I am trying out this site for the first time in hopes that someone has an idea of what is wrong with my feet! My feet (both left and right) tend to become very sweaty, and have quite the odor. This is not due to the lack of showering either.... Just the other night I showered, sat in bed, and nearly twenty minutes later they were clammy and stunk. Not only is excessive sweating a problem, but they also peel. This is not a dry flaky peeling, it is more of a moist bubbling, and then they peel away. It is mainly on the ball of my foot, along with on the bottom of each toe and in between the toes. I currently use a Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder (maximum strength) every time I put on a sock in hopes to eliminate the sweating while wearing a shoe. This worked at first, but it seems to do nothing anymore. Does anybody have any ideas as to what this could be, or how it can be helped?

On a side note: It doesn't itch, or hurt. It is just very inconvenient considering I am a college student... the last thing I want my dorm room to smell like is stinky feet!!! Also, my sister has the same thing happening with her feet, so by answering you will be helping both of us! I am just using this as a way to get ideas, but I am going to see my doctor shortly about the problem if I can't find a remedy.

Thank you in advance!

I am also a college student at the moment and also have the same problem! My feet aren't dry or cracked at all, yet seem to whiten and peel at the ball, especially after having walked or exercised a lot. If you find out what's wrong, I'd love to know, as well.

Win09, I think you might have caught some fungal infection while showering and that is what is causing excessive sweating and also the cracking up and peeling the skin on your feet. That is condition similar to athlete's foot. You should try using an over-the-counter anti fungal ointment, lotion, powder or spray first, but if that doesn't help, well, see a doctor to get some prescription treatment. And make sure you always dry your feet completely after showering.

Nikols offered very sound recommends for addressing the results of your problems. That said, there are preventative measures to be considered to elinate the cause/s.

1. CLEAN the INSIDE of ALL of your SHOES -- sports and dress shoes. Take a cotton wash cloth, saturate it with hydrogen peroxide to remove the bacteria lurking inside them. It may take more than one attempt to loosen built-up bacteria causing both the sweating and smell. Note: SLIPPERS, if they are cloth -- especially with foam padding, and cannot be laundered, replace them! The foam will cause the feet to sweat, but wearing socks does put a layer of protection there.

2. Wear 100% COTTON SOCKS. Before laundering, turn them inside out. If you wear nylons in a dress shoe, be sure to wipe the inside of the shoes with peroxide again. Nylons (like any synthetic) breed sweat and invite bacteria build-up, so washing them out with a few DROPS of shampoo is much better than soap.

3. AVOID walking around in bare feet. Feet emit natural oils that attract bacteria present on wood or tile floors, as well as carpeting. (Bare feet on carpeting leaves those oils in the carpet: enter - more bacteria.) Wear socks instead, and look for the type that have skid-proof applications.

4. Make sure the bottom of the SHOWER / TUB are clean on a daily basis. Easy method: Cleaner with Bleach (Dollar stores have them at a substantial savings), and a scrubber made of net into a ball -- on a stick (plastic or wood, also at Dollar stores for $1-$2). This scrubber eliminates bending over the tub or shower, and makes cleaning super easy. Spray the Cleaner liberally, let it sit for 10 minutes. Spray again and use the scrubber to clean the bottom and sides of the tub/shower. Rinse well.

5. While drying feet thoroughly, ease the towel over the cuticles of your toe nails to loosen dead skin cells. Be sure to clean under all ten toes nails where bacteria has collected to avoid a fungal problem from happening.

6. For your feet -and for any toe nails that have changed color, pop a Vitamin-E pill open and massage it into those areas that ary or tender. Put on a pair of cotton socks, even if for 15 minutes, so the E can be absorbed. The healing process of E has few boundaries, and can keep your feet and toe nails healthy.

7. For exceptionally dry feet, massage them after bathing with Olive Oil. Celebs use it everywhere, and it does soften the skin.

You may have a case of athletes foot or fungal infection. Apply lamisil Cream 2x a day, then a foot powder. Change socks as needed each day. Avoid synthetic leather footwear. Use towel slippers and change as they get moist and throw in washing machine and dryer. Good luck.

Hello Win09,

it's been some time, but both posters after me offered some good advice - I still think you were at the time having feet problems due to fungal infection such as athlete’s foot (you can catch it quite easily if you go to the gym and shower there barefoot, or if you do the same at public swimming pools). Did you manage to solve your problem? Could you tell us how you did it and did you find the actual cause?

Wish you all the best,

Nicole