My 13 year old daughter has been having breathing problems and coughing up very black mucus n the morning doctors don't know what it is, does anyone know why?

Hi Monique! I REALLY want you to take your daughter to the doctors! This sounds like a VERY bad infection - which can manifest itself via just irritation with your lungs! I would like her to have a chest xray and also to be put on a puffer! Black most often means BLOOD - whcih can be from coughing and visa versa! So don't take chances OK? And please let me know how you make out! Good ludk and health!

My 13 year old went to two doctors and noone can help us but thanks anyway.Still coughing up black mucus chunks in the morning.

Did they do a chest xray? When she coughs up again, I want you to put this in a container and take it to the doctors! You have to INSIST on them helping you, and when you show them the proof that "THIS" is what is coming of her chest! Some doctors think that parents over exagerate, so they might be thinking that "Oh that can't be, she must be talking about phlegm..." IF you take a sample to them and they STILL don't do anything about it! I want you to say this "OK since you are not going to help me, I want you to write that you think that this black mucus from my 13 year old's chest is NOTHING, AND I want you to sign for it!" This is about them getting off their lazy behinds and investigate what is going on with her! They will GET what I want you to tell them! That they can be sued for NOT doing anything, if something is found out! And I doubt that they will be willing to do that! And as someone whom has contacted the media over the way our family was treated - my mother was almost killed by a negligant nurse - then you say to them "OK I will be going to the media about this" You phone a tv station and a newspape and tell them you have a sample of your daughters illness, and NO ONE will help you! BUT that is after you have created a stink and DEMANDED more! there is one thing I've learnt is NEVER TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER! Please let me know how things go OK? Use your mom powers!!! ;-)

hey bambie you know i dont like stepping on your toes but another possibility.....

check for any systemic fungal infections. healthy individuals dont usually surcome (sp) to fingal infections but if her immune system is compromised its always a possibility. Moniquewa, where abouts in the world do you live?
also is you daughter using alot of steroidal inhalers or taking any type of steriods to help manage her asthma? these surpress the immune system leaving her body vulnerable to infections.

thanks....
ok bambie taking a step back :-D ;-)

Your funny! And HI!!!!! The thing is Bio, she is not getting any testing or any help! It definitely sounds like a massive infection, and the black will be blood - form the irritation! She just has to DEMAND more! I get REALLY high blood pressure when I think of the people that get turned down by doctors! We have fought for years - publically! For better healthcare and for more investigations and to be accountable for cuts etc! so cut in any time honey! Now back to your post!!!! ;-) XD

No parent wants to think their child is doing drugs, but if your child seems otherwise healthy, consider the idea that your teen may be smoking marijauana. Marijuanna is known to cause black mucus...especially in heavy users. I would eliminate this posibility with an over the counter drug screen test from the pharmacy before I spent more money on doctors visits and chest xrays.