

hello there, here is my story...Last year around august of 08, i missed my period, went for prenatal care immediately at around 6 weeks, they did a pap smear and everything was fine, what i did not like was the fact that with the ultrasound they siad i was about 4-5 weeks and i should have been 6 weeks based on lmp, well i did not like the way they treated me there in that clinic so i switched to anohter one, i had the first pap smear on the clinic i switched from on 08/28, followed by another prenatal care visit to a family doctor that my friend recommended to me, that was on 09/04, htey insisted on doing a pelvic all over again saying that it was necessary since the other clinic woudl not send them my records, i agreed, that was in the morning, in the afternoon around 4pm i feel somehign come out adn it was a bit of blood, i called the office and they told me that it was normal after a pap, i relaxed stayed in bed for around a week, stopped bleeding after 2 days, but then it would start again occassionally, but then on 09/10 i had my u/s and they figured that it was a miscarriage since they could not see a heart beat, and the baby measured 5.5 weeks, and i should have been around 8 weeks, i had to have a dnc because my body was not releasing by itself, i guess i have tried ot come up with ideas as to what could have happened but i come to the conclusion that i started to spot since the day i had the pelvic exam, but then again so many women have it for their own good, i wonder if 2 pelvic exams within 2 weeks could have caused that miscarriage, i am now pregnant again, and i am refusing to go to the doctor until after 8 weeks pregnant since i am going to be 8 weeks next week and all my miscarriages have happened within 7 weeks i am crossing my fingers but this time i am going to def reject the pelvic exam since i had it last 6 mnths ago, i am going to refuse deeply since i have had in total 3 miscarriages, the first one though i had a tubal pregnancy i do not remember the name for it now, but yeah it was very painful, now i am not wanting to go to the doctor since what is going to happen will happen regardless but this time no doctor will speed up the process, or help me for that matter,
good luck to you ladies in the future trying to conceive and wish me good luck, thank you

As similar to the statesments already made, the same thing just happened to me. I have two healthy children, very easy pregnancies and in my 10th week of the 3rd prenancy, I had a doctors visit and a pap smear. I started light cramping the next day with a little spotting, but I didn't think anything of it. When it continued for another day and was getting heavier I went to the hospital where they told me there was no heart beat in the ultrasound and that I miscarried. I want to know where the research is that many websites are claiming there is no connection between pap smears and miscarrigaes. Anyone know? This website seems to disprove that theory.

I was 10 weeks pregnant and while I was at my ob appointment lying on the exam table, I told the doctor I didn't want the pap. He told me that it was nessesary. During the exam I told him it hurt and I started to lift up. He took his hand and pushed me back down, told me to lay still and that it was my imagination.
As soon as my appointment was finished I used the bathroom in their office and I was bleeding! As soon as I got home I bled horribly and the cramping was so intense that I had to go to the ER. I was begging for them to give me something for the pain but they wouldn't. After a full night of bleeding and pain I finally miscarried that bext morning in a bed pan! I saw my tiny baby. The hospital did a DNC right after. I know that the doctor did something to me! I was fine before that appointment, even while I was sitting in the waitingroom. I am now 7 weeks with my 4th child (5th counting my lost baby). My first ob appointment is in 2 days and the area I live only has one ob office and I know this doctor insists on doing paps. Well I am refusing! I will NEVER allow entry down there before 14 weeks.
Shannon

I have been trying to research information if the is any correlation between pap-smears and miscarriage as I just suffered a similar experience like some of you. Here's my sory:
I was about 6wks pregnant and had a pap-smear done during my first pre-natal checkup. There was some bleeding on the tool after the exam and the doctor said i probably had an inflammation on my cervix and not to worry about it. I started spotting after the exam for about 2-3 days and then i got worried and decided to go to the ER as the doctors office was closed. I had some bloodwork and vaginal ultrasound done and it showed a strong fetal heartbeat (140bpm) and everything else looked fine. I called the dr the next day to inform him and he just ordered me to have complete bed rest for 2wks which i did. The spotting continued and by the end of the 2wks I had another ultrasound only to find out there was no heartbeat. I was diagnosed with incomplete abortion and was given the option to pass the tissue or have a D&C. I was in complete denial as i was not experiencing heavy bleeding or cramping so i decided to wait. 2 days later i started bleeding heavily, I had another ultrasound which confirmed the incomplete miscarriage, and I decided to have a D&C. I still think the pap-smear contributed to my miscarriage.

I am very concerned that my first prenatal exam caused me to have a miscarriage. I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks and everything was developing well (strong heartbeat, etc.) I went in for me first prenatal exam at 11 weeks and 5 days. My Doctor recommended a pap with the pelvic exam because I hadn't had one done in a year and a half. I was hesitant but I said ok based on the fact that I figured everyone has them done while pregnant so it should be fine. If I had read these posts first, I never would have allowed it. I had bleeding at the exam. My husband and I felt that it was a lot of blood but the Doctor said that it would be fine and that it would likely spot for 24-48 hours. I called the Doctor's office when the spotting did not stop after 2 days and they said it might just take a few more days but that morning I woke up with a little bit of bleeding. It went back to spotting for the rest of that day but the next day I had cramping.

On Monday I had the exam and on Friday at 12 weeks and 2 days, I had a miscarriage. The Doctor at the Hospital said that it was the body's way of getting rid of a fetus that is not developing properly but things seemed to be going well until the prenatal.

I don't think that the pap causes miscarriages in most women but these posts make me think that it might cause them in some women so I will not be having one next time.

I just went and had my pap smear. Told the doctor I could be pregnant and he said that a pap is normal. I will say that with both my last pregnancies, I felt nothing, but this time, was followed by mild cramping. We weren't trying to get pregnant, but I still don't want to lose it if I am.
With my last two, I was always excited when the doctor would check me close to my due date, because within a day or few hours, I was in the delivery room.

I just experienced the same thing. I was 10 weeks pregnant at my first exam and everything was just like my other 2 healthy pregnancies. When I went into the doctor exam he gave me a pap smear and within 48 hours I started bleeding and then it progressed to a miscarriage within 2 days. This is terrible and there really should be some research against the obvious correlation that occurs between pap smears and miscarriage in the first trimester. This would have been my third child and my first miscarriage. My first two pregnancies were fine and resulted in two healthy babies. I did have significant bleeding after my first exam with my second child but it did not result in miscarriage. I am accepting of the miscarriage but will never allow a pap smear in the first trimester again.

I would just like everyone to know that I have started a site that is devoted specifically to this topic. I was motivated to do this after a pap smear caused my wife to have a miscarriage.

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I am heartbroken by all of these devastating testimonies of the very painful consequences of pap smears during pregnancy. I experienced the same thing as so many others here. I was about 10 wks. along and very nauseous 24/7 when I went in for a pre-natal. I was given a pap smear. Then NEXT day, I felt much less nauseous, then started bleeding dark, then bright red blood. The mis-carriage occurred that weekend. I discovered later that the mid-wife for my 1st pregnancy refuses to do pap smears for this very reason. The risk of pap smears terminating pregnancy are VERY high. I am quite furious that the medical system doesn't AT LEAST INFORM patients of the POTENTIAL risks. Pap smears certainly have their place, but NOT during such a vulnerable, delicate stage in a woman's / fetus' life. I am not at the age to be messing around like this. It is time for some honesty...and less invasive practices. The cycle of pregnancy is natural and beautiful. Our bodies, if well cared for, have been enabled by our Creator to conceive and nurture LIFE. :!: